Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #15

We went West last summer on short notice...no reservations without any problems. Hopefully the newbies will not learn that you do not need reservations or Full Hookups.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #16

Come to Texas. Gov. Abbott removes all restrictions as of March 10th.
No required masks, no restrictions on businesses.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have been traveling, along with many others, since last fall.

RVing is the definition of social distancing.

Yeah, but .... going into grocery stores for RV food restocking and traveling in a tow truck cab if your RV breaks down .... is not social distancing.

Our RV has sat in the backyard being maintained for over a year now to be sure it's really safe to be out and about with it.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Yeah, but .... going into grocery stores for RV food restocking and traveling in a tow truck cab if your RV breaks down .... is not social distancing.

Our RV has sat in the backyard being maintained for over a year now to be sure it's really safe to be out and about with it.
How do you do avoid Covid at home?

We traveled almost 20,000 in the Toad and the Coach last Summer we did curbside pickup at Walmart as we traveled - Or used other Curb side pickups - I can honestly say we were as safe on the Road as we have been at home. Trust me it sure is great to change the View.

That said - there were more than enough people on the road - many for the first time - so if you feel better sitting at home, by all means Stay at Home.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:

Riding in a tow truck ! Really, that's a big concern ?
I'll use my toad and follow the tow truck. No toad, rent a car.

We shop at home so shopping on the road changes nothing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:15 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Out traveling I can tell you that most places ... restaurants .. inside dining ... and gas stations , stores and campgrounds are still open and freeways are busy . I think if you stay home and didn’t get a diverse look you’d think by some reports the country was closed and everyone is staying home .... It’s not. Some big cities and states yes are still under heavy restrictions but most of the bulk of the country is open and happy to serve you . Of course there’s some restrictions , but the roads stores etc have plenty of traffic and customers ( with lots of plexiglass , wish I had stock)
If your not comfortable then by all means do what’s best for you, just know things are open when your ready
Old 03-02-2021, 11:22 PM   #21

We don't travel with a toad ... so if our Class C breaks down, we ride in the tow vehicle with it somewhere. As I understand it, in some areas tow truck companies do not allow customers to ride in the truck when towing customer vehicles during this pandemic. The need for this happens. The DW and myself had to ride in the tow truck once when our daily driver broke down - and the same requirement would exist if our motorhome broke down.

We do not go into stores at all during this pandemic thing when living in our stick house. We do scheduled curbside pickup of grocery orders we make over the Internet and order over the Internet the rest of our daily living supplies to be delivered to our home. Try doing this when doing hit-and-run camping like we do - as we're not full timers and we don't camp more than 2-3 days in the same spot. Some of the places we camp don't even have cell phone service so we can access the Internet to make orders.

Taking chances is not in our cards ... there's too many places to camp yet without cutting one's days short or permanently damaging body parts ... that might result from of a bit of temporary covid cabin fever.

However FWIW, we did just today get our 2nd vaccine shots.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
We don't travel with a toad ... so if our Class C breaks down, we ride in the tow vehicle with it somewhere. As I understand it, in some areas tow truck companies do not allow customers to ride in the truck when towing customer vehicles during this pandemic. The need for this happens. The DW and myself had to ride in the tow truck once when our daily driver broke down - and the same requirement would exist if our motorhome broke down.

We do not go into stores at all during this pandemic thing when living in our stick house. We do scheduled curbside pickup of grocery orders we make over the Internet and order over the Internet the rest of our daily living supplies to be delivered to our home. Try doing this when doing hit-and-run camping like we do - as we're not full timers and we don't camp more than 2-3 days in the same spot. Some of the places we camp don't even have cell phone service so we can access the Internet to make orders.
Taking chances is not in our cards ... there's too many places to camp yet without cutting one's days short or permanently damaging body parts ... that might result from of a bit of temporary covid cabin fever.

However FWIW, we did just today get our 2nd vaccine shots.

Ok I get where your coming from. Kinda .... But .... You have the shots and in two weeks your unlikely to contract COVID even if in contact with it. What exactly has to happen before you will feel safe to again travel? Or even go into a store or restaurant? It sounds like you’ll be at home until COVID is totally gone ( not going to happen according to science)? I know several folks who won’t go out , I’m just curious how do they get back to “life”.
The latest promise is anyone who wants a shot will have it by the end of May ... 3 months from now. If that happens it’s game over , everything open ,masks gone. It’s then on those who don’t want the shot to decide how to handle it.
Btw I see social distance differently not as “not going inside stores”. but maintaining 6’ of distance and wearing a mask if you can’t .. nothing has ever been said about maintain distancing meaning don’t go inside stores.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Ok I get where your coming from. Kinda .... But .... You have the shots and in two weeks your unlikely to contract COVID even if in contact with it. What exactly has to happen before you will feel safe to again travel? Or even go into a store or restaurant? It sounds like you’ll be at home until COVID is totally gone ( not going to happen according to science)? I know several folks who won’t go out , I’m just curious how do they get back to “life”.
The latest promise is anyone who wants a shot will have it by the end of May ... 3 months from now. If that happens it’s game over , everything open ,masks gone. It’s then on those who don’t want the shot to decide how to handle it.
Btw I see social distance differently not as “not going inside stores”. but maintaining 6’ of distance and wearing a mask if you can’t .. nothing has ever been said about maintain distancing meaning don’t go inside stores.
Regardless of personal spacing and more or less adequate face mask sealing, going into a room with maybe several other folks in that room probably is going to have more "whatever stuff" in the air resulting from their breathing than when outside 6 feet or more apart. BTW, 6 feet is just a best guess estimate by the experts - i.e. what about being outside more than 6 feet from a Covid-19 carrier when a gentle breeze just happens to be blowing their breath towards you and your mask (even if it's an N95) leaks a bit around the edges?

We've gotten the regular flu shots for years and as a result hadn't had the regular flu for years ... until late January of last year (2020) after an RV trip to Quartszite and Northern AZ. On that trip, we came down with some flu-like thing that was the worse we've had in years. We had to drive home sick and suffer for many days after we arrived home. We don't want anything resembling that ever again if it can be avoided.

With Covid-19 variants now coming along - that this first wave of vaccine technologies/mixtures may not protect folks from - who knows, even more shots of an adjusted vaccine may be required.

Covid-19 and it's variants might be something to not mess with ... especially for me after watching my mother die of long congestion years ago.

We'll RV travel foot-loose and fancy-free after true herd immunity is achieved for the base virus and it's variants.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
PhillG , Thanks for clarifying. We don’t see things the same way but it certainly helps to understand.I’m in Florida We have been going to stores as needed and inside seating restaurants for months with 3x weekly trips to Disney for walks and dinner or desert. As you can see much different.
We also were in AZ in January of 20’ and came down with something on our return trip. Very sick flue like.took several days for us to get over it. I haven’t been sick in years. Later we were tested for antibodies and none so it wasn’t COVID.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #25

So you mask up, hop in the tow truck and ride.

Planes , trains and autos run all of the time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
So you mask up, hop in the tow truck and ride.

Planes , trains and autos run all of the time.
If ... the tow company will allow customers to ride in the tow truck cab masked or otherwise ... which is an enclosed airspace with everyone in it closer than 6 feet.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
PhillG , Thanks for clarifying. We don’t see things the same way but it certainly helps to understand.I’m in Florida We have been going to stores as needed and inside seating restaurants for months with 3x weekly trips to Disney for walks and dinner or desert. As you can see much different.
We also were in AZ in January of 20’ and came down with something on our return trip. Very sick flue like.took several days for us to get over it. I haven’t been sick in years. Later we were tested for antibodies and none so it wasn’t COVID.
We "probably" could have been doing the same here in CA ... but after months of ordering everything and anything being delivered to our doorstep or car trunk ... we're beginning to like this kind of low-key way of resupplying and will continue doing this from now on out.

P.S. It helps, in staying home for these past several months, that we are blessed to be able to live on acreage in a partially treed mountain setting with beauty all around, including a setting sun canyon view out our main living room's windows -> about equal to some of the wonderful natural settings we've drycamped in. We even have high-speed Internet out here in the sticks! The only downsides to out stick house living versus RV camping are CA earthquakes, torrential CA coastal range rains that fill gutters and drainage paths, CA wildfires, and CA power outages requiring constant filling of our home backup generator's gas tank.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
If your attitude is that it is too risky to use your RV because you might have to ride in a tow truck, well then you might as well sell the RV. Things are never going to change enough to eliminate all risk. We are likely to be living with this virus in one way or another for the rest of our lives.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel