RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:03 AM   #1

Cancelling NY res due to travel restrictions

Hoping that NY would lift travel restrictions due to C-19 and Canada would open the border, I waited til the last minute to cancel my popular NY CG reservations.

Yesterday I cancelled 9 CG reservation along the eastern seaboard NY and Canada, and re-routed up through the midwest to our 30 stay at Traverse Bay RV resort in Michigan.

The 3 KOA's gave a full refund even one not in NY. I waited on the phone for 30 minutes to cancel by Kueka Lake SP CG in NY. Finally gave up and cancelled online loosing 15 bucks. All in all I lost about 100 bucks, most from one private CG near Savannah, GA which would refund nothing. Cancelling the 2 Canadian public CG's was easy, less than 5 minutes on the phone and a full refund.

I rerouted up through GA, TN, IL, OH, and MI staying at public CG's all the way.

I was really looking forward to visiting the Finger Lakes region of Western NY, one of my favorite camping area's. We'll try again next year.
When I called the Watkins Glenn KOA and explained the NY governor won't let me in, her immediate response was, "I didn't vote for him"

Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #2

I cancelled our planned stay at the the Newburgh NY KOA and before I could even say anything about the cancellation fee, the person on the phone said they were waiving the normal cancellation fee due to travel restrictions for out of state visitors. That was a pleasant surprise not having to fight the fee.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
When I called the Watkins Glenn KOA and explained the NY governor won't let me in, her immediate response was, "I didn't vote for him"
This is a pretty common reply from most people not living in NYC. LOL. He only won 14 out of 62 counties, only 7 counties north of NYC. Sorry for the political reply. Also, sorry you can't visit. I live in the finger lakes region and it's a beautiful place to visit.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
This is a pretty common reply from most people not living in NYC. LOL. He only won 14 out of 62 counties, only 7 counties north of NYC. Sorry for the political reply. Also, sorry you can't visit. I live in the finger lakes region and it's a beautiful place to visit.
I used to live in upstate (not far from the Finger Lakes) and always thought that upstate should split away from NYC..... totally different worlds and attitudes.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:34 AM   #5

We passed through NY just after the new travel restriction went into effect and there were no checkpoints at the border on I-84. We will be heading back across later this week.
We have not had any problems finding campgrounds to stay in and we have not booked more than a week in advance. Most don't have anything but the laundry open and are only taking self contained RVs.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:41 AM   #6

Well I thought of just going anyway, but the last thing I want to happen is to be stopped by a state trouper with my obvious to see FL tags.

Also some CG's are refusing FL residents even with reservations.

I just hope with FL leading the way with new C-19 infections, other states don't follow NY's lead and also restrict travel.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Well I thought of just going anyway, but the last thing I want to happen is to be stopped by a state trouper with my obvious to see FL tags.

Also some CG's are refusing FL residents even with reservations.

I just hope with FL leading the way with new C-19 infections, other states don't follow NY's lead and also restrict travel.
I've seen several cars pulled over with tags from the restricted states along the highways. I don't know if they were pulled over for the tags, but one would "assume". I doubt most campgrounds would care, especially upstate, but I agree it's not worth the chance.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:47 AM   #8

Was planning a trip to Boston but that has been canceled. I’m to old and to many cases on the east coast. Going north to the mountains to be alone. Maybe next year this will clear. Take care and safe travels wherever that may be.

Enjoy the journey
Old 07-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #9

This Sep/Oct we're leaving NYS for GOOD! Finally driven out of our home by the "Governor"... any one remember the same sort on "The Walking Dead" a few years back?
345 desoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 desoto View Post
This Sep/Oct we're leaving NYS for GOOD! Finally driven out of our home by the "Governor"... any one remember the same sort on "The Walking Dead" a few years back?
Smart Move...... I have one more in HS, 11 grade this year. Once he's off to college we'll most likely doing the same. Love the area, we both grew up here but we've had enough. Between the politics and the winter's it has pretty much sealed the deal. When we used to get lot's a snow and it was fairly warm we loved it. Now, with the 6 months of grey and unpredictable cold and storms, we've had enough.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #11

Now that the Governor of NYS has decreed that we must complete a contact form upon entering the state or be fined $2000 and quarantine for 14 days I guess it is time to cancel our trip and travel elsewhere. Already cancelled Maine for similar reasons guess we will support a different region. So sad
RV Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
I've seen several cars pulled over with tags from the restricted states along the highways. I don't know if they were pulled over for the tags, but one would "assume". I doubt most campgrounds would care, especially upstate, but I agree it's not worth the chance.
This is an exceptionally bad time to commit any sort of traffic infraction in NYS in my opinion. The state is starving for cash, and Troopers are blanketing the state roads. Masked men with guns wearing grey (that is, NY State Troopers) are pulling cars over seemingly *everywhere*. During the worst of the COVID crisis traffic was much lighter and you could seemingly get away with nearly anything. Not now. This is actually a good thing, because some people were getting out of control. It was fun while it lasted, though. ;-) (No, no, not in a coach! What are you *thinkin'*?)

Is there any bias for out of state plates? No idea. But if you're a cop, and you see an infraction (probable cause to pull you over, right there), and it's an out of state plate, the temptation to check on quarantine status (and perhaps generate several times the revenue created by, say, a speeding ticket or failure to signal a lane change) might be very strong. It seems likely that nobody's getting new cars this year, or comm gear, or other essentials. Even some PPE is in short supply for the troopers I know personally.

Not to imply that traffic enforcement and revenue are ever connected in any way. No, of course not.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Not to imply that traffic enforcement and revenue are ever connected in any way. No, of course not.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The travel restrictions will be lifted when conditions improve. When the northeast was hot, Florida put a travel ban in effect with roadside checkpoints and airport screening to keep travelers from NY out.

Now that weíve gotten things under control, we need to keep it that way. The testing shortages due to government mismanagement and the flare ups in Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. are impacting the ability to test and track nationwide. Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire have their own restrictions. This is the map Vermont is using as of 7/10/2020. They are restricting travel based on your home county. Travel from much of Ct, Ma, and NY is restricted.

Attachment 293259

This is the current map for the NY/NJ/Ct travel restrictions

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6985.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	293264

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel