Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
California Stay At Home Order= no camping

The Regional California Stay At Home Order, dated December 3, 2020, states under 2g. "Overnight stays at campgrounds are not permitted." It is still OK for CA residents to stay in hotels but not in campgrounds. This order will be in effect within a day or two in Southern California Region, based on ICU bed capacity already falling below the 15 percent threshold last night. The order will be in effect for at least three weeks.

For those of you with reservations in Southern California Region, which encompasses Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Mono. Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, expect for those to be canceled.

It is beyond my comprehension that it is OK to stay in hotels but campgrounds are out of the question.

Supposed to be leaving for a camping trip in Santa Barbara tomorrow, so I am not very happy about this.

Wondering what anyone else's thoughts are and what can we do about this nonsense?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12.3.20-Stay-at-Home-Order-ICU-Scenario (1).pdf (303.4 KB, 23 views)
jirirutner is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #2

ReserveCalifornia

Hey Jiri, I just got off the phone with ReserveCalifornia after a half hour hold. The telephone attendant told me they haven't made any cancellations or turned any campers away from state parks yet. If you have a reservation, you will receive an email indicating any changes.
SteveG. is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #3

I went to CAs covid website yesterday. It basically says campgrounds can stay open if they follow certain guidelines (I'm not sure how well they keep the website updated). The campground at South Carlsbad chose to close anyway. Apparently they think campers go around licking each others faces. Or, more likely, state workers get paid whether they work or not.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirirutner View Post
The Regional California Stay At Home Order, dated December 3, 2020, states under 2g. "Overnight stays at campgrounds are not permitted." It is still OK for CA residents to stay in hotels but not in campgrounds. This order will be in effect within a day or two in Southern California Region, based on ICU bed capacity already falling below the 15 percent threshold last night. The order will be in effect for at least three weeks.

For those of you with reservations in Southern California Region, which encompasses Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Mono. Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, expect for those to be canceled.

It is beyond my comprehension that it is OK to stay in hotels but campgrounds are out of the question.

Supposed to be leaving for a camping trip in Santa Barbara tomorrow, so I am not very happy about this.

Wondering what anyone else's thoughts are and what can we do about this nonsense?
The order actually states that hotel reservations are only for essential travel/infrastructure needs, and out of state reservations for essential needs must be for the duration of the 14 day quarantine period at least, and guests must quarantine in the hotel for the entire stay.

The purpose of the order is to reduce travel and spread. That means things like overnight camping. Makes perfect sense to me. We are currently camping in Santa Barbara, and expecting to be told we must leave as soon as the campground gets the directive from their corporate office.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The recent Regional Stay At aHomd order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo11111 View Post
I went to CAs covid website yesterday. It basically says campgrounds can stay open if they follow certain guidelines (I'm not sure how well they keep the website updated). The campground at South Carlsbad chose to close anyway. Apparently they think campers go around licking each others faces. Or, more likely, state workers get paid whether they work or not.
That is correct, however, if you read the Regional Stay At Home order dated December 3, 2020, it states under 2g. Overnight stays at campgrounds are not permitted. I would imagine this recent order will supersede any previous ones. PDF of this order is attached to my original post.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is copied from the actual order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
The order actually states that hotel reservations are only for essential travel/infrastructure needs, and out of state reservations for essential needs must be for the duration of the 14 day quarantine period at least, and guests must quarantine in the hotel for the entire stay.

The purpose of the order is to reduce travel and spread. That means things like overnight camping. Makes perfect sense to me. We are currently camping in Santa Barbara, and expecting to be told we must leave as soon as the campground gets the directive from their corporate office.
I am reading the original order, not someone else’s interpretation of it, even on Ca government website and this is exactly what the order says regarding lodging.
Exceptasotherwiserequiredbylaw ,nohotelorlodgingentityinCaliforniashall accept or honor out of state reservations for non-essential travel, unless the reservation is for at least the minimum time period required for quarantine and the persons identified in the reservation will quarantine in the hotel or lodging entity until after that time period has expired.
It only covers out of state travel regarding lodging, says nothing about California residents not being able to stay in hotels.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirirutner View Post
I am reading the original order, not someone else’s interpretation of it, even on Ca government website and this is exactly what the order says regarding lodging.
Exceptasotherwiserequiredbylaw ,nohotelorlodgingentityinCaliforniashall accept or honor out of state reservations for non-essential travel, unless the reservation is for at least the minimum time period required for quarantine and the persons identified in the reservation will quarantine in the hotel or lodging entity until after that time period has expired.
It only covers out of state travel regarding lodging, says nothing about California residents not being able to stay in hotels.
More detail, from the Ca.gov. official site, as to why some businesses remain open. (Quoted)

“Hotels and lodging: Allow for COVID-19 mitigation and containment measures, treatment measures, provide accommodation for essential workers, or providing housing solutions, including measures to protect homeless populations.”

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-exc...eeds/#rsho-has

California residents are restricted under clause b. of the order:

“All individuals living in the Region shall stay home or at their place of residence except as necessary to conduct activities associated with the operation, maintenance, or usage of critical infrastructure,1 as required by law, or as specifically permitted in this order.”

The hotel order you address is an addition to the order as it applies to Californians. Hotels are to remain open due their need, as described on the Ca.gov. site, not to operate as business as usual for traveller stop overs.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
“Overnight” means those who spend just one night. It is to discourage casual travel and tourism. Remember the virus doesn’t travel far; it depends on people to do that. Federal campgrounds are closing because no but the camp hosts are long termers. Private campgrounds just require you to stay put.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #9

IF folks would FOLLOW CDC Guidelines these types of measures would NOT be needed

But alas folks do NOT follow the CDC Guidelines and think 'NOT ME'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
IF folks would FOLLOW CDC Guidelines these types of measures would NOT be needed

CDC guidelines are not law. Have or ask one to show you which specific California penal code states just such. As a retired cop from California there is no penal code covering such.
udid is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 10:01 PM   #11

14 days?
CDC just lowered the official period to 10 days last week
Cliffy is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, they can't arrest you for camping out in the desert. I suppose if a campground is closed you can't camp there. It's government control out of control. Looks like we are going to loose a lot of people this month. I have nothing planned so it's easy for me. I'll do my shopping weekdays middle of the day. Is it permitted to say that the state is run by a bunch of idiots. I am being nice.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the new edict straight from the Reserve California website. Note that all southern california counties are in the new restriction starting today.

UPDATE December 4, 2020

The California Department of Parks and Recreation thanks visitors for their partnership as we collectively enable responsible recreation that protects the health of visitors and the dedicated parks staff during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Below you will find the latest update on reservations for California's State Parks System:

On December 3, California issued a Regional Stay at Home Order to stop the surge of COVID-19 cases and prevent a strain on the health care system. This action will help protect critical care for patients.

The new order will be implemented regionally once there is less than 15 percent ICU capacity remaining in the following designated regions: Northern California, Bay Area, Greater Sacramento, San Joaquin Valley and Southern California. State campground sites within these regions will be temporarily closed in accordance with the order.

Whether your specific reservation will be canceled depends on whether the selected campground is located within one of the impacted regions. If the campsite is within an impacted region, your reservation will be canceled, possibly with little advance notice, due to the critical need to stop the COVID-19 surge. Affected reservation holders will be contacted by ReserveCalifornia via email and provided with a refund. Reservation cancellations and refunds will be automatic. As such, visitors do not need to take any action. However, please note that due to the volume of visitors affected, the refund process may take some time.

While the Regional Stay at Home Order restricts certain activities, the state also recognizes that mental health is physical health. As such, day use outdoor areas of park units currently open to the public will remain open. Members of the same household are encouraged to stay local and recreate responsibly in the outdoors.

As a reminder, all guided tours at parks and museums remain suspended until further notice and the 2020 Junior Lifeguard Program has been canceled. Participants that have signed up for the program are being notified and refunds will be provided automatically.

We have flattened the COVID-19 curve before and, together, we can do it again. Learn more at State Parks COVID-19 Resource Center or www.covid19.ca.gov.
egwilly is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Exactly. Not that hard to do either. Common sense seems to have thrown by the wayside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

JC2 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
california, camping