Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I have to laugh at this statement as Ray is not the first to state this. It was quoted by a couple in my neighborhood interviewed on the news the other night after the new rules went into effect and they do not qualify. "We spend over $10,000 during the four months we spend each year in Florida"

They should see how much it cost after every hurricane we go though. I can honestly say $10,000 for 4 months is nothing. My property insurance on 2 properties exceed that annually and the taxes are even more. FL is not a cheap state to live in by any means. The saying here, "that's the cost to live in sunshine". It is one of the major reason residents complained about not being able to get vaccines, they pay it 12 months a year.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #16

Here's an article on the subject. There are many more if you do a Google.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida...ds-11610620200
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #17
NXR

And it's "interesting" that Florida issued this press release precisely one day before they restricted the vaccine to residents: https://www.flgov.com/2021/01/20/flo...irst-approach/

Tallahassee, Fla. – Today, Governor Ron DeSantis highlighted Florida’s strong momentum on vaccinating seniors age 65 and older. Since the beginning of the public health emergency, Governor DeSantis has put Florida’s Seniors First.

Florida was the first state in the nation to vaccinate more than 500,000 individuals 65 years of age or older and is one of only three states to administer vaccines to more than one million people. According to publicly available age demographic data, Florida continues to have the highest percentage of vaccines administered to seniors 65 and older, with vaccinations in that age bracket accounting for nearly 65% of total vaccinations in the state. Due to delays in reporting, this number may not reflect all vaccines administered to date.

“Florida remains steadfast in our commitment to putting Seniors First and the numbers speak for themselves,” said Governor DeSantis. “Out of total vaccines administered in our state, nearly 65% have gone to our seniors. As we deploy vaccines we will continue to harness innovative strategies and partnerships to maximize distribution and availability to keep Seniors First.”

Timing indeed is everything, especially where "optics" are concerned.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FL.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	315629  
Old 01-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here's an article on the subject. There are many more if you do a Google.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida...ds-11610620200
Good post. I read this one that allowed me to read the entire article. I had no doubt that wealthy and influential people were paying or had pull to get vaccinated. If someone will spend $25,000 to $80,000 to get here for one day, no doubt they took a Florida residents vaccine. If you pay enough to a hospital, anything is possible.
https://www.webull.com/news/28672017
Old 01-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #19
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I have to laugh at this statement as Ray is not the first to state this. It was quoted by a couple in my neighborhood interviewed on the news the other night after the new rules went into effect and they do not qualify. "We spend over $10,000 during the four months we spend each year in Florida"

They should see how much it cost after every hurricane we go though. I can honestly say $10,000 for 4 months is nothing. My property insurance on 2 properties exceed that annually and the taxes are even more. FL is not a cheap state to live in by any means. The saying here, "that's the cost to live in sunshine". It is one of the major reason residents complained about not being able to get vaccines, they pay it 12 months a year.
Very true, however from my perspective full-time Florida residents are the ones who chose to live here all year. I incur my own set of unique costs from having my home where it is.

In addition, federal taxpayers are paying for the vaccine itself. Medicare, which presumably almost all 65+ recipients are on, is paying $45.33 per two-dose vaccine administration.

So in addition to receiving the vaccine itself for free, Florida entities, so far, are entitled to over $45 million dollars in Medicare reimbursements: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/covid-1...20the%20series.

That referenced WSJ article even differentiates from people flying in to get a vaccine versus longer-term people:

Mr. DeSantis has made a distinction between people who own second homes in Florida and reside part-time in the state, and people who fly in and stay only briefly to get vaccinated.

“If they have a residence and they’re not just kind of flying by night for a week or two, I’m totally fine with that,” he said last week. “That’s a little bit different than somebody that’s just doing tourism and trying to come here. So we’re discouraging people to come to Florida just to get a vaccine.”

Hey, my sister lives in Ft. Myers. I wonder if I could get her to write me a letter?

Ray
Old 01-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #20
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The residency makes sense since the states are getting allocations depending on their population. Added travelers takes away from the residents.
Apparently that is about to change from an article dated Jan. 19, 2021: https://www.verywellhealth.com/covid...states-5095755

Key Takeaways
The United States government is changing the way it allocates COVID-19 vaccine doses to states. Instead of basing allocation on adult population, allocation will be based on the population of those 65 and older in each state, and the government will prioritize states with faster rollouts.

The government has also urged states to expand the rollout to include those 65 and older and people with underlying health conditions—even if states have not completed vaccinating those in earlier categories.

But apparently this was a Trump administration change so all bets are off as to what will now happen.

In any event, it does not change this discussion. Hopefully in a year this all will just be old news.

Ray
Old 01-24-2021, 05:13 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Ray, I understand the non residents statements. It was first decided that any US resident was eligible. However, the vaccines are being administer on FL tax payers real estate, by FL tax health depts, etc and it was being abused. By what I just learned, people from other nations as well. This can go on and on about who should be able to get a vaccine and where. The easy solution is a person qualifies, at what location Federal Taxes are claimed as domicile. That would end any arguments of who, what and where funds and allocations of vaccines are coming from.

My opinion on this forum is of little value. It is other citizen complaining loudly to the health departments and Governors office that are getting rules changed. Could they be changed again? possibly.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:46 PM   #22
NXR

Quote:
Ray, I understand the non residents statements. It was first decided that any US resident was eligible. However, the vaccines are being administer on FL tax payers real estate, by FL tax health depts, etc and it was being abused. By what I just learned, people from other nations as well. This can go on and on about who should be able to get a vaccine and where. The easy solution is a person qualifies, at what location Federal Taxes are claimed as domicile. That would end any arguments of who, what and where funds and allocations of vaccines are coming from.

My opinion on this forum is of little value. It is other citizen complaining loudly to the health departments and Governors office that are getting rules changed. Could they be changed again? possibly.
Yup, agreed.

Ray
Old 01-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Florida COVID Vaccine

My wife and I are retired and moved to Florida a couple of years ago. The COVID vaccine roll out could have gone much better. Each county has it's own system and they keep changing the rules and the systems constantly. I heard today that only half of the vaccines have been administered. At first non residents could get a vaccination. Residents didn't like it and I guess that is why they changed it.

We are lucky and can stay home. I go out to walk the dogs and that is about it.
Wishing you luck, Stay safe and wear a mask is the best advice I can give.
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Votes

In Florida and with DeSantis a lot depends if you vote or not and how you vote!

That is why it is 65 and older and teachers are not considered front line workers.

I am trying to get a shot thru the VA. They require 75 and older or other issues that make you vulnerable.

I hope everyone gets a shot as quick as they can get them out. Florida is holding back half the shots for the second shot rather than depend on future production. I don't know about other states but in Florida the vaccine roll out is upsetting a lot of people waiting in lines to not get a shot or trying to call and not being able to get an appointment.

I am hoping after the J&J and Astra Zeneca to get approves soon. Hopefully this mess will end soon. I want to drive to Alaska!
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuckwalter View Post
In Florida and with DeSantis a lot depends if you vote or not and how you vote!

That is why it is 65 and older and teachers are not considered front line workers.

I am trying to get a shot thru the VA. They require 75 and older or other issues that make you vulnerable.

I hope everyone gets a shot as quick as they can get them out. Florida is holding back half the shots for the second shot rather than depend on future production. I don't know about other states but in Florida the vaccine roll out is upsetting a lot of people waiting in lines to not get a shot or trying to call and not being able to get an appointment.

I am hoping after the J&J and Astra Zeneca to get approves soon. Hopefully this mess will end soon. I want to drive to Alaska!
Ladies and gentlemen, submitted for your approval - a man in Florida, wrestling with an alligator of a pandemic, wishing for the cooler climes of... the Alaska Zone.

So... how to not be political...

It's optics mixing with biology mixing with the sense of ownership that comes with being a citizen of a community, state, or nation.

In the sense of biology, what probably matters most is how soon the most vulnerable to serious disease/complications, and those most likely to be exposed and transmit further, can receive their shots. Follow with mass inoculations of any and all who show up. That requires planning, logistics and infrastructure that works best when coordinated, and... well...

For the governor, it's about the optics of "not our own" getting something that many card-carrying Floridians think should be offered first to them. Biology, which does not vote in elections, doesn't really care if you're from somewhere else but residents sense of ownership does care.

Florida isn't the only state to have difficulties and I hope they all get sorted out soon.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:14 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Perfect example of why the residency rule was put in place.
On Inside Edition last night showed a report of a young couple and there 1 year old child drove from San Diego CA, in their MH to get the Covid vaccine. Word spread in the Full Timers RV community that FL was open to everyone. They didn't even bother to check age requirements, but drove 2,800 miles to get in line.
Glad they finally put a stop to this non sense.

BTW, I did not make it in the residence vaccine lottery today either.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:17 PM   #27
NXR

Quote:
Perfect example of why the residency rule was put in place.
On Inside Edition last night showed a report of a young couple and there 1 year old child drove from San Diego CA, in their MH to get the Covid vaccine. Word spread in the Full Timers RV community that FL was open to everyone. They didn't even bother to check age requirements, but drove 2,800 miles to get in line.
Glad they finally put a stop to this non sense.

BTW, I did not make it in the residence vaccine lottery today either.
Amateurs. This Canadian CEO chartered a plane, flew himself and his wife to the Yukon, went to a town with 100 residents and claimed they worked at a local hotel and got the first shot.

And then he was forced to resign from his $10 million dollar a year job. But yeah, he's not really losing very much...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...28-million-in/

Ray
Old 01-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
FL residency needs to go one step further, but I doubt it will happen. It needs to be residents or seasonal residents by county not state wide.
Here is an example and it happening statewide, total organized chaos.

Marco Island FL, a small island community with a population of 17,000 had 200 vaccines allocated for the community. Withing second 41,000 people jammed the system tying to get what community residents should have had. https://www.winknews.com/2021/01/27/...ystem-crashes/

Talking to others in retirement communities, (friends of mine) they have phone and computer banks setup where they are trying all of the county and city vaccination sites statewide. A group of them scan the internet daily to find who, what and where will have sites, open, then the worker ants are called so they can target the sites.

It's crazy! and half of them will leave the state in a couple of months leaving people in those communities un-vaccinated. Maybe the Governor will wise up again, as the system is still broken. I feel sorry for community residents having that kind of greed placed on them. JMO

Tags
roof, florida