Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #1

Traveling to Canada with a bird

Hello all,
I have a question for those who might have a bird as a pet, we have a cockatiel who is now 22 years old. My husband is afraid to travel to canada with him, thinking that we would not be able to bring him back into USA and because of that we are unable to do any RV trips to canada.
i am trying to tell him that it will not be an issue.
Does anyone know what are the rules to take a pet bird to Canada in a RV?
Help
Regards,
Mimi owner,
DebbieSolank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #2

Boarder Customs is the authority. Call and ask. Call both US and Canadian. Check websites.

Boarder is closed now due to pandemic.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #3

Canadian Border Patrol website will answer your question along with U.S. Border Patrol website. Best to get official information. Things always change.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #4

Check with border patrol, I can tell you that US Customs has regulations on what types of dogs food are allowed into the US (and have looked at our bags of dog food to confirm) , and they have physically asked to look at our dogs up to date rabies shots paperwork from our vet in the past. Possibly similar "pet" requirements coming into Canada, but I can't be certain. Again, it's worth a phone call I'd say.
trikebubble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieSolank View Post
Hello all,
I have a question for those who might have a bird as a pet, we have a cockatiel who is now 22 years old. My husband is afraid to travel to canada with him, thinking that we would not be able to bring him back into USA and because of that we are unable to do any RV trips to canada.
i am trying to tell him that it will not be an issue.
Does anyone know what are the rules to take a pet bird to Canada in a RV?
Help
Regards,
Mimi owner,
It used to be that you had to have a form filled out by a vet as to the pets health, plus rabies shots. I travel to Mexico with 2 cats. Mexico could care less. Only once was I asked for the papers on the cats, and as soon as I reached for them the agent said "ok thanks" he knew since I was reaching for them I had them.

The US has now lifted that restriction. All I have to carry is the Rabies papers, and of course they have a tag around their neck anyway.

I'm not sure about birds. I do know that there are some rules about entering the US with exotic animals, but I think they are more geared toward people bring animals back from a foreign country, not pets traveling

I went to the website I use to verify current rules for my cats and here is what it says about birds, of US origin.

"Returning U.S. origin pet birds from these countries must go into 30-day quarantine in an USDA
animal import quarantine facility. Otherwise, the bird is quarantined for 30 days at the ownerís
residence (home quarantine). Pet birds returning from Canada are exempt from quarantine.
U.S. origin pet birds and performing birds returning from countries that are considered affected
with Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (H5N1) also must be quarantined upon arrival for a
minimum of 30 days in a USDA Animal Quarantine Center."

Note the line that pet birds returning from Canada are Exempt. SO it looks like you could go in and out of Canada (when they open the border) but not Mexico like I do with cats.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Boarder Customs is the authority. Call and ask. Call both US and Canadian. Check websites.

Boarder is closed now due to pandemic.
Border Patrol is not the authority on animals. That is the USDA that sets the rules. The Border Patrol/Customs may now the rules and request the USDA to verify what they should do, but my experience is Border Patrol/Customs has little interest in your pets.

To the guy who posted about them checking the dog food, that is about ingredients, just like you can't bring live plants, or chicken and eggs and a few other food products, they are checking what kind of "food products" you are bringing in.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=
Note the line that pet birds returning from Canada are Exempt. SO it looks like you could go in and out of Canada (when they open the border) but not Mexico like I do with cats.[/QUOTE]

Here is the link to the USDA website

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...itedstates.pdf
Old 07-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #8

Here's the link from the Canadian Government explaining what is needed to bring a bird into Canada. Just check a couple boxes what you have & it explains fully:

https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-.../1326600500578
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, bird, canada, travel