Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Breaking news - Non-NIOSH-Approved or Decontaminated Disposable Respirators

Important reading from the FDA

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...le-respirators
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Info-grams sheds new light on important contemporary issues

For your reading pleasure

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2e84980
Old 07-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
when is google gonna have a translator for government-to-english? is this about face masks?
Old 07-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
when is google gonna have a translator for government-to-english? is this about face masks?
They can’t come up with a reliable translator because the meaning is constantly changing
Old 07-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #5

Basically it says we are going back to the pre-covid way of using the $20 respirator 1 time then throwing it out between seeing each patient, even though for the last 18 months we have been telling people to wear the same one for weeks at a time, and where it was ok to use the otherwise identical $3 N95 construction respirator version that does not have the special medical endorsement, lot number tracking, etc. and is not colored blue.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #6

then why not just say that? i worked for state and local govt for decades and always wrote in english.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #7

I prefer the Yellow ones...larger and more fashion-conscious
Old 07-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
then why not just say that? i worked for state and local govt for decades and always wrote in english.

Well the story of covid is rather unique, to say science has left the building and a well-written narrative replaced science would be something to consider. As time goes by a lot of uncomfortable information is coming to light...quite embarrassing at that.

We have the vaccine and it is working, at the same time, a new narrative will be written slowly taking us to reality...In the meantime expect a lot of narratives written that do not define covid but alarm the public to wear a mask..when in doubt...punt.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyezOpen View Post
Well the story of covid is rather unique, to say science has left the building and a well-written narrative replaced science would be something to consider. As time goes by a lot of uncomfortable information is coming to light...quite embarrassing at that.

We have the vaccine and it is working, at the same time, a new narrative will be written slowly taking us to reality...In the meantime expect a lot of narratives written that do not define covid but alarm the public to wear a mask..when in doubt...punt.

Been using masks like these for several years, if they are good enough for them to operate on you with infectious disease they are good enough for this.

https://www.blowoutmedical.com/media...dlnon27501.jpg
Old 07-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #10

The point of the article is that FDA will not longer be allowing KN95 or non medical grade N95 masks to be used in hospitals as they claim there is now a good enough supply of the medical grade N95 masks to go around.

All 3 types, KN95, commercial N95, and medical N95 are rated to filter nearly the same size particle, though KN95 are not US certified, and don't fit as snugly. The real world difference between commercial N95 and medical N95 is mostly regulatory in nature, though the medical grade ones cost a lot more, though they may be tested to a higher level, and are certified to block fluids, etc.

See this PDF comparing the products by 3M https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...o-consider.pdf
Old 07-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #11

Yep, fully agree with you. Point I was making is the mask we have been using for several years is an n95 disposal surgical mask. It cost less than a lot of the n95 masks and affords top protection. The regulatory issue on the kn95 is a whole other issue. Depends which side of the world you are on.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Basically it says we are going back to the pre-covid way of using the $20 respirator 1 time then throwing it out between seeing each patient, even though for the last 18 months we have been telling people to wear the same one for weeks at a time, and where it was ok to use the otherwise identical $3 N95 construction respirator version that does not have the special medical endorsement, lot number tracking, etc. and is not colored blue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The point of the article is that FDA will not longer be allowing KN95 or non medical grade N95 masks to be used in hospitals as they claim there is now a good enough supply of the medical grade N95 masks to go around.

All 3 types, KN95, commercial N95, and medical N95 are rated to filter nearly the same size particle, though KN95 are not US certified, and don't fit as snugly. The real world difference between commercial N95 and medical N95 is mostly regulatory in nature, though the medical grade ones cost a lot more, though they may be tested to a higher level, and are certified to block fluids, etc.

See this PDF comparing the products by 3M https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...o-consider.pdf
I've used n95 masks just like the ones they use in hospitals for years, in my work. Not related to medical, but to keep me protected from dust when cutting tile, granite and other things. I've been buying a bunch of kn95 masks the past year, and I think they're every bit as good. In fact some of the brands I've bought seem to even fit better than n95s, and I prefer the ear loops.

Now that the supply of n95s is coming back, 3M is going to want to reclaim their monopoly on selling to medical establishments, but I'll be sticking with the kn95s. Also easier to carry them around because they fold flat.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To me using a common particle mask to intercept a virus that has to be magnified 40,000 times to be visible is like building a chain link fence to stop mosquitos.

The only thing capable of intercepting such a virus is a NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) mask/respirator.
Closed Thread

Tags
light