Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

RVing Abroad

Are there other countries (non-North America) where people do RVing? Not to get political but if November doesn't go as I desperately want it to -- please no political arguments, only RV advice please -- I'm seriously considering moving abroad. But next year we are planning to start full timing in our fifth wheel which I'd not like to give up if possible. I'm wondering if there are countries we'd be able to continue full timing. I realize this is no doubt just a crazy pipe dream but I'm researching it anyway.
GCA1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #2

All the European countries have RVers and nice campgrounds. Check out this blogger. They recently moved to France. Lots of information on their move. Note on the top colored heading the top line has U.S. info and the bottom line has Europe info. Lots of good links on the right side, also. It'll take you a long time to read about it as she is a fine detailer in everything she does.

https://wheelingit.us/blog-links-resources/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Non-North America places that have RVers?

The only place that doesn't is Antartica, and maybe only a few in Greenland.

I have traveled a bit around this old world, and am pretty sure I have seen RV's on pretty well every continent.

Might be a bit scetchy in some of the poorer African countries, but people still camp out in overland style RV's there.

Motorhomes sales have exploded in the Scandinavian countries in the past 5-10 years. Also in many European areas as well.

If you plan to head for Europe, be sure you have a good sized bank account. Fuel prices will shock you!

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

And New Zealand & Australia.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #5

In much of Europe you can pull over and camp anywhere that is safe. Europeans are pretty relaxed about letting you use a few feet of their lot. I would strongly caution one about RVing in Britain - it's tough enough driving a wee car there! Scandinavia is certainly the most laid back and camper friendly but that $8/gal gas could cause one distress given that driving from southern to northern Sweden is the same as San Diego to British Columbia!
Old 10-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #6

Europe is going on lockdown. And getting into OZ and NZ is impossible right now. Tough times to try and sort out international travel. Hopefully, things will get better by spring.

The RVing in OZ and NZ is amazing.
craigt3365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:36 PM   #7

Better by "spring" means spring of 2022 with the current out of control situation in the United States. 1000 people dying every day in this country and 90,000 new cases each day so it is crazy to think that the Covid-19 pandemic is ending here before 2022.

We bought a new RV as we cancelled our overseas trips for 2020 and plan to travel around in the more rural parts of the western USA. The $20,000 a year we spent on travel is now going into the RV.

Bush-Cheney said that the war in Iraq would be over in a couple of months and that was in March of 2003. After 18 years we are still there and of course in Afghanistan soldiers are still dying there after 20 years of our occupation.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:53 PM   #8

Would you have to rent an RV or is there an economical way of transporting what you already own?

I remember that cargo ships do have a few cabins for passengers, so is that an option--travelling with your RV?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #9

RVing Abroad

We’ve rented Class C motor homes in both New Zealand and South Africa....no issues what so ever except we would have liked to stayed longer.
thetravelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #10

Wish the OP would have returned to let us know what his plans are!!
Old 11-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #11

We travel extensively. Camping and campgrounds are super common in Europe. Trailers are smaller and pulled by cars (as trucks are rare). Lots of snowbird campgrounds in the south of Spain and Portugal as well as Morocco. In some areas of Spain you would think the spoken language is German in winter. .
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wish the OP would have returned to let us know what his plans are!!
So sorry for not circling back to my own thread! To say the least these last several months have been weird and overwhelming. Frankly I forgot I even posted this question.

I appreciate all this info about RVing abroad. I'm feeling more optimistic now--that I won't need to expat myself to another country. But aside from that I've been trying to get to the UK for an extended trip. Renting a Class C sounds like a good option to get around at a somewhat reasonable cost, vs hotels and a rental car.

All of this is still a vague bucket list wish. But it's ever-so-slightly closer now that I'm retired (lost my job thanks to COVID). Thank you all for this info. I've printed out the posts to keep in my "UK trip" file. It will be super helpful.

Thanks again to you all. Happy trails!!

Cindi & Gregg
GCA1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #13

Glad you have somewhat of a plan! Good luck!!

Tags
rving