Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:43 AM   #29

My mother was bedridden in a nursing home for the past 4 years. After a heart attack that would have probably killed her without modern medicine, every day after was a bonus. Recently she was moved to a private room when 2 others in her area tested positive. They had many policies in place and hadn't had a single case yet. She was quarantined for a few weeks and with no more cases, the all clear was given and she returned to her room.

Shortly after that, I get a call from my brother that she is in the ICU with COVID. Her heart failed 3 days later. We buried her this past weekend after 82 years of life. So after just under a year without any cases, now 30% of all the residents and staff have COVID a few days after receiving their 1st vaccine shot. Theory is that the nurse giving the shots had COVID and gave it everyone in one day. We'll never know for sure.
Dr Obbins is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Obbins View Post
My mother was bedridden in a nursing home for the past 4 years. After a heart attack that would have probably killed her without modern medicine, every day after was a bonus. Recently she was moved to a private room when 2 others in her area tested positive. They had many policies in place and hadn't had a single case yet. She was quarantined for a few weeks and with no more cases, the all clear was given and she returned to her room.

Shortly after that, I get a call from my brother that she is in the ICU with COVID. Her heart failed 3 days later. We buried her this past weekend after 82 years of life. So after just under a year without any cases, now 30% of all the residents and staff have COVID a few days after receiving their 1st vaccine shot. Theory is that the nurse giving the shots had COVID and gave it everyone in one day. We'll never know for sure.

My condolences on your mothers passing. May her memory be constant blessing to you.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #31

Quote:

Terribly sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, the same thing happened just a few blocks from home. A senior citizen's facility was getting vaccine administered and contact tracing proved the nurse giving the shots had covid-19 but was asymptomatic.

I really fail to understand the poor planning on this and why she was not one of the first inocculated for the disease. 200+ are now in preventive quarantine. No idea how many got/are infected or suffering. It's not the first fail nor will it be the last.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2021, 07:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Terribly sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, the same thing happened just a few blocks from home. A senior citizen's facility was getting vaccine administered and contact tracing proved the nurse giving the shots had covid-19 but was asymptomatic.

I really fail to understand the poor planning on this and why she was not one of the first inocculated for the disease. 200+ are now in preventive quarantine. No idea how many got/are infected or suffering. It's not the first fail nor will it be the last.
My understanding is that the vaccine does not stop someone from getting covid, but prepares the body so it is only a mild case. The nurses could have been vaccinated and still been a carrier. Or it is a beginning of a conspiracy theory. (Que the Twilight Zone music)
Old 02-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #33

I had it. Very mild. Headache and tickle in my throat for two or three days. Lost my sense of smell for a few months, but I can't say I really missed it.
Danny969 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #34

Quote:
My understanding is that the vaccine does not stop someone from getting covid, but prepares the body so it is only a mild case. The nurses could have been vaccinated and still been a carrier. Or it is a beginning of a conspiracy theory. (Que the Twilight Zone music)
I won't pretend to be an expert on this disease, but I think your explanation is somewhat correct. I have heard some experts imply that vaccinated people would less easily spread the disease should they be in contact with someone who has it.

After research, it appears the nurse performed 150 +/- vaccinations on February 2nd. She HID the fact she was experiencing symptoms. It appears some residents started having symptoms OR the nurse eventually declared herself infected, that is when they started quarantining the residents to their rooms. It is unclear of an outbreak has occurred or not, but I haven't heard anything even searching today.

It would make utter sense if people performing vaccinations are themselves vaccinated. Also, rapid testing IS available and there are loads of tests in a warehouse somewhere apparently. Shouldn't that personnel be using a rapid test before each round of vaccinations? Where is our common sense?

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old 02-16-2021, 09:02 PM   #35

Quote:
I won't pretend to be an expert on this disease, but I think your explanation is somewhat correct. I have heard some experts imply that vaccinated people would less easily spread the disease should they be in contact with someone who has it.

After research, it appears the nurse performed 150 +/- vaccinations on February 2nd. She HID the fact she was experiencing symptoms. It appears some residents started having symptoms OR the nurse eventually declared herself infected, that is when they started quarantining the residents to their rooms. It is unclear of an outbreak has occurred or not, but I haven't heard anything even searching today.

It would make utter sense if people performing vaccinations are themselves vaccinated. Also, rapid testing IS available and there are loads of tests in a warehouse somewhere apparently. Shouldn't that personnel be using a rapid test before each round of vaccinations? Where is our common sense?
That would make sense. Where my mother was, about 50 people or 30% of the staff & patients got sick. I think 3 others died. Next question would be: Where they all wearing masks?
Old 02-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #36

AFAIK they were all wearing masks, the covid infected nurse as well.

Masks have been mandated here for many months now,we are getting pretty used to them. It may be what saves most of them.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old 02-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Also, rapid testing IS available and there are loads of tests in a warehouse somewhere apparently. Shouldn't that personnel be using a rapid test before each round of vaccinations? Where is our common sense?
Yes, and rapid, on site testing has been good and not good. On the good side, a catering cook working on a TV show location shoot tested positive at the "outer perimeter" and was sidelined, retested with a different test, and sent to quarantine. All his coworkers were re-tested and returned to work. The cook had worked on site for the previous 5 days and was without symptoms. No transmission to other workers, cast or crew of the TV show were infected. In this instance testing and strict protocols worked.

https://www.diamandis.com/blog/false-sense-security

The author expresses his regret that creating a 'bubble' with lots of testing and doctors in house would allow for a 'masks optional' event. It didn't end well (see linky) for those who chose no masks and up-close socialization; the AV Club, sitting away from guests and talent, and wearing masks, had zero infections.

I posit that all testing is not created equal, nor is the administration of sample collection and handling. Results can be false-negative for either/both reasons and is part of why the general public will benefit from PPE use for at least a few more months.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #38

I definitely understand rapid testing is far from foolproof. There is at least a 50% chance or greater that a nurse harboring the virus would get it detected, so that's better than them risking infecting dozens or hindreds of vaccine recipients.

As far as I know none of the elderly patients in the senior citizen's home got infected from her. I imagine that mandatory masking up IS working. It really is not difficult people, but I do admit it is uncomfortable and inconvenient at times.

My elderly parents are awaiting Thursday and we are trying to get an appointment for them to get the vaccine. It'll be like when the gates drop at a horse race I'm sure.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old 02-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #39

Quote:
My understanding is that the vaccine does not stop someone from getting covid, but prepares the body so it is only a mild case.
That was my understanding as well. Today I read this and things look more hopeful:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...i-15969105.php

More time will reveal more.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #40

What are we?

Seriously, how can any discussion involving the Cov not end up political? Is there a 5000 lb gorilla somewhere in the room we can’t see! I for one could care less about the political nature of any discussion, we are all big boys and girls here, if your agenda is to fix the political issues of this country through a virus scare then have at it.

As far as our experience with the virus it still hasn’t hit as close to home as the flu virus of 1996. That year we lost 3 family members to the flu, they were all elderly and rife with health issues consistent with the elderly. My wife cared for her grandmother and brought the virus into our household and we all became quite ill. Serious stuff it was without all the hoopla.

So to bring it all current December 29 2019 after weeks of entertaining family and friends (some whom traveled extensively worldwide) my wife came down with a horrible flu like illness, I quickly followed her and on December 31, New Year’s Eve, I suffered from respiratory arrest, could not breath without severe discomfort, made a rare trip to the ER because I felt as if any breath could be my last.

The ER doc was stumped, he basically said I have some variation of a flu bug and that there was nothing he could do but keep me for 24 hrs and treat me with steroids to help my lungs. It was the worst respiratory event I have ever experienced and at 64 years it was frightening. So in retrospect we both most likely had the Cov months before it was considered a major event. All this tells me is that no country was prepared to deal with this event in a timely manner.

So here we are over a year and a half into this virus scare and guess what, vaccines or not the virus is starting to deteriorate naturally, the incidence of infection with serious side effects has diminished greatly only pointing to the theory of natural selection and humans ability to adapt. It may cost us the sick and infirm but that’s the way it’s always been.

It’s time we got back on track sooner than later, sorry for those that lost family, I do happen to know that feeling so let’s move on and get back to normal without the damn POLITICS.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I am holding up in the coach. Tried to get the wife to leave the day I found out my employee was diagnosed but she wouldn't leave. Planning to get tested Tuesday per CDC guidelines. Praying it passes me. Will definitely follow every single guideline. If I am infected, I don't want to pass it on to a single person. Wish I could have gotten through to my wife. She is stubborn and said she want's to be here to take care of me just in case. I can see the both of us laying in bed hoping the two puppies take care of us. LOL
That post was back in January....How are you doing now?
That's your own asphalt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #42

I have had ‘Rona. I felt lousy for 3 days and took 2 weeks to “bounce back”.

A lot depends on your immune system strength level.

At this point, I’m glad it’s in the past and now have some great antibodies.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply