Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #1

Question Americans driving in Canada

We have been in Canada since April.
Our US based business needs our in person attention
We are planning to travel from Quebec across Ontario and Manitoba into North Dakota
I see in the news that Canadians are harassing American license plated vehicles lately.
Tailgating, keying vehicles, pushing and yelling at drivers
Has anyone had experienced this? And where?
Thanks..
R90rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #2

Are you a US or Canadian Citizen? Is the vehicle you plan to drive licensed in the US or Canada? Is the vehicle an RV? Recreational travel in Canada by US citizens is strictly forbidden. A US tagged vehicle traveling East to West across Canada is going to look like recreational travel to the authorities. An RV with US tags taking that route would raise that suspicion to a red alert level. If it was me, and I had a US tagged vehicle, I would cross into the US as soon as possible.
In any case, you need to have good documentation that your travel is 'Essential". Border crossings are currently highly scrutinized, so you are going to have a lot of difficulty entering whichever country you are not a citizen of.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #3

We've had several BC news reports of OUT OF Province vehicles being damaged here in BC, USA plates being reported to the RCMP, the drivers being suspected of using the Alaska loophole to enter Canada , and several accounts of lug nuts being loosened ( but that seems to have been in one interior town so that could be just one { self edit } ) .
One couple , that moved from California to BC in March; and hasn't been able to get their vehicle re-registered ; had so many issues they had a magnetic sign made for their car stating they have done their isolation and are now BC residents waiting to register the vehicle.
Issues that you've asked about , have not been covered by our national news; so you'll have to wait for reports from members in the provinces you'll be traveling through.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

I'm American, my wife is Canadian, our 38 foot RV is American
Came up here from Mexico to take care of family in April. TX-OK-KS-NE-SD-ND-MB-ON-QC

But things are different now
Thanks..
This is my first post, so I'm learning as I go. Just about like this trip
Old 08-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R90rider View Post
I'm American, my wife is Canadian, our 38 foot RV is American
Came up here from Mexico to take care of family in April. TX-OK-KS-NE-SD-ND-MB-ON-QC

But things are different now
Thanks..
This is my first post, so I'm learning as I go. Just about like this trip
Think about this: call the US Consulate or Embassy nearest your location in Canada and talk to them, explain you've been in Canada for humanitarian reasons and need to return to the USA and ask how that can be accomplished. While you're doing that have your spouse call the appropriate Canadian authorities with the same question.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Traveling from Canada to the US for business purposes is permitted. This link From the US consulate has the Info you need.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/

The only reason you would be denied entry is if you were traveling for simply tourism. Canadians take note - if you are traveling to Mexico for medical or dental treatments you may cross the US/Canadian border. I know lots of you go to Los Algondones every winter. The Health of the Yuma, Arizona economy depends on that revenue y’all bring.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:27 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Traveling from Canada to the US for business purposes is permitted. This link From the US consulate has the Info you need.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/

The only reason you would be denied entry is if you were traveling for simply tourism. Canadians take note - if you are traveling to Mexico for medical or dental treatments you may cross the US/Canadian border. I know lots of you go to Los Algondones every winter. The Health of the Yuma, Arizona economy depends on that revenue y’all bring.
The final decision is up to the border patrol officers.

https://www.ktva.com/story/42487377/...anadian-border
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Consider the 2 sources linked above - a TV station vs a government website. Which do you consider the most credible?

It seems that the news media has been on a quest lately to find that lone exception or odd occurrence. I quit watching and listening. Life is better without the daily fear mongering they serve up under the guise of news. I sure miss the days of Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley and David Brinkley. If they said it you could believe it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #9

Funny that driving across the border is restricted, but you can fly.
fleetwood ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Consider the 2 sources linked above - a TV station vs a government website. Which do you consider the most credible?

It seems that the news media has been on a quest lately to find that lone exception or odd occurrence. I quit watching and listening. Life is better without the daily fear mongering they serve up under the guise of news. I sure miss the days of Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley and David Brinkley. If they said it you could believe it.
Here is another example from a member of the irv2 group

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f295/tra...ah-502114.html
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nothing in today’s s world seems to make much sense.

The original poster on this thread is traveling for business purposes whereas that link was about retrieving an RV.

From official link I posted above -

Who is considered an “essential” traveler?

*Citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States.
*Individuals traveling for medical purposes (e.g., to receive medical treatment in the United States).
*Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions.
*Individuals traveling to work in the United States (e.g., individuals working in the agriculture industry who must travel between the United States and Canada or Mexico in furtherance of such work).
*Individuals traveling for emergency response and public health purposes (e.g., government officials or emergency responders entering the United States to support federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial government efforts to respond to COVID-19 or other emergencies).
*Individuals engaged in lawful cross-border trade (e.g., truck drivers supporting the movement of cargo between the United States and Canada and Mexico).
*Individuals engaged in official government travel or diplomatic travel.
*Individuals engaged in military-related travel or operations.

If you can cross the border to pick lettuce (which happens daily during harvest season) the original poster can travel to his US business.

I doubt there will be a problem at the border, but having a copy of that document would probably be a good idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-31-2020, 02:03 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R90rider View Post
We have been in Canada since April.
Our US based business needs our in person attention
We are planning to travel from Quebec across Ontario and Manitoba into North Dakota
I see in the news that Canadians are harassing American license plated vehicles lately.
Tailgating, keying vehicles, pushing and yelling at drivers
Has anyone had experienced this? And where?
Thanks..
I live in BC and there have been a few incidents here. Most folks have been told to try and stick close to home this year and that everyone from other places should be here only under very specific circumstances. The number of incidents has been small but a few well publicized cases of visitors breaking the rules has caused some hyper vigilance. Now that the tourist season is coming to a close for the most part, I expect that some of that will diminish but it does speak a little to the perils of not getting the i's dotted, T's crossed when your are changing jurisdictions. There are lots of occasions where things need to be "officially" changed but people just haven't gotten round to it. Driving with out of jurisdiction Driver's Licenses, cars not registered locally, still driving with "foreign" plates etc. People who do that open themselves up to that extra scrutiny by virtue of procrastinating.

My advice to people wanting to avoid trouble is that if you have official stuff to do, get it done. If you are legitimate, put a note on the dash indicating that. Some people gonna hate no matter what you do but by acknowledging your awareness of the situation. You will put a lot of people's minds to rest that you are taking the appropriate steps and not "cheating". And if you are travelling from Point A to B for some official purpose, treat it as a "get there", do what you need to do and "get out" proposition. Driving across half of Canada in an RV with US plates is going to invite some attention.

Also to the OP. Are you both dual citizens? You might well find that you can cross into the US and your wife can't and vice versa. There was one fairly well publicized case not long ago about a common law couple that were split at the border because at the time, they couldn't conclusively prove they were a couple. Different citizenship, DL's, different names etc. If your goal is to go and come back, you need to be very careful about any border crossing. Just because you made it across once is no guaranty you will be able to do it again.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #13

Thanks guys..
We had a fairly uneventful drive thru Canada, and surprisingly enough an uneventful drive across ND, SD, WY, & CO
One campground and boondocked the rest
Thank you to the Calgary crane operator that stopped on the TC to help me get the towed car wheel off in the rain.. Still say it is one sweet looking ’67 SS on your trailer

Safe travels to you all
Old 09-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
R90, I’m just curious, what was it like when you crossed the border? I have Canadian friends who don’t think they’ll be able to come south this winter. I keep telling them it shouldn’t be that hard, but they disagree. Did you have to show proof of anything to the US or CA border agents?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
ada, canada