Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #1

A cold, the flu or Covid19

Three days ago I developed symptoms of a cold, flu or Covid while traveling. I had to cancel my next reservation and will limit my contact with other people. I plan on making one big food shopping trip when few others are shopping and then go into hibernation.

I知 living solo full time out of my RV.

Please limit your comments to guidance.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 11:11 PM   #2

First thing to do is to get tested for Covid. Google for places near you where you can get tested. Sounds like you're already in a RV park so just stay hunkered down.
twogypsies is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2021, 11:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you are taking good measures to limit contact with others. I would also get a Covid test to rule that out. In the meantime, many grocery stores have pickup or delivery services. Wishing you the best for a speedy recovery.
macnut is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2021, 11:18 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Curious as to the symptoms and what makes you think you have COVID-19 (not discounting the possibility).
Old 12-04-2021, 11:24 PM   #5

I've had Covid twice. (Yes, I know that's not supposed to happen. But the tests were positive both times.) That's your worst case scenario, so plan for that (and maybe just be pleasantly surprised.)

It wasn't that horrible at all either time - like a bad flu. I'm 64, a little overweight, I smoke, so I ought to be a candidate for "co-morbidities fun". But it definitely didn't live up to its billing as a killer. It was . . . unpleasant. Yucky. Boring.

Drink fluids until you're overflowing. Get some good decongestant. Plan on resting a lot. (I slept about 20 hours per day for three days - it made me that tired.) Vitamin C, B, D. If you're somewhere warm, go lay in the sun.

I also got vertigo out of it the second time - doc said that's very common. So avoid driving. It would suddenly hit me out of the blue, and go away three minutes later, but I'm glad I wasn't at the wheel when it did appear.

If you're in an area where the docs will allow you to take the known treatments, ask for them. I hear very good things about them if you take them early.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsRV View Post
Curious as to the symptoms and what makes you think you have COVID-19 (not discounting the possibility).
Sore throat the first day and runny nose the second. I had a fever which broke today. I知 a 72 year old male in good health. I exercise daily and am not overweight.

I知 not sure what I have because the symptoms overlap. My blood oxygen levels appear to be normal. My biggest concern is not to infect others with whatever it is.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I've had Covid twice. (Yes, I know that's not supposed to happen. But the tests were positive both times.) That's your worst case scenario, so plan for that (and maybe just be pleasantly surprised.)

It wasn't that bad at all either time - like a bad flu. I'm 64, a little overweight, I smoke, so I ought to be a candidate for "co-morbidities fun". But it definitely didn't live up to its billing as a killer. It was . . . unpleasant. Yucky. Boring.

Drink fluids until you're overflowing. Get some good decongestant. Plan on resting a lot. (I slept about 20 hours per day for three days - it made me that tired.) Vitamin C, B, D. If you're somewhere warm, go lay in the sun.

I also got vertigo out of it the second time - doc said that's very common. So avoid driving. It would suddenly hit me out of the blue, and go away three minutes later, but I'm glad I wasn't at the wheel when it did appear.

If you're in an area where the docs will allow you to take the known treatments, ask for them. I hear very good things about them if you take them early.
Your comment on vertigo was very helpful. Thanks
Old 12-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
Sore throat the first day and runny nose the second. I had a fever which broke today. I知 a 72 year old male in good health. I exercise daily and am not overweight.

I知 not sure what I have because the symptoms overlap. My blood oxygen levels appear to be normal. My biggest concern is not to infect others with whatever it is.

All your possibilities are infectious. If nothing else, mask up around others.

No loss of smell/taste? Always thought COVID-19 didn't have runny nose/mucous symptoms.

Old 12-05-2021, 12:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsRV View Post
All your possibilities are infectious. If nothing else, mask up around others.

No loss of smell/taste? Always thought COVID-19 didn't have runny nose/mucous symptoms.

I can still smell the coffee. Mucous isn稚 generally associated with Covid but it can be. 24 hours ago I felt terrible. Right now on day three I知 feeling much better.

Earlier in the day I was hot like I had a fever but I didn稚 turn on the a/c and it got up to 85. I知 keeping it at 72 right now with the furnace.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #10

OP, looks like you're heading into your 4th day with whatever you have. I'm not a doctor and I certainly don't know a whole bunch but my thinking is that it'd be a little late now to take the test.

I got the J&J vaccine back in early August. Ended up feeling bad about 3 weeks ago (slight fever, cough, felt lethargic). First thought was Covid but I knew it could be something else as well. Did have intermittent stopped up nose but I never had breathing problems or lost my taste of food. My decision was to go into isolation mode and monitor. Fever was gone the following day and I was back to my normal older age aches and pains the next.

Could have been Covid, I didn't check. No matter, I'll continue using the social distancing precautions that I've used since this stuff first reared its ugly head.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Walmart and lots of drugstores have self-test kits. Each kit has two tests, it's a swab and it gives your results in about 15 minutes.

$14 at Walmart and about $24 at other places.

https://www.globalpointofcare.abbott...f-test-us.html
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply
Old 12-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #12

I guess this is going to be the new normal. Pre covid, when someone got sick we didn't think too much about the transmissibility of whatever was ailing us. We just matched our symptoms to the packaging of over the counter remedies and went on with life. Now we all wonder about spreading this new virus and take precautions to limit the spread. That is probably a good thing, even if you don't have covid, you are limiting exposing others to whatever ails you and that can't be bad. Hope you feel better soon.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #13

This morning I feel great with just a runny nose. I’m now at a Love’s. I’m testing how long I can run on just batteries and how much propane I consume. The KOA I was at was not near any services that I might need. At least here I can get an overpriced gallon of milk.

Before I was not wearing a mast because few others were. Now I am until all my symptoms are gone.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #14

Please stop, it's winter.
Don't think yourselves to death.
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply
Closed Thread