Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2020, 02:24 AM   #1

Be Aware of Internet Airline Ticket Reservations

I will not mention the name but we made reservations to fly from Reno Nv. to Knoxville Tn. 4/21/20 through one of the online reservation sites and now the trouble begins. At first they insisted we wait till we were within 72 hours of departure to request a change or cancellation and then notified us that one of our connecting flights had been cancelled. We decided on a cancellation and asked for a refund, now they will only authorize a credit towards a future booking. Of course the airline will have nothing to do with this.
So I am just wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem? I thought all cancelled flights do to this covid virus were to be fully refuned.
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
I will not mention the name but we made reservations to fly from Reno Nv. to Knoxville Tn. 4/21/20 through one of the online reservation sites and now the trouble begins. At first they insisted we wait till we were within 72 hours of departure to request a change or cancellation and then notified us that one of our connecting flights had been cancelled. We decided on a cancellation and asked for a refund, now they will only authorize a credit towards a future booking. Of course the airline will have nothing to do with this.
So I am just wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem? I thought all cancelled flights do to this covid virus were to be fully refuned.
Bill

We get a flight credit for whatever we spent and have instead of 90 days to re-book, until the end of the year. Airlines are losing so much money, they can’t start writing checks too.

I had my April 10 flight cancelled by the airline, a few weeks ago, and they forced us to go through a process to get the flight credits. That was Frontier.

We have tickets for June 19 with Alaska airlines too, and we are waiting to hear when those will be cancelled. Chances of getting to use both sets of credits is slim. I figure we are lucky to loose less than $2000 over this whole covid-19 pandemic. We both still have our jobs, and we are all healthy.
Mknmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Each airline can set their own policy BUT if the carrier has cancelled a flight, or has imposed a schedule change that is forcing a long layover (usually 3+ hours) the carrier should refund you IN FULL. If you used a travel agent or company that company many not want to chance refunding, sad to say but this is one reason to deal with the carrier directly. I owned and operated a large travel agency for over 25 years, and though some things have changed I don't believe this has. https://www.tripsavvy.com/airlines-rule-240-54480
Rule 240 used to be magic and tho the CAB is long gone, most experienced travel folks will know exactly what you are saying if you mention it.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
Commercial Member

why not contact the credit card issuer. whenever i have problems like this, i contact the card issuer and they handle it.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

My problem so far is with the internet agency I booked with, haven't even had contact with the airline (United) yet. The agency I am working with also charged my visa card a $70 fee on both our tickets for the credit, I am still battling with them over this to the point were I've stopped all payments to them.
Bill
Old 04-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #6

Yes,i am involved with hassling British air. I spent 4570 to go to Venice and Munich in June. Our trip is cancelled due to death of Tour director, and Italy will not be letting USA folks in anyway by then, we are too far behind the Europe curve. Anyway, British air Web site is abysmal, links to endless loops of pages, refunds mentioned but take you nowhere. Phones calls get polite hangups with no assistance and no help. Was advised I will get only a voucher, must be used within12 months. No go for me, wife has surgery scheduled later this year and we will not be traveling anywhere for a long time. I heard
US Gov't has mandated refunds for folks affected if flight starts or end in USA, airlines are trying to get away with offering only vouchers.CC company charge will be contested.
Jonathan, 2008 Allure Sunset Bay 37 425 ISL #31609
jonemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Your problems with refunds are real, but the reason for them is real also: the airlines simply don't have the money to make refunds.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Bill
Why are you so afraid to mention the name ? If your story is indeed true you should not be embarrassed to state ALL the facts. He said, she said , my brother in law knows a guy that said ..... If some company did you wrong you have the right to call them out on it. Otherwise its just Gossip :(
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #9

WestJet won't be giving refunds or credits!!!

On the other hand, Viking Ocean Cruises canceled us in early March, we received a full refund within the week. Thank you Viking!!!
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #10

Mr. Ted I did not name the agency I am dealing with because I don't want to have my post pulled for it. If I start trashing a company here I will run into touble with the moderators.
Bill
Old 04-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #11

We had a trip to Europe canceled, we got a credit good for 2 years, would of preferred a refund.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:03 PM   #12

Federal Legislation Needed

According to Consumers Reports (Union) Federal legislation is necessary to ensure the 10 billion in unrefunded (yes 10 with a B) are refunded. How many of the airlines will survive is anyone's guess. Virgin Airlines is just days away from bankruptcy and they will not be be the last. United is seriously considering laying off 6000 pilots in Oct. Its going to be ugly.
Bill
wfrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Bill
It always pays to read the fine print.

Tags
air, internet