Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2020, 08:59 PM   #1

Arizona Stay at Home Order

Effective 5:00 p.m. tomorrow, 3/31.

azfamily.com/news/continuing_coverage/coronavirus_coverage/gov-doug-ducey-announces-stay-at-home-order-for-arizonans/article_47003656-720f-11ea-a513-138ee68fc7aa.html
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2020, 02:55 PM   #2

The governor is telling people to stay home and only go out if they are going to work, need to buy supplies or are walking around their local neighborhoods for exercise. On the other hand the State Parks are to remain open and camping reservations that were made earlier are to remain valid and that combination makes little sense to me.

Personally I think that there is little danger from camping out in the Arizona State Parks as long as you keep your distance from others, and we have reservations for camping for next week. What makes no sense to me is to tell people that they should not leave their homes but to leave the parks open. If people should not leave their homes why are the parks left open? And who are they left open for?

We are currently trying to figure out if we should go camping or not. I don't think there is any issue with safety, given that the distances between people at the park are relatively large and we don't join others - only sit outside, hike the trails and enjoy the view. But I have no idea if the Arizona State Troopers will ticket people for being out of their homes and traveling to the open parks. It just does not make any sense to me.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #3

You said they are honoring all reservations but are they taking new ones? We camped at Cave Creek County Park in January and I would think it would be a safe place to camp when following the safe distance rule. If I lived anywhere near a big city right now, I'd be looking to camp out in the woods. They police probably will just issue a warning if you come in contact, which I doubt you would. Take what makes no sense to you and just use common sense to replace it.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #4

You're correct. It doesn't make sense since Gov Ducey gave the stay at home order.... but that's him. I haven't checked but are they still leaving the restrooms/showers open in the state parks? That, they shouldn't do. What about day use? That brings in a lot of people. Look at the national parks who first waived the day use fees. Then they found out that too many people were coming in so now they're closed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:38 PM   #5

You could just pick up the phone and ask your local Sheriff/Police. They would know if you can go camping.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #6

A bunch of retired folks can camp in campgrounds and easily maintain social distancing. Some won't but you can't fix that.

When you get faimlies heading out to campgrounds, with their children, social distancing becomes almost impossible.

Who's going to keep disinfecting the fence posts, slides, swings, door knobs of bathrooms,....... Kids are germ carriers.

Maybe they can ban children.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The national parks are closed in az. All golf courses are open also
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzerbiz View Post
You said they are honoring all reservations but are they taking new ones?
Before I called the State Park I checked their reservation system. That had a banner saying that the parks were still open and the reservation page acted as though it would take a new reservation. I did not make one because I had no reason to do so, but it certainly acts like you can make new reservations.

When I called the park itself I was told that it was open "as of now" but that the governor was advising against going. That is what does not make sense to me. If he did not want people to go he should close the parks, or at least the camping sites, and if he does not do that he should understand that people will assume that if the park and camping are open, then they can go to the park and camp.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I haven't checked but are they still leaving the restrooms/showers open in the state parks? That, they shouldn't do. What about day use? That brings in a lot of people.
The parks are open but the showers and rest rooms are closed. I was told that if we come in an RV we should expect to use the RV facilities rather than the park facilities, but we do that anyway.

I did not ask about day use but I would think that if the camping sites are available then the park must also be open for day use.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A bunch of retired folks can camp in campgrounds and easily maintain social distancing. Some won't but you can't fix that.
Camping at this park for us involves sitting next to the lake, taking photos, feeding the ducks, walking the trails and staying away from other people. The site we reserve is at least 50 feet from the nearest RV and probably 150 feet from the nearest cabin. We "social distance" with a vengeance ...
Old 03-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Last time I checked some of the BLM land was still open for dispersed camping even though the regular camp sites were closed. I don't know if that is still true since my call was 4 or 5 days ago. Things seem to change very quickly.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Grand Canyon, Saguaro and Chiricahua are all open as of today. No campgrounds are open, visitor centers closed along with many other things. Basically hiking can be done but there are no restrooms open. Everything should be closed. Period.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:16 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We're currently in Mesa and will leave tomorrow, with a lot of other snowbirds I suppose. We're only going 80 miles to my buddies isolated ranch in Gila county. Gonna ride things out there, even if it takes all summer. Isolating ourselves in his motor home for two weeks then on up to the house. Stay safe everyone.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Arizona Stay at Home Order

I would think that with no restrooms , Day use and “camping” in all public parks would be prohibited. RV parking in a campground is a little different in that you have self contained restroom services. What are people going to do , going to a day use park with no restroom facilities? Yup that’s right ! So they close them.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona