Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #15

Does CN law allow reviewing of cell phone content without a warrant?
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #16

Even in Canada Border agents seem to have enormous unfettered power. But I have never been asked for my phone going either direction.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Canada Customs Primary border booths do not have access to CCW information, they do have a hit/miss for CPIC/NCIC/INTERPOL/USCBP/CBSA etc. When you are referred inside, that is where the secondary officers have more detailed access to National and Local LE databases.

Every day there are numerous cases where US Citizens who do not declare long guns/handguns are seized everyday across Canada and the States with the most liberal CCW laws are the "targets" for CBSA. There was even a recent case where a municipal court judge was caught concealing his Glock, despite being asked 3 times if any weapons to declare. If you are truthful and declare it, you will simply have to return it to the USA for storage, then you can re-enter. Provided it is not a "restricted" firearm you only need to fill out a form and pay $25, then you are good to go. It's alot easier for an American to bring in a firearms than it is for a Cdn to import one to the USA, go figure.

As far as searching electronic devices, same as the USA. You are not yet admitted to Canada, therefore the Charter protections do not apply and Customs can search anything they want anytime they want and don't need "probable cause" or "reasonable grounds" as it is called in Canada.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Does CN law allow reviewing of cell phone content without a warrant?
I knew when I read the first post that Texas jokes would be made. I resisted. Who said their cell phones were examined? If you're worried, wipe it clean so no one finds your photos.

The customs folks are under enormous pressure to stop crime but not step on toes. Random searches are, for the most part, random. If you decide it's because of who you are, where you come from, or what you look like, DON'T TRY TO CROSS A BORDER. Simple.

I've been through customs in AU, NZ, many times and I've wondered at some questions and searches, but it's never the same and I can't say I was targeted.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I knew when I read the first post that Texas jokes would be made. I resisted. Who said their cell phones were examined? If you're worried, wipe it clean so no one finds your photos.

The customs folks are under enormous pressure to stop crime but not step on toes. Random searches are, for the most part, random. If you decide it's because of who you are, where you come from, or what you look like, DON'T TRY TO CROSS A BORDER. Simple.

I've been through customs in AU, NZ, many times and I've wondered at some questions and searches, but it's never the same and I can't say I was targeted.
I didn't make any stupid jokes and my question was sincere. In post #10, someone said they went thru their cell phone messages. If they were asked and gave permission then it's okay. While I have nothing to hide, my cell phone should be off limits. Again, does anyone know if CN agents can go into a cell phone without probable cause and without a warrant?
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
I didn't make any stupid jokes and my question was sincere. In post #10, someone said they went thru their cell phone messages. If they were asked and gave permission then it's okay. While I have nothing to hide, my cell phone should be off limits. Again, does anyone know if CN agents can go into a cell phone without probable cause and without a warrant?
First, I didn't call Texas jokes stupid or that you had made one. I missed the post that claimed that their cell phone was searched. Not only is it permitted at Canadian customs, the U.S. also can search your electronic devices.

What happens when a Canadian border agent asks to search your phone? - Technology & Science - CBC News

Bob & Donna
Old 08-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Ralphie,
See my post 1 above your for the answer to your question.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
First, I didn't call Texas jokes stupid or that you had made one. I missed the post that claimed that their cell phone was searched. Not only is it permitted at Canadian customs, the U.S. also can search your electronic devices.

What happens when a Canadian border agent asks to search your phone? - Technology & Science - CBC News

I visit Canada yearly as part of an annual fishing trip. I'm the "kid" of the group at 69 and we always have the same issue entering Canada. We NEVER have firearms but about half the time get pulled out of line and questioned about weapons and the vehicle searched. Our assumption is that anyone engaging in some type of outdoors sports must have a weapon or ten. We have become so accustomed to the "welcome" that we budget an extra hour into our travel plans.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
This is the reason I will never go to Canada. I live on the border at Blaine and when the line getting back into Canada gets a little long, then it is "Ollie,Ollie open free". The law says that Canadians cannot take any more fuel into the country than what is in their vehicle tanks. HA! You should see the carry tanks come out at the local Costco.They usually pull out 4-5 extra portable tanks and fill them before crossing back into Canada. Legal, not at all. Most likely the border guards are doing the same thing on their off days.

I must also say that the last time I crossed into the US, I got the 5th degree because I moved from one lane to another. Guy banged on my windows and yelled at me with a threat that I could not return to the US. A request to talk with the supervisor made short work of that and I was soon back in my country
Old 08-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #24

I won't go across the border anymore . I've seen them literally tear apart cars and then leave everything sitting on the ground and tell the people they were free to go. I just can't imagine them getting into the motorhome and pulling everything out then telling me to put it back in and proceed. Nothing in Canada is that important that it warrants mistreatment like that.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I won't go across the border anymore . I've seen them literally tear apart cars and then leave everything sitting on the ground and tell the people they were free to go. I just can't imagine them getting into the motorhome and pulling everything out then telling me to put it back in and proceed. Nothing in Canada is that important that it warrants mistreatment like that.

The same could be said about the USA......
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyalRV View Post
The same could be said about the USA......
Yes, and does Canada confiscate property and money if they think it's from criminal behavior? Before pointing to one side or the other, remember 3 fingers will be bent back pointing at you.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #27

If you ever watch the show "Border Patrol", you see them going through peoples cell phones all the time. People say they are on holidays, but are planning on staying or working illegally. A quick review of text messages quickly reveals ones intentions. These folks have a tough job. Maybe the last drug dealer they busted was a 70 year old dressed like a tourist. Who knows. If you have nothing to hide, be polite, answer what they ask and nothing else. You will soon be on your way. Going to any foreign country can be an experience. They have a right to protect their citizens from bad elements. Criminals come in all shapes and sizes, and these people see them all. Dont take it personal. Welcome to Canada eh. Once you get here, we area pretty friendly bunch.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #28

From what I see on Tv and from my personal experience crossing multiple times each year the ones that get hassled are usually the ones that deserve to be hassled. We get questioned and we have been subjected to agricultural inspections but we have not had our personal effects or cell phone touched. Generally the border people are quite respectful if you show them respect. They are just doing their jobs trying to keep out countries safe.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, travel