Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #15

My question is not about having to wear a mask but about the effectiveness of the vaccine. I am fully vaccinated but it sounds like I can still get this new variant. So why did I bother to get the vaccine? I also understand the hesitancy of others who have not been vaccinated. What is the true story behind this virus? And on that note, if the theory of this being a weaponized virus spread by a foreign actor to mess up our way of life, well they did a bang up job.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #16

RetiredbutWorking

You said that is a much kinder way than I was "thinking" it!

Thanks. And you are absolutely correct.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
My question is not about having to wear a mask but about the effectiveness of the vaccine. I am fully vaccinated but it sounds like I can still get this new variant. So why did I bother to get the vaccine? I also understand the hesitancy of others who have not been vaccinated. What is the true story behind this virus? And on that note, if the theory of this being a weaponized virus spread by a foreign actor to mess up our way of life, well they did a bang up job.
The answer to that question is on the CDC web site page for fully vaccinated people. Below is the relevant section and I've highlighted the relevant items:

What We Know
COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective at preventing COVID-19, including severe illness and death.
COVID-19 vaccines are effective against severe disease and death from variants of the virus that causes COVID-19 currently circulating in the United States, including the Delta variant.
Infections happen in only a small proportion of people who are fully vaccinated, even with the Delta variant. When these infections occur among vaccinated people, they tend to be mild.

If you are fully vaccinated and become infected with the Delta variant, you can spread the virus to others.
People with weakened immune systems, including people who take immunosuppressive medications, may not be protected even if fully vaccinated.

Breakthrough cases will occur and on a rare occasion such as RobbieH describes with his father, they can be severe. However, you are far less likely to have a severe case or die if you are vaccinated than if you are not vaccinated.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Delta variant is alpha on steroids

One has a choice and as always choice comes with consequences

Choose wisely........ you and the ones you love depend on it
*even those that you don't know or like also

Simple..........
This simply isn't true. More contagious, significantly less deadly. Follows the pattern of every virus in the history of mankind.
Danny969 is offline   Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Delta variant is alpha on steroids

One has a choice and as always choice comes with consequences

Choose wisely........ you and the ones you love depend on it
*even those that you don't know or like also

Simple..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny969 View Post
This simply isn't true. More contagious, significantly less deadly. Follows the pattern of every virus in the history of mankind.
From a contagious perspective Old-Biscuit is right - Delta is significantly more contagious than Alpha, which was estimated to be ~50% more contagious than the original strain. As to outcomes and mortality, it would seem that not enough data has been collected and analyzed at this point to know for certain. However, conditions today are very different than early on given vaccine availability and effectiveness so making an even comparison isn't easy. Here are a couple links that I found interesting as it pertains to Delta - and they make clear that there is insufficient data available at this time to properly determine this:

Fact Check - Is Delta variant less deadly?

Scientific American - How dangerous is the Delta variant
Old 07-30-2021, 01:28 PM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
I keep up with the markets and the overall economy, there are many experts in the economy that believe that we are in a huge bubble and when it bursts it will not work out well for the public. What I find interesting is that our gov and the federal reserve downplay the concerns of an economic collapse and on the other hand a lot of economic professionals claim that true inflation rate is very high and the fed knows it and in essence cooking the books. Point being, you can either believe that the inflation rate is not all that high and transitory, or you can believe non-gov experts that say the opposite and that the more QE the gov prints the worse things are going to get.

I say the above as in part of the reasons why many people have less trust with what we are being told, and in this case vaccines and masks. Do masks and vaccines really work? Did all the masking ever stop covid or did covid continue on and mutate?

Did you know that in MA that lots of people are vaccinated and wear mask and did you know that 74% of the recent\current covid outbreak are occuring in fully vaccinated people? In addition to that 79% of the fully vaccinated who tested positive were\are symptomatic (not asymptomatic). So for me and I have read a lot on both sides, but it appears that there is a lot that is known that is not being told about covid and the economy. Interesting enough, this information came for a market website, a popular one at that.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cd...bnbh_mwarticle
CRV2 is offline   Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
They told my father plain and simple, as they were checking him into ICU a few weeks ago, that if he had not vaccinated, they would not be having a conversation - he would be dead.

I made it through delta without ever going to the hospital/doc office. Why? I was vaccinated.

Wife living with me in same house, in same bed, never caught delta. Why? She is vaccinated.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
They told my father plain and simple, as they were checking him into ICU a few weeks ago, that if he had not vaccinated, they would not be having a conversation - he would be dead.

I made it through delta without ever going to the hospital/doc office. Why? I was vaccinated.

Wife living with me in same house, in same bed, never caught delta. Why? She is vaccinated.
Mic drop.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #23

So if you’re not vaccinated because you refuse to be vaccinated for what ever the reason and you become infected do you believe you should be treated at the hospital? Asking for my wife who wears a mask and gown for most of her 10 hour shift working to save the lives of the unvaccinated
Funengineer is offline   Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll say it and probably get banned but it needs to be said if we are going to discuss covid on this forum.

IF THE GOVERNMENT WAS SERIOUS ABOUT COVID. THEY WOULD CLOSE THE SOUTHERN BOARDER. AND STOP LETTING ALL THE NON VACCINATED COVID SPREADING ILLEGALS IN. OVER 1.2 MILLION AND COUNTING. So don't go yelling at your neighbor for not being vaccinated or wearing a mask while this injustice is taking place.

There I said it. It's been nice sharing and helping people on here. But I have drawn a line in the sand. And will not wear mask or be told what to do until this happens. So if the powers to be want to ban me from here they can. It will just further inforce my thoughts on this subject. That we can no longer voice the truth in this country. And no longer hear the truth from our government.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
So if you’re not vaccinated because you refuse to be vaccinated for what ever the reason and you become infected do you believe you should be treated at the hospital? Asking for my wife who wears a mask and gown for most of her 10 hour shift working to save the lives of the unvaccinated
If you don’t wear your seat belt and get into a car accident, should you be treated in a hospital? If you eat fast food, and get diabetes or have a heart attack should you be treated in a hospital? If you swim at a beach with no lifeguard and drown, should you be treated in a hospital? If your house catches on fire but you didn’t change the batteries in your smoke detector and you get burned, should you be treated in a hospital?
Massparanoia is offline   Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #26

An awful lot of people seem to be looking for complete certainty, and unwilling to settle for less when it comes to vaccines and masks and other strategies the CDC advises.

To those people: This is a game of *statistics*, folks. The only way for us to all win is for enough of us to play the odds. Lowering the probability of fatality for those who get it and lowering the probability of transmission are what it's all about. Not certainty. There is no certainty at the individual level.

This is like running red lights. Just because you run one does not mean you'll have an accident (or cause one you're not involved in). It means the *probability* is higher. If you run a lot of them, sooner or later, the odds are than something bad will happen to you or others with whom you share the road.
n2zon is offline   Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
I'll say it and probably get banned but it needs to be said if we are going to discuss covid on this forum.

IF THE GOVERNMENT WAS SERIOUS ABOUT COVID. THEY WOULD CLOSE THE SOUTHERN BOARDER. AND STOP LETTING ALL THE NON VACCINATED COVID SPREADING ILLEGALS IN. OVER 1.2 MILLION AND COUNTING. So don't go yelling at your neighbor for not being vaccinated or wearing a mask while this injustice is taking place.

There I said it. It's been nice sharing and helping people on here. But I have drawn a line in the sand. And will not wear mask or be told what to do until this happens. So if the powers to be want to ban me from here they can. It will just further inforce my thoughts on this subject. That we can no longer voice the truth in this country. And no longer hear the truth from our government.
Yup there’s lots of mainstream news stories out there regarding this. It just takes a quick Google search, the mods won’t let you post the links though.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
An awful lot of people seem to be looking for complete certainty, and unwilling to settle for less when it comes to vaccines and masks and other strategies the CDC advises.

To those people: This is a game of *statistics*, folks. The only way for us to all win is for enough of us to play the odds. Lowering the probability of fatality for those who get it and lowering the probability of transmission are what it's all about. Not certainty. There is no certainty at the individual level.

This is like running red lights. Just because you run one does not mean you'll have an accident (or cause one you're not involved in). It means the *probability* is higher. If you run a lot of them, sooner or later, the odds are than something bad will happen to you or others with whom you share the road.
If I get the disease, I statistically have a 98% chance of survival, without any vaccines or masks or anything. I’ll take those odds.
Closed Thread