Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Blue Angels And Thunderbirds "America Strong" Flyover

For your viewing enjoyment.

https://youtu.be/1JESy0CnYPw

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flyover.png
Views:	48
Size:	716.5 KB
ID:	283538
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Cool! We lived on Pensacola Beach in the 1980s and got to see lots of Blue Angels practices and shows. Back then they were still flying those monster F4s. I remember one flew so low over the beach that he climbed to clear a catamaran mast! Wife worked at Eglin AFB and we saw the Thunderbirds several times over there. IIRC one of their maneuvers was to climb vertically, very slowly from a very low altitude. Nail biter!!
Old 04-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Cool! We lived on Pensacola Beach in the 1980s and got to see lots of Blue Angels practices and shows. Back then they were still flying those monster F4s. I remember one flew so low over the beach that he climbed to clear a catamaran mast! Wife worked at Eglin AFB and we saw the Thunderbirds several times over there. IIRC one of their maneuvers was to climb vertically, very slowly from a very low altitude. Nail biter!!
Flew with Bob Hoover in his P51
And Shrike Commander at Redding PA air show.
Very cool.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200429-203518.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	283550
Old 04-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That's wild!

Lotta trust in each other !!
Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

Actually, those guys are probably more relaxed doing that, than we are driving our coach in the middle lane between two semi's, in 40-50mph gusts.

Hi pucker factor !
Old 04-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #6

Actually (again)..... 777 Driver, How does driving your coach in weather/ traffic, compare to landing a large airliner full of passenger, in bad weather?
Old 04-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a copilot at American Airlines, who, when we exchanged introductions, indicated to me that he had flown F-18's in the Navy. During a conversation while enroute on our first leg together, I pressed him a little more regarding his specific background in F-18's. He shared that, when he left active duty, he had more hours of flight time in the F-18 than any other Naval Aviator. When I pressed him for just how he had gained that distinction, he explained that he had flown the "Blue and Gold" jets.

Further, it turned out that shortly after he rotated out of the Blue Angels following two seasons, his replacement had some issue that prevented him from completing his first season. With the season rapidly approaching, my acquaintance was recalled back to his old position (slot) for an additional season.

He was (most surely still is) just a great guy. Quiet, courteous, completely self assured but not proud, the absolute kind of guy you'd want representing the US Navy Flight Demonstration Team.

Oh, one other thing...the best pilot in the cockpit doesn't, necessarily, sit in the left seat.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
777 Driver, How does driving your coach in weather/ traffic, compare to landing a large airliner full of passenger, in bad weather?
Hi Ben,

Well, both require a degree of attention to detail. The consequences of error can be significant. Probably the biggest difference is that there's a much higher degree of confidence in the professionals operating equipment on the "airways" than the "roadways".

Take care,
Stu

P.S. The layovers are much more fun with my current "copilot".
Old 04-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Great video. Thanks for posting it.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #10

Ever have to abort a landing a few feet from the runway due to a gust turning you east/ west, when the runway was north/ south ?
Old 05-09-2020, 12:30 AM   #11

I spent 21 years in the Navy was a member of the original F/A-18 Fleet Introduction Team, joined the team in May 1980. Weren't to many F18's around back then. I retired from the Navy in 1991 spent another 14 years as a Naval Air Tech. Rep. retired for good in 2005. I said all that because I do not remember ever seeing the Blues and the Thunderbirds flying in formation together. I may be wrong but I think that picture is a first.
Bill