Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #29
Community Administrator

The Publix system was announced as a good thing as 90% of Seniors lived within a 1 1/2 miles of one. I know a few people in South Florida that got through only to be given an appointment in Ft Walton Beach ( an eight hour drive ). Not good.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 08:48 AM   #30

I have nothing but good to say about Publix's administration of the Covid vaccine in Florida.

Sure, there are more people qualified to get the vaccine than there are doses and/or appointments. So there WILL be a frustration factor.

But, the on-line signup worked well (I was able to sign up first day appointments opened, Dianne 3rd day).

Appointments are 10 minute apart-- no standing in a line with other un-vaccinated people who may or may not be social distancing and may or may not be wearing their mask properly. It is just YOU and a masked pharmacist.

YOU, not they choose a what county and then what store to go to. And, then what time window. I don't understand how someone would choose a distant store unless that was the only one with appointments available. That would be that individual's decision on whether to wait for a nearby appointment or drive.

And, when you reserve the appointment, both first and second dose appointments are automatically made.

Far better system than our counties procedure-- sign up by phone (you guessed it, Verizon and likely all other cell towers overwhelmed, so busy circuit or busy signal for half an hour then message on their website that all appointments have been filled). Then, if you do get an appointment, you go to a large parking lot and either walk or get on a bus and go to the vaccination station.

Then you have to make a separate appointment for the second dose.

Again, kudos to Publix.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:03 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Changes maybe coming in SW FL Just announced on the ABC evening news that we may go to a sign up system.

The phone and computer lottery system has turned into a fiasco for seniors that are technically challenged. Many retirement centers have formed phone and computer banks that are apparently dominating the systems. One I posted this morning of 200 doses available to to an Island community of 17,000 residents, but 41,000 calls made to claim the doses.

I hope that organized change is started soon and I really hope they register by counties to stop people from flooding from other areas. Vaccines are issued by population and should be administered the same way. 41,000 people should not be trying to take vaccines from smaller communities. The change is long over due.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #32

Do you know how easy it is to make a perfectly passable copy of a local utility bill with any address you choose on a good laser printer?

That's always been the main failing of any "prove residency with some commercial document" scheme.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Do you know how easy it is to make a perfectly passable copy of a local utility bill with any address you choose on a good laser printer?

That's always been the main failing of any "prove residency with some commercial document" scheme.
That is exactly why it needs to go to a registration system. To many people trying to scam the system. Going to a county registration system, easy enough to verify utility accounts, drivers licenses numbers, etc.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fill disclosure: I'm a seasonal resident of Florida, but have no FL drivers license. I spend 7 months of the year in Florida (more than I spend in my home state). I would be a Florida resident, but I would lose the excellent medical insurance plan I get in my other home state.

The fact that the state had 7 months to anticipate the problems and figure this out is kind of outrageous.

The most obvious thing that should have been done (and still should be done) is to restrict appointments to people who live in the county where the shot is being administered. It seems like a no-brainer to me. What's causing the ridiculous overwhelming of the systems is that people from the entire state (and beyond) are trying to apply everywhere. One county phone signup system had 187,000 callers in the first second the lines were open. It seems likely that the majority of those people did not live in the county.

The Publix website that does Florida appointments handles everyone in the state. If you manage to get through, you're presented with a list of counties in the state that still have appointments. People are driving hundreds of miles to get vaccinated and taking an appointment away from a local (who may also be driving to a distant location for an appointment). It's beyond absurd.

That said, Publix's system is better than the first attempt in Lee county where they told people to just line up outside the vaccination centers. I have some serious medical issues, so a case of COVID-19 is probably a death sentence for me. I was there at about 4 am. There were already over a thousand elderly people in line on a very cold night waiting for 400 doses of the vaccine. Some had been there since 11 pm the night before and were in line for up to 12 hours before getting their shots, not to mention the ones who got no shot at all.

On the issue of snowbirds, people in Florida, understandably, have a love/hate relationship with us. They hate having us jamming up traffic and filling the restaurants, but most of them know that without us, the Florida economy (which is not too healthy to begin with) would collapse, and there would be serious talk of an income tax. We have other places we could go for the winter, and we will if Florida makes it clear that we're not welcome here.

I would also remind Florida politicians that although we can't vote for them, we can definitely contribute money to their opponents. I've done so in the past, and will again in the future.

Please keep in mind, too, that tales about hordes of people cheating any system are always wildly exaggerated. All it takes is a couple of stories about people flying down from the north, getting shots and flying home and people imagine that there are tens of thousands of cases like this when in fact there are probably only a handful. I seriously doubt that there are many people desperate for vaccinations who would risk four dangerous flights on commercial airlines to get a shot, and not that many people have their own planes and could afford money and time for the four trips.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:15 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
It has started. FL is registering people by county, thank God! Lets hope it continues and normalcy will come to getting a vaccine. https://myvaccine.fl.gov/

Non residents do have their home states to get inoculated in, which probably would not allow visiting FL residents to get vaccinated.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:24 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree completely. First try on the Publix system and I didn't get in. Wednesday I booked two appointments for Thursday at a Publix 3 miles from my home. Went to the store, check in, and was vaccinated in a few minutes. No lines, no fuss. Biggest wait was the 10 or 15 minutes after vaccination to make sure there was no reaction. Wednesday's version of the web site was improved with autorefresh and a live count down timer. Frankly I was surprised that their servers handled the load with no issues. Automatically booked the second dose appointment from the first.

One peice of advice is that I used both a phone and a desktop computer simultaneously. Got both reservations on the phone and the computer didn't even get past the front door waiting page. Perhaps their mboile site has more capacity than their desktop site but running both is a good strategy.

They have only used 50% of their vaccine allotment since they reserve the other half for the second dose.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 04:40 AM   #37

The Dept of Health in our county finally found a good location to give vaccinations - they rented out an empty store in an empty mall that is central to the whole county and on the bus route (Sarasota Square Mall). I got my 2nd dose there yesterday - they had 14 people giving shots. It took longer to get to the store inside the mall (I got to the door and realized I left my mask in the truck - UGHHH - and had to go back and get it). Once I got to the store I was in and done in about 5 mins + the 15 min wait time after the shot. They can quickly pump out as many doses as they have. Remember to bring your pre filled out consent form to speed you through the process.
Publix in our area are not giving shots (yet?).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 05:03 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Just finished for the 3rd time the 0600 Publix Computer lottery. Sorry to say with 3 computers going, I still have not been one of the fortunate ones to get selected. It is a nice system, but not 100% for those that are in a high need category. Congratulation to those that have gotten through.

Really hoping the county sign up system is successful for all involved.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:12 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
The Dept of Health in our county finally found a good location to give vaccinations - they rented out an empty store in an empty mall that is central to the whole county and on the bus route (Sarasota Square Mall). I got my 2nd dose there yesterday - they had 14 people giving shots. It took longer to get to the store inside the mall (I got to the door and realized I left my mask in the truck - UGHHH - and had to go back and get it). Once I got to the store I was in and done in about 5 mins + the 15 min wait time after the shot. They can quickly pump out as many doses as they have. Remember to bring your pre filled out consent form to speed you through the process.
Publix in our area are not giving shots (yet?).

I talked to a friend of mine in Sarasota that told me they were doing County signups. Is that how you got your appointment? If so, that does seem the best way to go. It sure beats the 0600 Publix computer lottery. Just received text from 3 friends, none of us hit the Publix Sweepstakes with multiple devises going this morning.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:00 AM   #40
Community Administrator

There’s eight million stories in the naked city ( for those that remember the TV show Naked City ). This thread could very well be titled there’s four million stories in Florida , this has been one of them. Seems like there’s various results in different Counties. YMMV.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 06:39 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
There’s eight million stories in the naked city ( for those that remember the TV show Naked City ). This thread could very well be titled there’s four million stories in Florida , this has been one of them. Seems like there’s various results in different Counties. YMMV.
Cliff, that was the reason I asked the person in Sarasora if the County signup was what worked for him. Most of my posts I have attached news links for accuracy. I was trying to see if County signup may work, because the Lottery System has not been successful for myself, neighbors or friends in Lee and Charlotte County.

Sarasota County does not have the County Phone Lottery that Lee County does, nor are they in the Publix Computer Lottery with local stores. Both of which are so over loaded it isn't even funny. But a Sarasota resident was able to get vaccinated and my friend on the waiting list. That is closer than I have gotten in a month, until last night when Lee County started Beta Testing a signup system.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:59 AM   #42

Here is the most current list of Publix Vaccination sites in Florida (as of 1/21/21):

https://www.publix.com/covid-vaccine...store-list.pdf

Tags
roof, florida