Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #1

Beware of festival financial solvency

In these uncertain times, I suggest being careful about purchasing festival tickets and associated campground reservations in advance. Case in point, the Lightning In A Bottle festival here in California cancelled the festival and notified ticket holders that they’ve already spent their money and are unable to issue refunds. They stated they’d work with people for future events, but to me this is highly irresponsible.
I didn’t purchase tickets for this one, but wanted to pass the info along to be careful about these smaller family run type festivals until this virus situation is under control
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
https://lightninginabottle.org/experience/

Definitely looks like the kind of thing to avoid anyway
Old 03-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #3

Haven't a clue who ANY of those 'entertainers' are----never heard of any listed in line-up so not missing anything

At least it was cancelled.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:48 PM   #4

It takes a huge amount of up-front money to build an event like LIB. They shouldn't have spent the advance ticket sales money. Typically, the promoter puts up that money and the box office (physical, virtual, pre-sell and walk-up sales) receipts held in escrow until designated settlement time. This is shady, and it might be worth contacting the California Attorney General's consumer protection office. The promoter could claim "force majeure" because of Covid-related actions, but if the promoter is just saying "oops, sorry, I've spent your money and there's nothing to refund" it's less clear if there is some absolution from squaring with their ticket buyers.

Decades ago, National Lampoon magazine came with a 'money back guarantee'. "You return the un-read portion of the magazine and we'll refund the un-spent portion of your money."
Old 03-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Haven't a clue who ANY of those 'entertainers' are----never heard of any listed in line-up so not missing anything

At least it was cancelled.
Aww now... It's aimed at having new experiences and creating memories, like RVing...er, sort of!

There are a number of things that look 'meh' to me, but there were a number of other interesting things. Plus, it's a festival, you can move about if you don't like what you're seeing/hearing.

I'm guessing that much of the iRV2 community is not the target audience of such an event as LIB.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:49 AM   #6

That doesn't look like a "oh we're just a small family run business and can't do refunds" to me.
That's a big time event and I smell a big time rat. Hope the tickets weren't too much.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:12 AM   #7

If that is the only financial loss we have over the next year or two, I think we will be doing ok.
The next few years are going to be rough.
Hunker down folks.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #8

it's memorial day! over 6 weeks away. even much of the up front money spent could be recovered from the various vendors if an effort were made. i'm guessing they just don't want to make the effort! but even so i wouldn't expect any refunds. all they need to do is file bankruptcy and come back under a slightly different name. i'm sure the sponsors will keep their cut!
Old 03-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #9

Interesting thread. We do Art shows where we sell out artwork. One Art Show in Southern Florida was telling artists who called in after that show was cancelled that they would waive applications fees for next years show, only for artist who had been selected to attend this year, and who had already paid their booth fee, ($450.00 and up). In addition, they will send a voucher in the amount of 25% of the booth fee paid that can applied to next years booth fee (another $450.00 unless they raise it next year). If the voucher is not used next year, they plan to send out checks for the unused voucher amount. They plan on pocketing the remaining 75% . . . Several artists have also reported that when they phoned to inquire about the refund policy, they were encouraged to just donate their entire booth fee to the Organizers to help them through this "difficult time". . . . .
Another artist received a call stating that "they were offering a 100% refund to artists if they agree to never do her shows again."

Her reply to the organizer was:
“you know what, I’m gonna take you up on that because I just lost all respect for you”

Hard times . . .
Old 03-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
If that is the only financial loss we have over the next year or two, I think we will be doing ok.
The next few years are going to be rough.
Hunker down folks.
But no one likes to get screwed like this.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #11

I would expect them to follow whatever the cancellation policy was at the time the tickets were purchased. The only thing I found was on their FAQ page under TICKETS, bullet point #4 says "All sales are final. No refunds."

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

I suppose a person could sue and get in line with all the other creditors.

I imagine that with the current situation, many events are being cancelled and this circumstance will come up often. It's unfortunate that folks don't read ticket conditions before they purchase them but most folks don't even read contracts before they sign them. Maybe they will in the future.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I would expect them to follow whatever the cancellation policy was at the time the tickets were purchased. The only thing I found was on their FAQ page under TICKETS, bullet point #4 says "All sales are final. No refunds."

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

I suppose a person could sue and get in line with all the other creditors.
This^^, is where the grey area, and lawyers, exist.

If the customer cancels and the show proceeds, there should be no refund.

If the show cancels, preventing the customer from attending, then there needs to be a further qualification. Otherwise, a "promoter" can schedule a show with no intention of ever going through, and simply walk away with all advance ticket receipts. A simple "Act of God," or "circumstances beyond our control," as a reason to cancel and deny a refund, should be included, IMO.

The promoters of this event have sown a field of disappointed customers. Do they care? Who knows. As mentioned, they may be planning on going belly-up and re-appearing under a new name. A lawsuit would be a waste of money unless fraud can be proven. Poor business practices may be negligence, but are not fraud. Can't get blood from a turnip.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #13

Too bad. This one looks like it could have been fun. A Techno-New Age Renaissance Festival!

(You can only do so many bluegrass festivals, Classic Rock Revivals, and the like.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Closed Thread