Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #1

Covid worries

We have been staying at home due to the virus but have a 2 month trip planned for Aug. and Sept. but DW is worried about leaving. What are the rest of you doing about upcoming trips? She doesn't drive and is afraid I might get sick and can't move. Need help deciding. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where are you going and what do you plan on doing?

When you think of Social Distancing guidelines there's nothing that compares to RVing. We only have to interact with people as we desire and masking is always an option.

I haven't personally done a survey or rvers who have been infected with COVID-19 but since our famous drive by media outlets haven't said anything I lean toward there is little to nothing there.

HOWEVER - Happy wife is a Happy Life they say.

Enjoy life & Drive Safe - Richard
Old 07-11-2020, 07:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not anytime soon.

Prior to the pandemic I was getting all the filters etc for a full service and checked on tire prices. That came to a screeching halt.

A nephew in WI was suppose to get married next month, they have now delayed until next year.
We also live in TN which seems to be on the list of states with increases in cases and some states are requiring quarantine, not that I would travel to the NE anyway. But if it gets worse there may be more restrictions and you could be stuck somewhere.
So I feel safer at home, and I have enough to keep me busy. Started working on building an RV garage! I can camp in it when it's done.
jacwjames is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
We have been staying at home due to the virus but have a 2 month trip planned for Aug. and Sept. but DW is worried about leaving. What are the rest of you doing about upcoming trips? She doesn't drive and is afraid I might get sick and can't move. Need help deciding. Bill
It’s a tough decision for sure. We have a trip planned for August (Yellowstone & Glacier National) and we can’t wait to get out of the house for a change of scenery. My wife drives so that is not a concern for us. An RV trip, I think, is pretty much a safe vacation if you take the necessary precautions.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We just cancel reservations at Cades Cove, Lake Powhatan , Smokemont, and Davidson River. Each one a gem of a park. That is 8 weeks in prime parks.

We are full time RVers and have been for almost 5 years. We are hold up in a private park in North Georgia with full hookup.

The pros for going were a break from this place, bigger lot size providing better (safer social distancing), and the remote possibility of a nice hike. Remote because I'm not comfortable hiking on a trail with other hikers. If I see people on the trail I get off the trail.

The cons were COVID19 is rising, the campground don't have sewer (conserve water and frequent trip to the dump station), fueling, and the possibility of a breakdown or accident. All of these added up what we considered a greater risk of getting COVID19 than staying here.

It was not a happy decision.

Everybody is focused on the death rate of COVID19 but the long term effects are just starting to be understood. I don't just want to survive the pandemic, I want to survive it intact. For me it is a cost benefit equation and the costs include things like death , long term lung damage, and unknown other long term effects. The benefits, a relief from a little monotony.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #6

We are booked in Glacier, Black Hills and Colorado and have been there many times but always look forward to our travels.
taratiffin is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends on where and what you plan to do. We are currently West of Loveland Co. We don't eat out - We don't go shopping unless we need food - and we have a Jeep Rubicon and are exploring offroad trails. We don't go to popular sites on weekends to avoid the crowds. Nothing like social distancing on mountain trail next to lake at 9,000 feet with no one in site.
CWSWine is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #8

We are both essential (loosely) and working. We've been camping Memorial weekend Fourth of July etc. & where we can. We find it much easier to social distance camping than our every day lives. We don't use bathrooms at CG's and stopped going out to eat. If the RV parks can remain open we are camping.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #9

We are on a trip now from Northern California to Southern. Everything is normal except some of the parks facilities are closed and masks are worn indoors. Other than that, party as usual.
Jake21 is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
laj

just got back from one trip, no issues. In sept doing glacier without a second thought. one should do what they think best.

After all if you do get it your in it all by yourself. I choose to live while i’m alive.
laj is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At the end of the day, it becomes a personal choice. To me; I view the masses as making decisions based on common sense, abundance of precaution, or politically motivated your choice as the outcome is the same; or as freedom to do whatever I want, rebellious, or politically motivated also your choice.

My take from reading in between your lines is that you may have already made a decision based on your precedence; which tends to suggest to not go... out of an abundance of precaution.

Our last camp ground trip was February. Since then we have only traveled in RV where we had stays of less that 5 days and we only stopped to get gas. My wife would never EXIT the RV until we were at a safe destination. We never go inside any of the convenience or highway stores. I use my own vinyl or nitrile gloves to pump gas and discard after each use. Note I was constantly harassed on this site for buying those gloves and masks at Harbor Freight last March

Whatever you do, the goal is to be safe and pray that a vaccine or cure is available sooner than later.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - We have been full time for 9 years so we have been out on the road for the entire duration of this issue. The RV is likely the safest place you can be and the safest form of travel. The issue is what you do once you reach your destination. Stay out of crowds, avoid close contact with people, wash your hands often and give the other guy a break by wearing a mask. We limit shopping to once every 2 weeks and WalMart is still doing their senior shopping hour on Tuesdays in most areas.

Going to tourist areas is something we would not attempt as the risk is too high so while we are safe it has not been a time of great excitement. But if we had a sticks and bricks it would be the same.

We do mostly COE parks as the sites are much larger than commercial parks and during the week the campgrounds are sparsely populated.

Tom
Old 07-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Covid worries

What is the average length of ur stay at the COE parks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - We have been full time for 9 years so we have been out on the road for the entire duration of this issue. The RV is likely the safest place you can be and the safest form of travel. The issue is what you do once you reach your destination. Stay out of crowds, avoid close contact with people, wash your hands often and give the other guy a break by wearing a mask. We limit shopping to once every 2 weeks and WalMart is still doing their senior shopping hour on Tuesdays in most areas.

Going to tourist areas is something we would not attempt as the risk is too high so while we are safe it has not been a time of great excitement. But if we had a sticks and bricks it would be the same.

We do mostly COE parks as the sites are much larger than commercial parks and during the week the campgrounds are sparsely populated.

Tom
JC2 is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Well it sounds like you have time to teach her to drive the rig. It is a good idea anyway. You can always have a problem that would keep you from driving Covid or not.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread