Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #15

FWIW: Friends of ours are flying on 18th Oct (aged 73 and 76) got coverage for up to 60 days with Medipac (inc COVID), but said very expensive compared to past. Coming back to Canada 9th December and then plan on going back again after Xmas. They have a place in Palm Springs they usually go to for the winter months. This year they said it's all soooooo different, but they'd rather look out their windows at Palm trees than several feet of snow!

Believe Manulife were supposed to be announcing coverage for COVID for USA in October, as long as doesn't hit Level 4 advisory and stays Level 3 or below.

Just sharing for any that want to look further into this.

As a heads up on just how quickly things can change when you travel during these times = so much uncertainty in a pandemic! My cousin (UK nurse) who hadn't seen her hubby since January, flew to Turkey for 5 weeks and was due to fly back from Turkey to the UK on Sun 4th Oct and start work again on Mon 5th Oct. On Thursday just prior their prime minister announced a change, that from 2am Sat morning everyone including health care workers that were exempt prior would have to quarantine for 14 days upon returning. It was OK for 300 to be on the flight from Turkey and other countries to the UK, but upon arrival they were not allowed to catch trains or coaches/buses etc to get home. Crazy but they could only get into a cab in the back or personally collected = would cost a fortune for many with 100's miles from home still.

Just saying, in these times, things can change on a dime officialdom wise, with little to no warning. If there were to be an order to get back home or ....... then it's going to be one heck of a scramble with so few and limited flights as well.

It's frustrating for a lot of us spending a whole winter in the frigid north, but for us it seems the most responsible and prudent thing to do right now, and maybe for a long time to come.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv ers View Post
Let's hope that this covid decides to leave .May be things will get better, winter in Canada is long.

Well a viable treatment and vaccine ; will help; but like the flu , it's here to stay and with a report that a 25 year old has got it for the second time , that'll throw a wrench into the works .
Why the governments wait till the 15/16 of the month to announce extensions( of the 21st closure day) when , the PM says as long as the USA rates of infection are surging ; it'll stay closed. Give the extension for three months and put us out of our misery, and make extension announcements a month in advance.
So here I am , with a winters worth of " honey do " list, and looking for winter clothes that went into storage 13 years ago .
Old 10-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
So here I am , with a winters worth of " honey do " list, and looking for winter clothes that went into storage 13 years ago .
Hope you are not like us Skip and gained some spread and pounds in that time! Hubby and I piled on 10lbs and 15lbs during the beginning of COVID-19 with too much experimental home cooking dishes and home made breads. I'm not sure how much in the past 13 years!
Old 10-15-2020, 04:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
Hope you are not like us Skip and gained some spread and pounds in that time! Hubby and I piled on 10lbs and 15lbs during the beginning of COVID-19 with too much experimental home cooking dishes and home made breads. I'm not sure how much in the past 13 years!
I have been eating leftovers out of our fridge. Unfortunately, I need more veggies and less rice, potatoes and meats. So while leftovers are cheap, my jeans don't fit as well, when I do have to put pants on.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:17 AM   #19

Can someone explain due to C-19 why in some bureaucrat's mind it is OK to fly between Canada and USA but not drive?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Can someone explain due to C-19 why in some bureaucrat's mind it is OK to fly between Canada and USA but not drive?
NO!

I would think it's probably that the MPs and senators who own properties in FL & AZ with cars parked in their garages there don't want to be sitting in Ottawa for the winter.

Latest here , was a couple trying to go through the USA to get to their property in Mexico were turned around at the US border , after two mins in the USA and contact with only the US border agent who sent them back to Canada .
Canadian border services informed them they had to quarantine for 14 days.
Go figure!
Old 10-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #21

Quote:
According to one border agent, it's because they feel they have more control of you going direct to one destination (containment/monitoring) by flying. Whereas driving you can be stopping off here there and everywhere contaminating.

Like I said, according to one border agent - not sure how true it is? Someone else said it's about money for the airlines - but they are limited numbers in the air right now so ........

Who really knows I like the government bigwigs having properties and car in garage in the sunbelt hence why allowed to fly reasoning as the best excuse
Old 10-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post

Who really knows I like the government bigwigs having properties and car in garage in the sunbelt hence why allowed to fly reasoning as the best excuse
Every government action , deserves it's own conspiracy theory , I'm an equal opportunity starter.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
If I'm reading this right, per the "Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Who can travel to Canada – Citizens, permanent residents, foreign nationals and refugees" web pages, there seems to be no distinction for "travellers entering Canada by air or by land."

(see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ns.html#exempt)
rosebud1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #24

Hallelujah,,,Us Florida residents might finally be able to get a camping spot to use. It would be so good to be able to use our Florida campgrounds with our kids.
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud1218 View Post
If I'm reading this right, per the "Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Who can travel to Canada – Citizens, permanent residents, foreign nationals and refugees" web pages, there seems to be no distinction for "travelers entering Canada by air or by land."

(see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ns.html#exempt)
So it would seem , but by the time , you read through " Who Qualifies to enter" and get through the " Quarantine Requirements " and the " Footnotes " . Just about anyone can be refused entry if all the requirements aren't met , turned around in their vehicle or put on the next plane back to their place of origin.
Airlines are careful not to board passengers who won't meet the requirements ; to stay in Canada; because last I heard they were responsible to fly them back.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #26

Hi, i think this has changed , we can go anywhere we whant but there is a 14 day quarantine when we come back to canada, and there arr at lease three insurance companies that have covered covid , and they arr not that much
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
Hallelujah,,,Us Florida residents might finally be able to get a camping spot to use. It would be so good to be able to use our Florida campgrounds with our kids.
What ? You're not out using the RV sites all summer, kids aren't in school , shame .
Old 10-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany View Post
Hi, i think this has changed , we can go anywhere we whant but there is a 14 day quarantine when we come back to canada, and there arr at lease three insurance companies that have covered covid , and they arr not that much

Well as of the TV news , an hour ago , no word on " non essential travel " restrictions into the USA, being extended or modified in any way .

Insurance , well a quote I had last month for my multi use 31 day travel medical , was $524 CD for DW and I. BUT ! policy limit $2M was only for non-COVID-19 . COVID limit was 200K , to extend the 200K up to the 2M was $560 more . I was afraid to ask what my usual 150 day policy would cost .
If you're saying not that much , I guess I'd better shop around.

Tags
florida, winter