Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:56 PM   #15

Best ERS?? Highly debatable, but I've bought Good Sam ERS for over 10 years and been quite satisfied. With any ERS company, read the fine print before buying, you are signing a contract.
As to the trip itself, this is good advice: https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...ay-canada.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #16

Curious if you know when that piece was written. I didn’t find a date. Thanks for posting-interesting reading.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famnrs View Post
Curious if you know when that piece was written. I didn’t find a date. Thanks for posting-interesting reading.
I clicked on 'About Us' at the bottom & came up with this. It seems to be like wikipedia. The question I have is why it's in 'dangerous roads'? The drive to Alaska is not dangerous.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/about-us.html
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:35 AM   #18

We’ll find out this summer just how dangerous it is! Appreciate your posts, TwoGypsies-always interesting.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I clicked on 'About Us' at the bottom & came up with this. It seems to be like wikipedia. The question I have is why it's in 'dangerous roads'? The drive to Alaska is not dangerous.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/about-us.html

I haven't a clue when it was written or by whom. That article is not listed in the most recent column, so its likely not recent.
I agree the Alcan is not normally dangerous, but can be at certain times of the year.
During our trip I had mechanical trouble and had to stay behind the caravan for a day. While trying to catch up I hit an unmarked freeze heave(misnomer) and nearly wrecked our dually and 40' 5er, which did sustain structural wall damage. (which should be taken as a warning to drive slower on the ALCAN)

Regardless of that website name, the article ie well written IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:48 PM   #20

Communications in an emergency and spare tire

Along the 1400 miles of the ALCAN, you will only have cell service for a mile or three at perhaps 10 towns and micro-towns. We carried a Garmin InReach which works by satellite anywhere and costs $40/month. This also works of course for off-road hiking trips.

As for a spare, we replaced our front Class A tires and used the best as a spare, which we carried in our tow.

There is a great set of postings on Alaska 2022 and 2023.
nnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnason View Post
Along the 1400 miles of the ALCAN, you will only have cell service for a mile or three at perhaps 10 towns and micro-towns. We carried a Garmin InReach which works by satellite anywhere and costs $40/month. This also works of course for off-road hiking trips. As for a spare, we replaced our front Class A tires and used the best as a spare, which we carried in our tow. There is a great set of postings on Alaska 2022 and 2023.

JFYI. Back in 2019 we picked up a Satellite Text Device before traversing the Cassiar Highway (No Cell towers for 500 miles) and when I called my roadside assistance they said they would not send a tow out based on me sending a text from it. Only phone calls would be handled. Contact "your" roadside company and ask before purchasing one of those types of communicators as they are fairly expense if they won't send a tow when you might need it.

This trip we are purchasing an in-motion Starlink device and "hopefully" it will work up there so we can make Cell Calls over WiFi if needed. -Bill

And even more "hopefully" it won't be needed!
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 07:47 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Follow up questions about our trip
We will be in Alaska for about 4 months starting in May. We have been told that the mosquitoes are terrible, My my question is what repellent have you found to work good on you as humans and what repellent would you recommend for our dogs?
Timotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:20 PM   #23

Mosquitoes 'CAN' be bad. Don't stay in heavy forests where there would be no breezes. Don't stay in swamp land. They love shade so sunny campsites are great. Wear light-colored clothing; not dark.

That said.... one of the years that we went we had absolutely no problems with mosquitoes. It wasn't a rainy spring/summer. It was perfect. We had bought a mosquito netting hat which would have covered our face & neck but didn't even have to use it.

Your dog should be on heartworm meds. Cutters has always been good for us and we're from Michigan - mosquito haven in early summer.

Here are some ideas:

https://www.valisemag.com/mosquito-r...ts-for-alaska/

https://www.alaskatravel.com/advice/mosquitoes/

For dogs: https://www.sleddogcentral.com/tips/...%20on%20rain).

https://www.veterinarians.org/mosqui...lent-for-dogs/

Hopefully, you'll have a relatively skeeter-free trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:25 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 2018 over a 3 month stay in Alaska we only had bad mosquitoes one night at Jacks Creek near Chicken. Otherwise it was about the same or less than most places.

Have a great time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:54 PM   #25

I spent 5 summers and 3 winters in Alaska. Arriving in mid-May, leaving in mid-Sept or late Sept and NEVER had an issue with mosquitoes. The ones I did see were slow and lethargic. Never bothered me much so after my 1st summer there, I just never worried about it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:25 PM   #26

JFYI. While at Escapade this last week I found out that Coach Net no longer will send low boys out to tow our large class A vehicles. I switched to the Escapees Road Side and will cancel my Coach Net that I just renewed. I am supposed to get a prorated refund. And turns out then new one (Escapees) is only $109 a year. $100 less than CN. And they will still send out low boys.

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:32 AM   #27

We traveled the Alcan and Alaska from early August to mid-September 2022. We rarely had bug issues.

That being said we had all our clothes, especially socks and pants treated with permethrin at Insect Shield. https://www.insectshield.com/pages/i...d-your-clothes

This has the added benefit of protecting us from the ticks where we like in Virginia.
nnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:54 AM   #28

I reside in Canada and have been using GoodSam for 12 years.
One problem I had was a no start condition so I called GoodSam requesting a tow.
Where are you? was the question, I advised them I was 35 miles South of Salmon Arm in thee middle of a forest.
What is the address where you are? No address I replied, just in the middle of a forest!
What intersection is closest? Good grief, the closest intersection is 35 miles North of where we are by the side of the road.
I need an address or an intersection so I can tell where the tow truck should go. SUPERVISOR PLEASE!
I finally got the tow but it was like pulling teeth.
Then they wanted to tow me to the nearest RV sales facility which did not have any engine repair abilities. Told them that was not the deal, they had to tow me to an engine repair facility. In the end it all worked out but you have too stand your ground.
Cheers.
Tom680FLP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, alaska, canada, cover