Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We're planning on the Alaska trip in '19 and will be traveling from N. Georgia. Plans are to leave in Late April so that we cross into Canada in Early May and then spend the next 4-5 months at most traversing the Canadian and Alaskan landscape. As for fuel, a 40 gallon in bed tank to compliment the loathsome 31 gallon stock tank so that fuel stops are less frequent is a nicety, though not required. It's nice not having to worry about running out of diesel and stressing out about the next fuel stop. Safe travels!
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #44

Alaska Trip

We are beginning to plan our trip to AK next summer. We are planning to leave Western North Carolina around July 8th. We plan to take about 10 weeks round trip. There will be five RV'S in the caravan. How much planning is required regarding campgrounds along the route through Canada, and when should we begin making reservations? Or, can we find sites with a few days notice?
Trimble T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
I would suggest reservations in Banff and Jasper, if they are part of your plans. Elsewhere along the Alaskan Highway I think you will be Ok without. If you plan on going North at Whitehorse to Dawson City and the Top of the World Highway I would also recommend reservations in Dawson City. Grab a copy of the Milepost and you can start your planning.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
~I'll 2nd making reservations in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper in Canada as soon as allowed.

~Liard Hot Springs Provincial Park (BC.) 30 of the 56 sites are first come first serve. I would arrive by noon to get a site, maybe earlier to get 5 sites.

~ Yes Dawson City I would call a few days before once you know a date. When we were in that area mid June last year, we called 2 days out and got the last electric site at Dawson City RV Park. Not sure what the other two private campgrounds had left. There are 3 private campgrounds, one downtown and two a mile or so outside.

~ Same thing for the two Chicken Alaska campgrounds if you take the TOW. Just remember they have only satellite phones, so when you call them there is a 5-7 second delay when talking.

~ Denali National Park. For the real Alaskan camping experience, the Teklanika Campground (dry camping). 29 miles inside the park, 56 sites, minimum of 3 nights stay, up to 40' length. What it gets you is a 1-2 hour jump in getting to the 2nd visitor center inside the park at mile marker 60. The key to actually seeing Denali is getting to that 2nd visitor center (Eielson) as early as you can in the morning. Clouds tend to come in by noon. Reserve as early as possible.

~ The month of July (last 3 weeks) is Salmon dip netting season on the Kenai Peninsula. Between the Russian River and Soldotna/ Kenia areas, is the HOT spots for where all the locals go. You will not even find a parking spot. Hope, Homer and Seward areas are not effected....

~ If you "must have electric" in Seward, either reserve ahead at one of the private campgrounds (not on waterfront) or the City of Seward Waterfront Campground has 40 of its 250 sites with electric ($40) All sites here are "first come / serve" we got there by 10am and there was 5-6 electric sites open. (mid July)

~ In Valdez, You have to watch for when the Salmon start to run. Pinks in July, Silvers start to run late August into Labor Day Weekend. Either reserve in one of the private campgrounds in the city of Valdez, or if you want waterfront and to fish, the Allison Point City Campground is your ticket. Fish off the rocks behind your campsite (dry camping). It is located across the bay from the city of Valdez. Basically a "parking spot" with $million views.

Being a 10 week trip, are you heading back Sept mid Sept?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #47

This is our 2nd drive to Alaska and our 5th visit to the state. We have already made reservations for particular camp sites in 2018. We like Mike and Terri Church "Alaskan Camping" plus The Milepost. The first time we drove it, we had reservations everywhere and we constantly moved. This time we had no reservations and moved when we wanted to. You have to be more flexible this way because we could not get reservations at a decent campground in Whitehorse for 3 nights - so we went down to Skagway. Something else you might want to consider is the number of coaches you will be trying to get into a campground at one time and the size of the coaches. We are 43' and several places could not handle our size or they had only 1 spot that had already been reserved. Have fun - Alaska will either suck you up or spit you out and you will never want to tackle that kind of trip again. Some places we were 5 days without any AT&T.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 AM   #48

OMG, 5 days without ATT. A major disaster, especially if you're a teenager. LOL. We're about ready to start down after being in Valdez since April 28. Weather is turning cold with nighttime temps forecast again to be in the 30's. Our freezers are full of Halibut, Shrimp and 3 varieties of Salmon. A 17 cu ft, a 3 cu ft and the bottom of the household fridge. With the exception of our first trip up in 2008, we don't make reservations anywhere, up or down and don't use RV parks. Valdez for 4 months is, of course, an exception. On our first trip, once we went through the Canadian Rockies, where we made reservations in Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper, we got on the Marine Highway at Prince Rupert and we spent 2-3 days at each stop without reservations. I'd also recommend reservations at Denali and perhaps Seward for July 4th. Of course if you're looking for a "FULL SERVICES" CG in Alaska, stay home. Rough tight camping is the standard. It's the area's attractions, not where you stay. Enjoy.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Last August the weekend before Labor Day Weekend, we stayed 3 nights in Valdez at Allison Point City Campground. It would be a big stretch to call it a campground. It is just a parking space to have access to easy fishing. One rather dirty bathroom, and one 500 gallon water tank to get water to wash dishes ("not" to fill RV fresh water tank).

Our small RV trailer freezer was filled with silvers and berries. The mountains directly behind Valdez (3500') were just starting to show a dusting of snow. We left Alaska Sept 3rd. While going down the Cassier route, the top 1/3rd of the small mountains started showing a dusting of snow...
Old 08-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #50

we just returned, not a single reservation ahead of time, too many variables to make plans for an 'exact' day of stay, plus it puts too much pressure on making 'miles' instead of making 'memories'.

no problems, plenty of camping options, pull offs, city rv parks, etc... and remember, most of your journey will be in Canada, not Alaska... but Canada is very good to RVrs.

we did, though, see a few 'caravans' of different sizes and styles... they certainly have reservations at many key points, but they also stay there several days - we never stayed more than one night - and while two months(8 weeks) seems like a lot, we traveled every single day. The roads don't allow you to put 500 miles like on US interstates, sometimes it's only 80, if you're lucky. 13,000 miles round trip from GA.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #51

Alaska Trip

Thanks for the comments.

I am also hearing about excessive wear and tear on the RV, like spider cracks in the fiberglass, new rattles, broken windshields and so on. Any comments?
Trimble T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
We have done it twice in our DP. Not a problem if you take it slow and steady. The Alaskan Highway for the most part is a good paved road like you will see in the lower 48. The one thing they do encounter is frost heaves especially north of Whitehorse. The Yukon road crews do a remarkable job, but you will find sections of the Highway being rebuilt. When you do it will be sections of gravel, sometimes rough. Take it slow and you will be alright.
The other thing to look for is markings on the side of the road. It might be a sign, might be a red cone, might be a small red flag. They mark a yet to be repaired frost heave. Slow down....your motorhome will appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #53

Alpine Owners Club
Have done the trip twice (2010, 2013). No damage other than a * crack in the windshield of the MH. This happened in BC, going through a construction zone and a car coming from the opposite direction tossed a rock.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
OMG, 5 days without ATT. A major disaster, especially if you're a teenager. LOL. We're about ready to start down after being in Valdez since April 28. Weather is turning cold with nighttime temps forecast again to be in the 30's. Our freezers are full of Halibut, Shrimp and 3 varieties of Salmon. A 17 cu ft, a 3 cu ft and the bottom of the household fridge. With the exception of our first trip up in 2008, we don't make reservations anywhere, up or down and don't use RV parks. Valdez for 4 months is, of course, an exception. On our first trip, once we went through the Canadian Rockies, where we made reservations in Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper, we got on the Marine Highway at Prince Rupert and we spent 2-3 days at each stop without reservations. I'd also recommend reservations at Denali and perhaps Seward for July 4th. Of course if you're looking for a "FULL SERVICES" CG in Alaska, stay home. Rough tight camping is the standard. It's the area's attractions, not where you stay. Enjoy.

Our a person in their 70's with health issues who are thankful for every day that they are above ground and trying to make every day left the best.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimble T View Post
Thanks for the comments.

I am also hearing about excessive wear and tear on the RV, like spider cracks in the fiberglass, new rattles, broken windshields and so on. Any comments?

That is part of the Alaska experience. It took us 8 hours to drive 200 + miles from Whitehorse to Tok and we get 4 hits on our windshield. As you can see we travel at turtle speeds but it is the high speed other crazies that pass you up or came at you full speed. It is the luck of the draw. The first time we drove it we did not get one hit on our windshield or any rattles. This time we are starting to hear many rattles that we did not have before. Can't explain it because first time we were in a 34 Hurricane and now we are in a 43' Newmar. We have one scratch for trying to get into a National Park and we could not turn around. Don't let any of this discourage you - just want you to be aware.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
2016~ 14k miles over 110 days damage report:

~ two screws in trucks rear tire causing slow leak near Chicken Alaska. Tire replaced in Fairbanks under a tire warranty. (buy a good 12 volt air compressor)

~ returning home on the Alcan in a construction zone (Destruction Bay). Another pilot car going the other way instead of going the "POSTED" 25mph, was traveling at 55+ mph showering everyone with gravel. Rock broke out my RV trailers side window and one small rock chip in trucks front windshield.

Otherwise after cleaning up and waxing RV, I don't notice any issues on the exterior of my truck or RV trailer. I did have some tar spot half way down my truck. About 30 minutes with some 3M Tar and bug clean took care of that.

I did put some 3M clear shield stuff on my trucks chrome grill and headlight lens. I bought the stuff you cut yourself and put on with water and a squeegee. I took it off when I got home with a hair dryer.

You don't really have too many "chuckholes" to worry about, it's the areas of frost heavies. Most are marked with a orange cone or red flag or signage. A good majority of the frost heavies are in the low laying areas where the road is built up above the surrounding Permafrost.

Tags
alaska, alaska trip