Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

Travel to US from Alberta deemed non essential to retrieve RV from Utah...

We are absolutely stumped as to how to recover our Class A pusher from a storage yard in Utah and bring it back to Alberta. It was stored in March, due to a series of winter storms on I-15, with the intent to recover it later. We tried crossing at Sweetgrass last Sunday, only to be denied entry. The US agent determined our reason to bring it home was deemed non essential. She even suggested to fly to Las Vegas, bus it to Utah and drive it back, which would put us in a multiple public exposure situation as opposed to two people driving in our toad and bringing it back.
Has anyone else had a similar or even a successful situation happen to them.
Thanks, all.
M&L
MisterMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you considered calling the agency responsible for the denial and talking to someone a little higher up? Maybe get a different opinion and get pre approval for entry.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

Maybe you could arrange for an RV transport company to drive it to the border and pick it up there, but I'd try the first suggestion before that. Tough pickle you're in there.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #4

Do you know anyone who could drive it to the border for you?
Old 08-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Both borders have their rules with the border patrol officer having the final decision. If there is an alternative to driving you'll likely be denied. There was a couple from Alaska that purchased a newspaper business in Skagway. They wanted to drive down and visit the business, and were advised by the Canadian border patrol the drive was not essential as they could fly to Skagway.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #6

There are companies that you can hire to have the coach driven to somewhere. Perhaps reaching out to a "drive away" company could work out. I believe that most commerce between the two countries is still allowed.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #7

Fly into the closest airport and drive it home or pay a transport company to drive it for you. You'll pay at least $5K USD to transport so I'd fly in and do it myself.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #8

I'd say fly if you can and drive it back, makes the most sense, but personally I wouldn't fly in today's current climate with such bad exchange of air space, but everyone to their own comfort level in that regards!

I'd be dubious about paying someone to bring it further North to the border because if it gets detained there going into winter and it's not winterised!! Just thinking if there were a problem being retrieving it being a stones throw away, could open up a whole different can of worms for you.

A lady that couldn't get from Vancouver to Seattle via road to see her ailing grandson, was told by the border guard "have you considered flying"? That's what she did and got to see him and she came back easy as well.

The fact we can fly in an enclosed space within too many others proximity, but not drive (keeping for the most part in our own bubble) just leaves me dumbfounded but hey I guess that's why I'm not in government.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #9

Your story is similar to a friend of mine trying to retrieve a boat he purchased in the US just before the border closure.
After months of anxiety over the matter he finally hired a profession captain to sail the boat from the Chesapeake back to Ontario Canada.
That is considered a commercial transaction so the captain is allowed entry into Canada no different than a transport driver making a delivery across the border.
The boat is currently enroute and should arrive next week.
I am sure there are similar type professional drivers / delivery companies that would be able to do your pickup and delivery and with the new extension to the border closure it would give you the peace of mind of having your RV back in your home country again.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #10

I'm in the process of shipping my Class B RV from Prince Albert to Great Falls. Commerical shippers will coordinate the paperwork and can freely cross the border in either direction. It's costing me $2K, but yours will cost a lot more due to the size of the vehicle and distance.

If I could fly into Prince Albert and drive it back to the US I would, but Canada is far more anal and nebulous on my ability to do so. I cannot get a clear answer out of the airlines or the Canadian govt whether they'll let me get off the plane, or if I can, whether I have to quarantine somewhere for 14 days. All I want to do is hop in the RV and drive the 6 hours back to the US. The US is not this way. Easy to fly in, pick up your RV and drive back across the border.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Jlo11111;5398091]
Canada is far more anal and nebulous on my ability to do so. I cannot get a clear answer out of the airlines or the Canadian govt whether they'll let me get off the plane, or if I can, whether I have to quarantine somewhere for 14 days.

As you state, "Canada is far more anal".
Thanks for recognizing this.
It's just one of the many precautions we are taking here nationally to keep the Covid numbers low in Canada.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Jim.B1;5398971]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo11111 View Post
Canada is far more anal and nebulous on my ability to do so. I cannot get a clear answer out of the airlines or the Canadian govt whether they'll let me get off the plane, or if I can, whether I have to quarantine somewhere for 14 days.

As you state, "Canada is far more anal".
Thanks for recognizing this.
It's just one of the many precautions we are taking here nationally to keep the Covid numbers low in Canada.
Wouldn't pat yourself on the back too hard. You have roughly the same population as California and roughly the same body count. Take [Mod Edit] LA out of the picture and you're double that of California.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
We are absolutely stumped as to how to recover our Class A pusher from a storage yard in Utah and bring it back to Alberta. It was stored in March, due to a series of winter storms on I-15, with the intent to recover it later. We tried crossing at Sweetgrass last Sunday, only to be denied entry. The US agent determined our reason to bring it home was deemed non essential. She even suggested to fly to Las Vegas, bus it to Utah and drive it back, which would put us in a multiple public exposure situation as opposed to two people driving in our toad and bringing it back.
Has anyone else had a similar or even a successful situation happen to them.
Thanks, all.
M&L

Try calling CTS (Cliff's Towing) in Edmonton, they moved a lot of equipment for us a few years ago. They tend to think outside the box, esp. when you're not bound to a fixed schedule and might be able to save you a few $$ that way. Another option would be calling Ritchie Bros. in Nisku, they have a long list of truckers and freight companies on file that would be happy to have a backhaul as equipment is leaving Alberta at a record rate and have nothing to haul back.
Hiring a local outfit also gives you a bit more security when handing over the keys.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo11111 View Post
Wouldn't pat yourself on the back too hard. You have roughly the same population as California and roughly the same body count. Take [Mod Edit] LA out of the picture and you're double that of California.

Hey Jlo11111 - you might want to go back and read my post again. At no point did I take a shot at you personally or at your country.
Conversely, in both of your posts you called Canada anal, our government nebulous, and now suggesting I should not pat myself on the back for supporting my country's position on non-essential foreign entry.
I guess you tried to even out your comments by slamming the city of Los Angeles.
By the way, how is all this working out for you?

Tags
travel, utah