Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #1

Campground and related Covid restrictions?

I am wondering what sort of restrictions people are still seeing while traveling, I know this varies from state to state, that is why I am starting this new thread.

We just returned home from an approximately thousand mile loop from western Louisiana to southern Tennessee, along the way we saw a variety of covid related restrictions. On the trip we stayed in a mix of public and private campgrounds, visited a few historic sites, and dined out in restaurants for the first time in over a year a few times.

What we encountered was a mix of closures and partial closures, mostly at federally operated facilities, ranging from restaurants still doing take out only, to some with 50% seating, and others basically life as normal. We drove up and back down the Natchez trace parkway (operated by the national park service), where there was limited closures, visitors centers were "open" in that they had a pass through window and the rangers / host would give directions or hand brochures through the window. Mask mandates were in effect for all federal buildings on the trace, this included rest rooms at rest areas. At the beginning of the trip some of these rest rooms were closed due to covid, though by the end of the trip it seemed those had opened back up mostly. At federally operated campgrounds it was a mix of restrooms closed, or restrooms open, but showers still closed. (not a big deal for us as we are self contained and never use such facilities). State park and municipal campground where we stayed still had social distancing for check in / out with pass through windows, etc. Commercial campgrounds were basically life as normal. This covers the range from Louisiana, Mississippi and southern Tennessee, in general I received the impression that the farther north we went the more the restrictions were, but this was a mild impression.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2021, 06:22 PM   #2

You answered your own question. What you stated will be the norm everywhere in the U.S.A.
Gonna be a short thread.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

It may be, though I have to wonder if some regions are seeing more closures than others. For example has anyone recently traveled to the mountain states and have anything to report on closures.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:25 PM   #4

A few private campgrounds in Oregon still have pools, meeting room and kid play areas and such closed. Most of Oregon still has a mask mandate indoors in public. It is getting better every week as vaccinations increase. Although, we still have 5-10 dying and 400-500 new cases per day. This is not under control yet… we have been full time in our motorhome since September with no issues camping getting around. Moving again this weekend and then again next week. Both private and State campgrounds. No issues with Covid-19 stopping our travels. Although, we have only eaten out once since March of 2020 and that was on an outdoor patio… this has been our choice lately as restaurants are open in a lot of areas now.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #5

Covid restrictions going away. Mask going away soon at a location near you.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassAboater View Post
A few private campgrounds in Oregon still have pools, meeting room and kid play areas and such closed. Most of Oregon still has a mask mandate indoors in public. It is getting better every week as vaccinations increase. Although, we still have 5-10 dying and 400-500 new cases per day. This is not under control yet… we have been full time in our motorhome since September with no issues camping getting around. Moving again this weekend and then again next week. Both private and State campgrounds. No issues with Covid-19 stopping our travels. Although, we have only eaten out once since March of 2020 and that was on an outdoor patio… this has been our choice lately as restaurants are open in a lot of areas now.
Oregon will be the last state in the nation to lift restrictions, in fact it is now the last state. There has been so much political discord over this calamity it be very hard to let go of.

Just give it time, Let the wounds heal. Change does not come quickly for many. Just breathe give us all time to change. Science is now coming front and center
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It may be, though I have to wonder if some regions are seeing more closures than others. For example has anyone recently traveled to the mountain states and have anything to report on closures.
I was just in Idaho and Wyoming. My anecdotal experience:

Masks and masking did not exist except in the National Parks.

I felt a sense of absurdity associated with how the local fuel station operated when compared with the Visitor Center in the National Park.

Beyond that, in my western travels, the majority of private campgrounds have drastically cut back on mask requirements when entering common buildings. Patrons have almost entirely stopped wearing them unless the sign on the door requires it.

Personal opinion warning: I concurrently wish more people were choosing to get vaccinated, while also wishing more people who are vaccinated understood and trusted it relative to it's impact on their personal protection.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:18 AM   #8

The honor system of those not vaccinated who should be wearing masks certainly isn't working. They're just blending in with the vaccinated. They're going to be able to get the virus and pass it on to others who are not vaccinated. This should be an interesting summer!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:44 AM   #9

Here in Myrtle Beach, masks are basically your choice. MBSP has no mask required. Been to a couple of restaurants no mask required.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #10

We just got back from a trip to Charleston and Isle of Palms in SC. truck stops, restaurants, beaches fully open and no mask requirements that I saw. Even the campground did not require any mask. In our area if western NC, everything is open and appears to be very close to what was normal pre-covid.
ncsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Old 06-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #12

Uhm... there was a time that the chours sang out "super speader" brewing. Only time will tell now.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
Uhm... there was a time that the chours sang out "super speader" brewing. Only time will tell now.
In the last few days I have been able to go maskless in businesses in both Oregon and Washington State because I have been vaccinated.

New cases and deaths related to covid-19 have not dropped below levels in two states I have been in that state and federal parks were locked down.

I would hope that a year has provided enough experience to know that getting out and camping is good for heath.

I would also assume there are many still at risk because their health does not permit taking a vaccine. So I agree that only time will tell.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:54 PM   #14

Native (reservation) lands are still very strict. You must wear a mask and get your temperature taken before entering a grocery store (Tuba City, AZ last week). At the Grand Canyon, shower house and laundry facilities are locked up. We were just at both the N. Rim and S Rim 10 days ago. Restrooms are open and market stores are open but often low on supplies. Lots of people wanting services but they are not always available. In other areas, we were able to dine in at many places but wait times to get served were slow due to lack of staff.

Tags
campground