Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #1

Trip to Yukon without Alaska if borders still closed

Hello all, as the title states we are planning a possible trip to Alaska but if the borders don't open up we would cut it short at Whitehorse and head South through BC. We would be coming from Manitoba and going up through Edmonton. Is this reasonable without Alaska or would we be missing the best part of the trip. I guess what I am asking is the scenery to Whitehorse worth it without finishing into Alaska. I was thinking it would be a year of lighter traffic and crowds with US/Canada borders closed. All input would be appreciated. Driving a Winnebago C and towing a VW.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

I haven't heard if the Yukon is far enough along on their vaccination program to open things up for Canadian tourists . Check with the Yukon tourist association.
Last summer any Canadian entering the territory , had to do the 14 day quarantine and Americans heading to Alaska were only allowed 24 hours to transit .
Old 02-24-2021, 07:59 PM   #3

Yes, thanks, I realize there may still be some inter-provincial border issues, but with vaccinations starting, I am hoping for the best at least within Canada. It will be a wait and see for sure, just not sure if it is worth the miles without Alaska included.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:21 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
We like the Yukon enough to go back several times but your take may be different. Take a look at Sue Thomas’ site to help make up your own mind: https://yukonsights.ca/.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:38 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Being Alaskans we would probably be accused of prejudice by saying you would miss a lot of spectacular scenery if you didn't continue on to Alaska. while the Yukon certainly have some good scenery, it is primarily hills, valleys, and millions of trees.

In all honesty, some of Alaska could be described the same way, but the spectacular parts more than make up for it.

As mentioned before, I think the 24 hour restriction for driving through the Yukon Territory is still in effect, but hopefully by summer both the U.S. and Canada will be far enough along in their vaccination programs to relax the restrictions.

One aspect I'm ashamed to report is that the worst road conditions in the Far North are in Alaska. Unless the road is brand spanking new, it will be frost heaved in just a couple years, and some of those heaves are much more than an annoyance. Large rigs will have to slow down to 25 - 30 mph to prevent losing your teeth or the contents of your cabinets.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWillakers View Post
We like the Yukon enough to go back several times but your take may be different. Take a look at Sue Thomas’ site to help make up your own mind: https://yukonsights.ca/.
Thanks, I will check out the link you sent. I would truly like to see Alaska, and will if able to cross the border, but will possibly make the trip anyway, more research is needed before a final decision. I have a bit of time before making any decisions. Hopefully more persons will chime in with their views and help with the choice.
Brian
Old 02-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #7

Yes go to Yukon. Go up to Dawson City. There is much history along the route from Whitehorse to Dawson and plenty of beauty. You will have a great time in Dawson. Return home along the Cassiar Highway. It is a beautiful ride with no traffic It is my favorite road and my record count for bears is 15 in one trip with second place count at 14.
The other option is the Yellowknife loop where you pass by Fort Liard and Hay River. There is about 200 miles of good gravel on the Fort Liard side. If you want to experience remote Canada this is a good option. You will be amazed when you get your first look at Yellowknife.
Check the Covid rules for both territories first.
Go have a great trip.
bakedalaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedalaskan View Post
Yes go to Yukon. Go up to Dawson City. There is much history along the route from Whitehorse to Dawson and plenty of beauty. You will have a great time in Dawson. Return home along the Cassiar Highway. It is a beautiful ride with no traffic It is my favorite road and my record count for bears is 15 in one trip with second place count at 14.
The other option is the Yellowknife loop where you pass by Fort Liard and Hay River. There is about 200 miles of good gravel on the Fort Liard side. If you want to experience remote Canada this is a good option. You will be amazed when you get your first look at Yellowknife.
Check the Covid rules for both territories first.
Go have a great trip.
Dawson is definitely in my sights, but Yellowknife would be another trip as I plan to return south through to Vancouver before returning to Manitoba
Old 03-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #9

Per this link https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nada-checklist
U.S.A. citizens cannot enter Canada to visit or sightsee at this time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #10

Yup, get that, but I am in Canada already, question is if the border will be open by the time I get to the Yukon. Appreciate the reply.
Brian
Old 03-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwip View Post
Yup, get that, but I am in Canada already, question is if the border will be open by the time I get to the Yukon. Appreciate the reply.
Brian
No-one knows the future, but this link sounds like it is already open. This is the most recent information: https://covid19.alaska.gov/health-advisories/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
No-one knows the future, but this link sounds like it is already open. This is the most recent information: https://covid19.alaska.gov/health-advisories/
One may be able to enter by road, not quite clear, but the testing and isolation requirements rule it out for me as it is a short term visit for vacation purposes.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #13

The requirements for leisure travel are many:

https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #14

We went to Canada through British Columbia north of Glacier National Park through the Yukon Territory into Alaska. It was the best road trip we ever made. I would suggest finding out what each Canadian Province requires coming into Canada and out of Canada into Alaska and back into the US. A book I would recommend for your trip is the Milepost. You can find issues a year or two old on the Internet and avoid paying the price of a new book. It is so valuable in knowing areas of interest and the history notes. We followed it every step of the way. Milepost gives you information on each milepost along your route. Hopefully you get to make this beautiful and interesting trip!
leenda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska