RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Canadian/US Border to remain closed

PM Trudeau states the US does not have the Covid enough under control.

Wondering the impact on the snowbirds and their RV's at this point.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/trudea...-under-control
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The article states that Canada is going thru a second wave of infections as well.

More testing=more cases reported..... Simple math.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yep, going to be a long cold winter.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
The article states that Canada is going thru a second wave of infections as well.

More testing=more cases reported..... Simple math.
The important number, is the % of test being positive .
You can test all you want , if the % of tests that come back positive is between 1.& 1.5 % your doing well ; when the % of tests being positive rate jumps to 10% well you've got issues. One area in a Canadian major city came in at 18%.

Three Canadian provinces have an infection rate, that's being described as the beginning of the second wave.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #5

Regardless of how you want to parse things, infection rates are going up again. Wisconsin, where I live, is now at about 20% positive testing rate. We can do better, and we need to.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #6

The problem with using % positive is that it only works if you maintain a consistent criteria for who should get tested. It is only logical that you will get a higher % positive rate when only testing symptomatic people vs when you are testing anyone suspected of being exposed.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Lets stick to the topic and keep below in mind for future post.

From the Readme in Covid section.
Quote:
Please read carefully:

Because of the very high interest and posting activity regarding COVID-19, the site team has established this temporary new forum to contain all threads related to this topic. We have moved existing threads on this topic to this new forum and will continue to move posts and new threads to this area of the forum, regardless of where they were initially posted.

All Community Rules will be strictly enforced in this forum. Posts in violation of the rules may be deleted without notification based on the judgment of the moderators. In addition, posts that exhibit fear-mongering or other anti-social behavior may result in the author’s posting privileges being restricted. Please be especially cautious about posting politically charged content and be sure to report problem posts.

There has been a lot of very useful information and perspective shared here on this topic, but unfortunately also a good bit that does not meet our standards. Please respect your fellow members by thinking through this before posting:

- Is it true?
- Is it helpful?
- Is it kind?

If you have any questions about this, feel free to message any moderator.

Wishing good health to all,
The Moderator Team
Site Staff
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
One Positive thru all this .. Is that We Americans may be able to find more available camping facilities during the winter months, In areas that formerly were booked solid months/years in advance..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:

The impact is more older Canadians are going to die.

Controlling a virus is like controlling the weather. You can not control it but you can manage it.

Hot and cold weather is a know public health issue especially for the elderly.

I prefer a lawn chair on the sand of the GOM to cabin fever in a northern assisted living center. Healthier too.

Covid-19 is no longer new. Last March, Spanish flu was reason we had to flatten the curve. It is not the Spanish Flu, smallpox, or polio.

We now have enough data. There is not compelling reason to restrict how we travel.

I do not need or want some goverment official to protect me because I am old. Mostly because they are not very competent.

Last year I visited my son in DC and daughter NYC. Earlier this year I said I would not do it because of covid-19 risk. Changed my mind. Just visited them. We avoided high risk activity.

Next on my agenda is visiting BIL close to death with cancer and a cousin with kidney failure.

For those of us at high risk of dying, covid-19 does not change the risk. The death bed vigil is a sad part of life.

I have a theory why 71% of the 'covid-19' deaths in Arizona are over 65 years old. We do a great job of getting people to old age so they can retire in Arizona in the winter.

If you look at at less fortunate places where things like malaria are common statistics may tell a different story.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

The snowbirds will be cold and grumpy and have to learn how to winterize their RVs. The camp spaces they use to occupy will be occupied by some of the new US RVers.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was talking with a RV park manager last night and she brought up an interesting point.....a lot of Canadians store their RV's here in the warm states and fly down for the 4 month warmup.

She mentioned that her reservations are a little less than last year, but is not worried about it. They will come.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #12

As a Texan not an issue for me. Feel sorry for Canadian snowbirds that are free to come down to US at there own cost. I do understand his concerns about returning travels since the death rate as a percent of infections is so high in Canada verses the US. When they get the medical practice for treating positive cases under control maybe things will open up. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #13
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
One Positive thru all this .. Is that We Americans may be able to find more available camping facilities during the winter months, In areas that formerly were booked solid months/years in advance..

ya it will be, among other issues. no downside
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #14

Another positive is that Canadians are stuck up there and can't come down to their MFG for warranty work. My MFG told me that they have openings coming up since the borders closed.
Downside is I could've gotten the work done in April but my appointment was cancelled from Covid. Had to put up with several issues for the whole camping season vs having them done.
Stay healthy.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote