Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #253

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Sadly, when this is over it won't be remembered by the # of people who got sick and died. It will be about the impacts to the economy.

I know that sounds horrible. But not a person on this forum can give any stats from the last global pandemic without looking it up. Let alone even knowing what the last pandemic was.

We can easily remember economy crashes and talk half way intelligently about there impacts without reference.
This impact to economy will always be attributed to the death of 1,700+ and counting US citizens and the massive failures to proactively take adequate measures to shut down the country to allow Pandemic preparation to made in full.

The impact to economy after 9/11 was due to the vast number of otherwise people innocent people killed. Had it only been 10 people in total I do not think it would be what it is today nor had the same economic impact.

By contrast, I have no idea of what cause the 2000 collapse or some of the others short of just panic.

Also, be advised that the economy will NEVER recover as long as people are dying everyday from this virus. Even if people are told to go back to work. FWIW, I will not go back to work until the public health experts says it is all clear PERIOD. If I get fired so be it. I suspect I will not be the only one.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #254

Not all news is equal. If the programs have real scientists, economists, doctors, nurses, and a few politicians from both sides of the aisle, I am more accepting of what they offer. If they are only repeating a certain POV with no serious back up, I'm not wasting my time.

If the channels I watch or websites I visit explain what it is, how it works, why it spreads like it spreads, what to expect and why hospitals need to be geared up like never before, they have my attention. If they ask the politicians hard questions and don't accept talking points, then I will listen. If they are only repeating talking points, forget it.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
And the media only sensationalizes off the death portion. Not the droves & droves of folks that will get over it like the cold/flu.

I had it back in mid Dec.

Came on during my shift (fever, aches.pains, chills, fatigue) lasted 2 weeks. This was 3 weeks after haven had the flu shot (mandatory where I work) In fact, many have had it and didn't even know it was COVID.
Interesting. Some articles say the first reported case in China was 12/31, or after you claim to have had it. Other articles say it's been traced to 11/17. If it's the earlier date you would have had to come in contact with someone from China sometime in early December. You may have then unknowingly spread the virus before you had symptoms. Were you in the Seattle area at that time? Have you notified the health department? During the time you had symptoms were you self isolated? When were you tested?
Old 03-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
You had to literally shut the Cuomo interview off in mid-sentence to come away with that. What he said was we have enough ventilators for today. We will need an additional 30,000 in 3 weeks.

But Cuomo isn't the end-all of the issue. If we do not have a critical shortage of ventilators, why has general motors been compelled under the defense production act to manufacture them? Remember, the administration doesn't believe in this. The circumstances must be very extraordinary.
Yes, he did say that he will need 30k more ventilators, but his estimate is based on worse case scenario from faulty data provided by a professor in the UK, which has been refuted by Dr. Brix.
https://chochilino.com/lifestyle/202...awed-research/
Old 03-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Usa Corona cases are through the roof Canadas cases are relatively low . Is illegal immigration from Canada to the usa a big enough problem to deploy troops to the border?
I don't think many Canadians are trying to break out. They probably said that so it didn't look completely like they were picking on the southern border. An invasion from Canada is done annually. Our military drive large houses on wheels. They are disguised as senior citizens. They spy for information during cards, golf, and pickleball. They return home each summer to report what they found, and plan for the next invasion.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Not all news is equal. If the programs have real scientists, economists, doctors, nurses, and a few politicians from both sides of the aisle, I am more accepting of what they offer. If they are only repeating a certain POV with no serious back up, I'm not wasting my time. ...
What you're describing here are not "news", these are news-like entertainment shows.

When I think of news, I think of the anchor sitting behind the desk telling us the facts and figures of what happened. They did interviews with people who had first-hand knowledge, and they stuck to the facts. I miss those days.

There are still a few actual "news" shows on the major cable TV news stations. I will watch one or two hosts on each of the networks, the ones that seem to stick to the news.

The rest of the day, the rest of the shows, the rest of the "journalists" are really there to build ratings and for entertainment purposes. Having 4-5 grown adults sitting around a table or couch giggling and mocking people is not news, no matter who does it and who is getting mocked. I hoped that when I left middle school I wouldn't have to deal with that kind of thing again, but apparently those are the people who get most of the jobs on the various networks.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
Old 03-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
Well said.

Obviously you don’t believe in math. You can ignore everything he says, and just look at the math. Whether you want to believe it or not, the math is correct.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #260

Triple E Owners Club
It’s Respiratory Therapists or RCPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Cuomo may get the 30,000 ventilators he requested but he doesn't have 30,000 more nurses or beds to operate them.

My Daughter is registered as a nurse in NY, although living and working in Florda. They called on her to see if she was available.
Nurses do not operate ventilators. Ventilators are complex pieces of life support that require extensive knowledge of physics, pulmonary anatomy, physiology and chemistry.

My wife is a nurse. I love nurses. But they do not have adequate knowledge to do much more than to vary FiO2.

I’m a retired Registered Respiratory Therapist with 42 years of clinical, ICU and management experience. I could competently (in dire circumstances) run 8-10 ventilators over a 12 hour shift in our ICU. Those were not patients who all required PPE. My 12 hour shift rota was 2Days, 2Nights, 5 Off.

This virus will require the USA’s 150,000 RRTs to work around the clock with few days off. They won’t be going home to sleep or rest for obvious reasons. There will be burnout amongst all medical, nursing and therapy staff.

I personally wonder about whether there will be enough sedation and paralytics to go around to facilitate mechanical ventilation. And, of course, PPE.

Take this seriously folks.. This is going to be a long fight.

Pay attention only to your local medical health officer and the CDC. They have the expertise.

Good luck. Wash you hands. Learn to do so. Plenty of videos on the subject.

DJ
Old 03-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #261

Have you seen the Doc at the U of MN that is building homemade ventilators for less than $100?
Clever.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...er-ventilator/
Old 03-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #262

As far as ventilators go, I'll bet that very few iRV2 members remember the polio epidemic from the 1950s... If you want to see the inventivness that was around then then google the "Emergency Wooden Ventilator" article in the January 1952 Popular Mechanics magazine (the magazine is on the web). Back then the common term for ventilator was "iron lung". The "wooden lung" even made it to the web in this free ebook... www.spearfishlaketales.com/40fk/fk.htm ...one of about 60 fictional ebooks that Wes Boyd wrote before he passed away.

But back to Covid...

Please click and read...
https: // www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/

and...

https: // www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/america-learn-new-york/608875/

Both are well researched and worth reading. I found them courtesy of an
acquaintance... who also said:

> Covid19 cases have increased exponentially since March 2nd, with a
> doubling time of about 2.6 days. The effects of recent spread reduction
> measures ("social distancing") may not be apparent for a week, maybe
> two, given the approximately 5 to 10 day incubation period.

He also said:
> The text below is from the Los Angeles Times newspaper seven days ago: (the
> last paragraph is the zinger - all reported numbers will be inaccurate!
> The first paragraph is also important. And the attached image file (the graph)
> is telling... and note that the vertical of the graph is not linear but exponential...

>> Los Angeles County health officials advised doctors to give up on testing patients in the
>> hope of containing the coronavirus outbreak, instructing them to test patients only if a
>> positive result could change how they would be treated.
>>
>> The guidance, sent by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health to doctors on
>> Thursday, was prompted by a crush of patients and shortage of tests, and could make it
>> difficult to ever know precisely how many people in L.A. County contracted the virus.
>
>> The department “is shifting from a strategy of case containment to slowing disease
>> transmission and averting excess morbidity and mortality,” according to the letter.
>> Doctors should test symptomatic patients only when “a diagnostic result will change
>> clinical management or inform public health response.”
>
>> The guidance sets in writing what has been a reality all along. The shortage of tests
>> nationwide has meant that many patients suspected of having COVID-19 have not
>> had the diagnosis confirmed by a laboratory.
>>
>> In addition to the lack of tests, public health agencies across the country lack
>> the staff to trace the source of new cases, drastically reducing the chances of isolating
>> people who have been exposed and thereby containing the outbreak.
>
>> For years, state and local health officials have been warning that steep cuts to federal
>> grants meant to boost preparedness for a pandemic would mean there wouldn’t be enough
>> equipment and staff on hand to respond in the crucial, early stage. Those fears have come
>> to fruition now, officials said.
>
>> A front-line healthcare provider who was not authorized to speak to the media and requested
>> anonymity said county doctors are interpreting Thursday’s letter and other advice coming
>> from senior L.A. County public health officials to mean they should only test patients
>> who are going to be hospitalized or have something unique about the way they contracted
>> the virus.
>>
>> They are not planning to test patients who have the symptoms but are otherwise healthy
>> enough to be sent home to self-quarantine — meaning they may never show up in official
>> tallies of people who tested positive.

Comment: You can't develop proper response methods unless you know the size of the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	covid-deaths-2020-03-27.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	279502  
Old 03-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #263

Here at UW-Valley the criteria for testing:

1. Fever

2. Cough

3. SOB

All others are told go home (no test).

This hospital has loaded itself down with bureaucracy to the point where they cannot even make a simple decision on visitation.

Instead it changes at times hourly or even daily.

Currently:

No droplet patients can have visitor/s

All other patients are allowed (1) with no switching with other/s. They are also NOT provided a mask.

Birthing center is allowed (2).

I have repeatedly messaged management that the policy needs to be 'Zero visitation'. And certainly no one should be allowed to visit without a mask in treatment area/s.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #264

This virus is also bring the worse out of some people: My daughter in a west suburb of Chicago related that a close friend, a pharmacist, has Covid-19 and has been getting hate messages/ put downs from neighbors in their subdivision on "how could she dare bring this home to "their" community?". This is so wrong to condemn her for so many reasons, do they think she just woke up that morning and said "Gee, I think I just want to get sick today of a deadly disease while working on the front line of health care and then intentionally spread it around while I'm quarantining and trying to recover and hopefully not infect my family."

So many people only worry about themselves and not the common good, especially some politicians.
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
Old 03-29-2020, 06:55 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
Here at UW-Valley the criteria for testing:

1. Fever

2. Cough

3. SOB

All others are told go home (no test).
*snip*
#3 seems to be quite inclusive.

'SOB' is a medical term of some sort?
Old 03-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #266