Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2020, 05:57 AM   #1

Anyone travel recently ??

Hi,
I never see anything on here about recent travels. Has anyone been out and about recently ? I need to travel across the country on business, and like to take my rv so I’m not in and out of hotels every night. Just wondering what people are seeing in real life out there ? Can you still park at Walmart's ? I was considering buying Allstays, but wondering if it had any currently info on it ? When I google search the Walmart’s I want to stay at there are no updates since last year ? I’ve spent countless hours online trying to look up info, but would love some real world, real person perspective
Thanks
Michael
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2020, 06:11 AM   #2

Lots of guys on this board are traveling through many states. I've not heard one of them say they were told to turn around and go back home.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #3

yup. heading home. been reporting on our experience. apart from other traffic being mostly trucks everything serms normal.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/mesa...bs-486316.html
Old 05-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #4

I traveled from bedrock to couchville then kitchengton.
Hardly used any fuel!
Old 05-04-2020, 06:33 AM   #5

We stayed in Gettysburg April 7-10.
We were the only one at the CG.
We’re heading out this week to Upstate NY for 4 days.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Michael,

I'm not out yet but I see RVs everyday passing Springfield, IL going North, South, East and West since we have 2 interstates crossing here.

Recommend RV Parky - its free plus I use the Loves app. Whether RV parky says the Walmart allows parking or not I usually call ahead just to make sure, even before this shut down. I usually ask where they would like me to park if possible while on the phone and then check in when I get there. When on the road for O/N I almost always park at WallyWorld.

Thinking of heading out next week for TX and then back. We'll see.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 05-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #7

We are looking at Florida for 3 months next winter and usually dont make reservations. I have a feeling reservations will be needed after all this.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #8

I suppose each State is different but it is now pretty hot in southern Arizona and the boondocking locations in the National Forest in the Tonto National Forest were full of RVs this weekend, and I do mean full.

A drive through some of the forest roads that allow camping showed that pretty much every available space had at least one, and sometimes more, RVs camped on them so yes, people are traveling.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
If you can stay in parking lots, I think you will be fine. Some states have campgrounds open, and some don’t so it depends on where you are heading. Even in states that advertise campgrounds are open, there could be restrictions on a county by county basis or there could be restrictions on length of stay. Just plan out your route and do some calling. Oh, and AllStays does show Walmart and other overnight parking spots. I usually prefer Sam!s Club, Cabela’s, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc. Many will let you stay there, and it is generally quieter.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboatking View Post
Hi,

I never see anything on here about recent travels. Has anyone been out and about recently ? I need to travel across the country on business, and like to take my rv so I’m not in and out of hotels every night. Just wondering what people are seeing in real life out there ? Can you still park at Walmart's ? I was considering buying Allstays, but wondering if it had any currently info on it ? When I google search the Walmart’s I want to stay at there are no updates since last year ? I’ve spent countless hours online trying to look up info, but would love some real world, real person perspective

Thanks

Michael

Hi,
We just traveled from Galveston Tx. Through New Mexico and Arizona to Northern Calif. No problem making reservations at any of the RV parks we called. We use allstays to check for rest areas and fuel stops while on the road.
Have Fun,
Steve
Old 05-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am starting to think I might head out middle of June but still not sure. Remember, there are no foreign tourists this year so what is open could be nice. I won't go without reservations. I guess no state has tried to keep people out yet.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #12

Just traveled from LHC Az to central Il. No problems with campgrounds. Some rest stops are closed so don’t count on them since they don’t warn you till your there. 90% trucks except for around cities. You can fly right through big cities in what would be normal rush hour.
Probably the nicest drive home ever.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The freeways in So Cal are all doing 80, 24/7.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #14

We’ve got 2 weeks planned from CO to CA beginning May 31. I’m on the fence but the wife really wants to get out of here. The KOA we’re booked is still operating, so we’re looking at places on the way there and back. It’s iffy, but I think we’ll be going.

Tags
travel