Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
Wonder if AI will post a warning about all the "knife" violence occurring in London?

Can't fix stupid.
No. No they won't.

I could go on but I would be off topic and in danger of having a post removed for political content.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #16

Traveling to the USA

Not to be any ism, just saying.
I am from Louisiana, a most dangerous state, and have been to New Orleans, a most dangerous city, a hundred times. Nothing has happened bad. There are certain people that shoot each other more often than others and I am not in that group of people.
Anything can happen anywhere, of course, I realize that. You must be wise.
But I’ve had more stuff stolen from my house and car in my nice neighborhood in Seattle than anywhere else.
I always felt safer in the back of a RV park and not on the highway and that’s exactly where our neighbors had their bikes stolen.
You just never know.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
Truthfully, we are visiting Canada soon and WE are a bit wary. Especially after what a previous poster wrote about their experience.
BTW; how about God Bless ALL of us everywhere. Crime and killings are not limited to just one country. I recall a few terrorist bombings in Europe- so very sad.
I wrote about my experience to illustrate that random bad guys and random danger exist even in the places we traditionally think of as "safe." I then said that I still go there. My point being that if we avoid living life because of the possibility of something bad happening, we don't get much done. I'm near Dayton right now. I feel sad and angry about what just happened there, but I don't feel like my personal safety is at risk any more than I do in Canada.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are about to go full time. We are not worried. How many thousands of WalMarts are there? No way we should hide in safe places while missing out on life. At one time these things were not brought to our attention unless we were nearby. Live! Travel! Eat. Love.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #19
NXR

Agreed, just keep good situational awareness and move on if your gut says to.

Our city is rated as extremely safe yet we had seventeen daytime break-ins a few years ago and just a few streets away. They were caught and it turned out they simply drove here down twenty miles of interstate from a high-crime city. They knew our cops keep a close eye on traffic from neighboring counties so they simply drove as far from the interstate as they could before performing their crimes.

People are fairly poor at judging actual risk and the media blasts things out of proportion for their ratings. Look at the size of the USA or even a city, the square mileage and the population, then look at the incidents. What are the chances you will be in the wrong place at the wrong time if you've done even rudimentary checking? About zero.

Ray
Old 08-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #20

For us, you can't live your life by constantly looking over your shoulder. You've got to have faith in human mankind. In 16 years of full-time travel we've never felt uneasy - even when boondocking close to the border. Yes, bad things do happen but to dwell on it is unhealthy. It'll consume you. We've never owned a gun and never will. Yet.. we feel safe.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #21

I understand the OP's concerns. I feel safe but as the events last week show, a mass shooting can happen anywhere. Kind of hard to tell someone to use commonsense and be aware of their surroundings when you have to wonder about the safety of retail establishments.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
Wonder if AI will post a warning about all the "knife" violence occurring in London?

Can't fix stupid.
Or people being hacked to death or 33 people burned alive in Japan?

Don't want to make it political, but there is only one reason the far, far left AI posted that warning. The part of that AI warning not quoted on the first page of this thread, tells you all you need to know about AI's position.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some facts on Mass Shootings

I live in the USA and I feel very safe. I travel 4 to 5 months out of the summer months and have never felt threatened. Can it possibly happen that I'm in or near a mass shooting? Possibly. Will it probably happen? No, I don't think so.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Some facts on Mass Shootings

I live in the USA and I feel very safe. I travel 4 to 5 months out of the summer months and have never felt threatened. Can it possibly happen that I'm in or near a mass shooting? Possibly. Will it probably happen? No, I don't think so.

We also travel the the States last few years and will do so again.
The Web site you referred uses death per event average rather than number of events.
Tomayto/ tomaaato. It’s all no good, but choices are made by travelers to decide how they want to live their lives.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
We also travel the the States last few years and will do so again.
The Web site you referred uses death per event average rather than number of events.
Tomayto/ tomaaato. It’s all no good, but choices are made by travelers to decide how they want to live their lives.
Yep.

Assuming you avoid inner cities like Chicago, Memphis, etc., you are FAR more likely to die in a traffic accident or from a medical mistake (or the flu or countless other things) than a random shooting.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:40 PM   #26
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Given the recent events in the USA. Dayton Ohio and El Paso Texas.
How safe is traveling and staying in the USA?
We do shop at Walmart however do not go to night clubs.
Planing on a winter trip from western Canada to Southern Arizona or California.
Thanks all who reply.

Coops

Ps sorry my initial post was not responded to so I will start my own thread.
Given the most recent ugly events in Midland Texas today at the Home Depot and at a ups Van and the most recent events in El Paso and Dayton Ohio....how really safe are visitors traveling in the USA from theses tragic and horrific events?

There's an active shooter situation unfolding in Midland, Texas. Two shooters reported, one of them is driving a USPS van.

Thanks for your response..not used to this type of ongoing violence.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
It’s a large country with over 325 million people. As mentioned, stay out of the inner city and be conscious of your environment.

Nick
Old 08-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #28

agree with Nick.

Tags
travel