Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #43

Our first trp to Alaska May of 2015'

The DW and I are planning to leave LA Bama around May 15th and entering Canada around the end of May. We are extremely excited to be going on this journey. Last year we made our first long trip out west to several of the national parks. We will be traveling up through Mississippi, Iowa, and Minnesota crossing the border in North Dakota or Montana.
papermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #44

One thing I would advise for anyone taking the long trip to Alaska.... save any lower 48 touring for your return trip or for another trip. If you try to do too much siteseeing before you even reach Canada, there's a good chance you'll cut back on the Canada, Yukon and Alaska minor things and they are all worth doing. It's an awesome trip once you cross the Canadian border.

Don't wear yourself out beforehand. This may be your only chance to see things in the north country. You can always do shorter trips to the lower U.S. sites. Have a great trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Smile Launch minus 4 days

The time is almost here – we pull out on our northern journey in just 4 days (May 4th), returning home in late September or early October. Other than the first couple of days, and being in Alberta the last month (Sept.), we’ll be making our plans only a few days ahead and even those are subject to change.

We hope to cover all the major places along or near the route plotted above but if our wandering does not allow us to take it all in we may have to plan another trip north for the summer of 2017.

If you too are heading for Alaska this summer and you spot our rig (British Columbia license plates), stop on by and say “hello.”

Ron & Linda
Old 04-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #46

Have a great trip, Ron. From your above map you've got it all covered!
Old 04-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
We looked, checked, planned. In the end, we took our motorhome to Seattle, parked it-and cruised up to Alaska, for $995 per (balcony). When the cruise ended, we carried on with our MH travel: Gulf Islands, Victoria, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, both Glacier National Parks. 59 total days- Point being- it doesn't really matter how you do it!
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #48

We will be heading 'back to our home in Alaska' the later part of May. We will be traveling up through Banff, Jasper, Dawson Creek and north from there.
Everyone have safe travels and have fun!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #49

We plan to cross into Canada tomorrow from North Dakota. Heading to Denali State Park for the summer. This has been on DW bucket list for awhile so as I say, it's her world, I am just walking through it.
Parkman Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkman Jim View Post
We plan to cross into Canada tomorrow from North Dakota. Heading to Denali State Park for the summer. This has been on DW bucket list for awhile so as I say, it's her world, I am just walking through it.
You're going to spend the whole summer in the state park? Are you volunteering there?

Don't forget to check out Denali NATIONAL Park, too!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #51

Off to Alaska

Our family is heading to Alaska from Northern California starting in early June. We will be on a two month trip. We have started a blog. Gulliver's Alaska/Canada Adventure

Hope, you can take a look and leave a comment.

Gordon
ippongachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
We left Vancouver two days ago on our slow journey north. The first leg of our route is a little different than most as we're taking Hwy-99 north through Whistler and Lillooet to join onto Hwy-97 north of Cache Creek. I rode Hwy-99 (Duffy Lake Road) many times on my motorcycle but this was the first time in our 43 ft MH, pulling a toad. The road is narrow and very twisted, highlighted by a number of 13% grades near Lillooet. Though not a great road for flatlanders, it is fine for those familiar with driving older mountain highways and the scenery is spectacular. Going slow, we've only made it as far as Williams Lake so far.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #53

Twogypsies, Yes we are volunteering there for the summer and Denali National is a must see. Crossed at Portal gas $2.49, and In Davidson SK it was $1.009/Liter Canadian
Parkman Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
As soon as the house sells, I'm leaving Alaska in 2015. HAHA
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
We're now in a Telkwa, BC, small community on the Yellowhead Hwy (Hwy-16) about 220 mi (355 km) west of Prince George. We've stopped here for a couple of days to allow time for laundry, washing the MH and toad, etc.

We stopped at Fort Telkwa Riverfront Accommodations & RV Campground, a delightfully locations I would highly recommend to others heading up or down the Cassiar Hwy (Hwy-37) route to Alaska.

Click here to view video clip of campground.

Our site is located at the very top of the string of coaches shown in the first photo (from their website).

Though they have a couple of pull-thru sites, most are back-in but with ample room for maneuvering into its level gravel pads. We are in a 50 amp site so the DW can wash/dry at the same time and the recently upgraded services are easy to connect to. The friendly campsite owner is proud of his newly upgraded wi-fi system that has proven to be one of the best I have encountered for some time. For the TV watchers, they have cable connections with 60 channels to choose from. Our daily rate is $31 CDN or about $25.75 US.

Earlier I mentioned "washing the MH and car." This RV parks advertises a free pressure wash for cleaning your coach. The park map indicated it was acroos the way from our site but all that was there was a water hose. I asked the owner about this and he stated he had not yet hooked the pressure washer up yet but would do so if I wanted to use it. I have my own pressure washer along so I asked if it was okay if I just used that on our parking pad and he said, "Sure, no problem." Great, now I don't even have to move the coach to give it a good washdown.

Though the campground is located right beside the highway and across the river from the railway tracks, I heard neither of these once bedded down for the night.

A day or (maybe two) here and we'll be ready to drive the remaining 78 miles to the southern end of the Cassiar Hwy and our start of some serious wildlife watching.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Ron H,

We stayed there for one or two nights back in 2010 on our very first trip to Alaska. We were the only ones in the park and took a pull-through site along the fence due to our length. We also stayed there on our 2012 trip to Alaska.

Today we arrived at Southpark RV Park in Prince George BC for two nights to catch up on chores. Photo below.

Since we have taken the Cassier Highway up the last two trips we plan to take the ALCAN to Alaska this trip and the Cassier back in the fall even though the ALCAN is 150 additional miles.

Your black bear sightings will be the best ever while riding the Cassier this time of year. Our last trip in 2012 we saw 45 bears over the 450 miles up to the junction where you meet up with the ALCAN.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1343.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	93774  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving