Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:44 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Top of The World Highway?

We're in Dawson City, YT tonight, having driven the Klondike Highway from Carmacks this morning. There's a lot of work being done on the Klondike and it was about 30km of really bad washboard/gravel roads. That and deep/muddy ruts that we could've easily gotten stuck in.

Our original plan was just to come to Dawson City, take the toad on the Top of the World highway for a day trip, then bring the rig back down to Whitehorse.

The road is so bad between here and Whitehorse we're having second thoughts. Several people in the RV park here have said "they've repaved the Top of the World---it's much better than it used to be. You can do it easy. Just take your time." None of them had a big rig however...

The TOTW highway has a terrible reputation, which is why we just wanted to see it in the jeep. But now we're wondering if anyone has done it recently in a 45 foot tag-axle motorhome. I'm extremely reluctant to do it, but the way back is a nightmare too. I think I got about 50,000 miles of vibration in 20 miles of road.

Anybody have experience this year? We're still taking the jeep tomorrow, but we won't be able to do the whole thing, so whatever recent advice anyone has will be helpful.

Thanks...
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #2

Check out the info being posted daily in " Alaska summer 2022 "

In travel forums . Alaska , Canada , Mexico and beyond .

A lot of members in the area posting on road conditions .
Old 06-07-2022, 08:28 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Check out the info being posted daily in " Alaska summer 2022 "

In travel forums . Alaska , Canada , Mexico and beyond .

A lot of members in the area posting on road conditions .
Thanks, Skip.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #4

Sure wish I could offer additional info here, Bob but, as you know, you all are our guinea pigs.

I hope it improves for you all, see you in August!

David
Old 06-07-2022, 07:52 PM   #5

The "highway" is a gravel road in AK, blacktop in Canada. The AK part was smoother than the old broken-up blacktop in CA., but that was 2012. That is likely repaved now, but weather is rough on roads there.

We were traveling with a group, of which 7 were MH's, none had any issues driving the TOTW "highway"
There are several tricks to driving the gravel portion in AK, the first of which is Drive Slow!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:00 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Following
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:52 PM   #7

While not "recent" we did the TOTW in 2015 in our 38 DP. Basically a piece of cake, with the worst moments I recall was getting on and off the ferry, lol. When you get closer to Chicken AK you'll be running on more packed dirt than gravel, but it hadn't rained for about 4 days so was easily traveled without getting muddy. If I get up there again I would do it again without a concern (other than weather). Safe travels.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:43 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
While not "recent" we did the TOTW in 2015 in our 38 DP. Basically a piece of cake, with the worst moments I recall was getting on and off the ferry, lol.
We took the Jeep yesterday to check out the route--at least part of it. The road was no big deal (at least the first 50 miles we drove from Dawson City). Gravelly--not many potholes/heaves. The ferry was concerning though, especially after we watched two class Cs struggle with getting off---the crew were trying to help with boards to smooth out the off ramp drop. They did make it off, evidently without issues. After seeing that, two Class As that were in line opted (apparently) to not do the ferry. We never saw them again.

It's an unusual ferry in that there's no solid concrete/steel ramp there. It's a gravel ramp that is constantly being shaped by a bulldozer. Ferry leaves the dock, bulldozer re-shapes the ramp. When we came back from our 50 mile drive, there was a pretty good drop for the jeep to get off the ferry. Seemed like a foot, but probably 7-8 inches. Enough to make me wonder about the tail end getting whacked when the tag axle did that drop. Big signs on the approach "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE." Looked like an opportunity to get high-centered too.

So we're heading back south on the Klondike this morning.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #9

You might consider driving the Jeep over to Chicken AK(they do have overnight accommodations too) and back, that would be a days drive taking it easy. Some of the views are spectacular.

Then there is buying the obligatory refrigerator magnet that says "I got laid in Chicken Alaska".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top_of_the_World_Highway2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	367730  
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #10

Sorry the Klondike was so bad for you. It's normally a very nice drive. If you go back that way and continue to Tok from Whitehorse I think you'll find the rest of your drive could be awful. You'll be going through the Destruction Bay/Beaver Creek area which is always in poor condition. I would definitely do the TOTW Hwy to bypass all of it. (Someone just posted this past week about the drive to Tok from Whitehorse and he didn't like it at all.) The Top of the World Hwy was a nice drive when we did it and it seems to be better in May/June rather than the mid-season when more are on it. We took the ferry and Top of the World Hwy with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep with absolutely no issues. Tour buses and semi trucks do the ferry and route. I don't think it's 'mostly paved'. Part of it was chipsealed years ago & I don't think it's been redone since then.

Once you get to Tok plan on washing the rig before all the mud hardens.

Let us know after your drive what you elected to do! Remember.... you're on an adventure!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:45 PM   #11

Friends of ours just drove it a couple of days ago and had a magical trip.

They are down in the lower Yukon and have encountered massive flooding in some campgrounds.

This is the Teslin campground they stayed in on the way up. All the non-flooded sites are full so they had to move on.

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	368280

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	368281
Old 06-15-2022, 09:07 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
An update: We made it to Tok, and took the Jeep up to Chicken a couple of days ago. Definitely worth the drive up there to see it. (It's about 1.5 hours from Tok)

The road from Tok to Chicken wasn't too bad, and way better than the Klondike Highway. We saw several big tag-axle rigs coming down the pass into Chicken, so evidently it wasn't an issue. Still--getting on and off that ferry looked potentially bad.

I do have some dash cam video of some of the Klondike Highway construction.

https://youtu.be/rlRWwLNzTus

https://youtu.be/FyMQYpuIlCs

https://youtu.be/fTTUMyA1s1U

No sound, otherwise you'd hear plenty of cussing...

Thanks to everyone for chiming in...
Old 06-15-2022, 02:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaldeen View Post

I do have some dash cam video of some of the Klondike Highway construction.

https://youtu.be/rlRWwLNzTus

https://youtu.be/FyMQYpuIlCs

https://youtu.be/fTTUMyA1s1U

No sound, otherwise you'd hear plenty of cussing...

Thanks to everyone for chiming in...
We encountered the thick, deep, rutted mud around Whitehorse one year. One doesn't dare to come to a complete stop in that stuff or you might not get going again. Sorry it wasn't better for you. Onward.....

So.... you made it to Dawson but then you turned around & drove through this stuff again?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:39 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bsaldeen, I watched your YouTube videos. Thanks for sharing! Question did they stop the opposite direction traffic so that you could travel? Looked like a two lane road down to a one way road. How deep was the mud you were travelling on?

Thanks
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote