Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #15

We were planning to head up from Idaho near the end of June. Will wait and see but unlikely we’ll take it on this year.

Having done the trip a couple of times in recent years well aware of the lay of the land. But knowing Canadian Customs, some of whom seem to have a thing for Americans, is a concern.

Do consider the Ferry. You can take it from WA and avoid Canadian customs. Expensive but nice.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmsfx View Post
Those still considering an RV trip to Alaska might want to keep up with the Yukon Covid19 requirements, which currently include a 24-hour limit for nonresidents to transit across the Yukon. That's a tough drive to do in 24 hours.
Doubt they would bother to check drivers in and out. And what are they going to do if you exceed the 24 hours?

Have they closed Provincial parks?
Old 04-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #17

All BC parks and protected areas are closed until further notice. Private campgrounds ( around here anyway) appear to be open. News of smaller communities that were destination spots are urging visitors not to stop there at this time. Who knows what the future holds.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Doubt they would bother to check drivers in and out. And what are they going to do if you exceed the 24 hours?

If they are going to have a quarantine having people at the borders to enforce it seems like a no-brainer. You keep track of who says they are going to Alaska on one end and record when people leave on the other. If someone enters and hasn't left in 24 hours the app sets off an alarm.

In Minnesota violating the governors order is a crime with potential jail time. So you might end up in jail. Or they might simply kick you out to Alaska and tell you to never come back to Canada. I suppose you can take an RV on the ferry, but I think its pretty pricey...
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
I I suppose you can take an RV on the ferry, but I think its pretty pricey...
... and the ferry system may not be running due to coronavirus when you want to go.

https://dot.alaska.gov/amhs/service_notices.shtml
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #20

Looking like the roads are going to be pretty bare up here this year.
A lot of the seasonal businesses aka tourist spots and fisheries that use outside seasonal workers may not get to open this year.
Only time and the Govt will tell.
295Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #21

This morning ; Sat April 16;, Prime Minister announced that the non essential travel restrictions BOTH ways across the Canada /US border , have been extended for 30 days , in an agreement with the US government .

Yesterday , there was word that the Canada Day ( July first ) celebrations , will be virtual , as the restrictions on large gatherings will be in place well past that date.
All indications from all levels of Canadian government , is that a return to a December 2019 , normal , will probably never happen ; we'll have to adapt to a new normal , with the addition of physical distancing measures .
The lifting of any of the current restrictions , is still a moving target , with no time line in place.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #22

Cities in Alaska has already cancelled events happening in June and August. They don't have too many cases and they don't want people bringing Covid 19 with them. Same for Canada and border is closed to leisure travel for a foreseeable future probably all Summer.
doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
FYI- Canada has closed their ports to at least July 1st. And I think Alaska is not exactly welcoming people right now.
Knowing this about Canada, they may not be opening the borders for a while, possibly coinciding when they open their ports again.
They can reopen with a stroke of the same pen that closed them.

The Alaska Ferry can skip Vancouver and Prince Rupert.

Most people don’t go to Alaska to visit cities.

I expect the border to open sooner rather than later. Those protests haven’t started yet ( at least according to US media).
Old 04-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
They can reopen with a stroke of the same pen that closed them.

The Alaska Ferry can skip Vancouver and Prince Rupert.

I expect the border to open sooner rather than later. Those protests haven’t started yet ( at least according to US media).
I don't think Canada will open the US border anytime soon and maybe later than sooner. Also there'll be no protests in Canada for many reasons and I'll leave it at that.
doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Which means they are in places being visited by lots of other people who might bring the virus with them. If you are the one carrying the virus, you will infect an entire community where there are even fewer health care facilities to treat people when they catch it from you.

For most of us in the United States, outside of New York, the "epidemic" is a media show. We don't personally know people who have a confirmed case of the disease That is almost certainly going to change if you look at New York or what has happened elsewhere in the world. There are plenty of small hot spots around the country where the virus has spread, but they are small communities with few people and never hit the media headlines. And places around the world that thought they had it under control, like Singapore, are suddenly having major outbreaks.

Frankly the danger of locking the country down to prevent an epidemic is that it doesn't work. It just delays the epidemic and when you actually need people to isolate you can't sustain it. Its fine to talk abstractly about "lowering the curve" but we may be widening it beyond what is sustainable if everyone who doesn't get the virus now gets it later.

I need a haircut now and since the virus is not spreading in my community it would be safe for me to get one. I will need it worse in two months, but by then its not unlikely the virus will have spread to my community and it will be dangerous for me to get one. OK, so I can survive without a haircut. But all those businesses that are closed and people who are out of work can't survive in that way forever.

For those of us anxious to get back on the road we might want to consider Churchill's quote during world war II: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." My guess is we are not even there yet. The real question is "Alaska next summer?" The answer is "very doubtful". It will take a "miracle", in the words of one expert, for a vaccine to even be available a year from now, much less enough people immunized to resume normal travel.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #26

Alaska this summer?

Great post Ross.
crookedarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #27

The Canada/US border closing has now been extended for another month - towards end of May.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska