Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
NXR

Florida now requires proof of residency to receive COVID-19 vaccine as of Jan. 20th.

https://www.wftv.com/news/florida/st...HA7X2ZWDEZJMM/

Part-time or full-time residency but not domiciled in Florida, apparently. A lease, a Florida government ID, a utility bill, the proof required is all over the place. Some articles say only at "government-run" sites, which may mean that the Publix grocery chain may not require it.

Some people here who pay for Internet access from the local cable company figure they can use that as their utility bill. Who knows?

Yet another mess on the horizon. One county required appointments by phone. You can guess how that went. The county said they had 1,000 people waiting to take calls. When the time came, they had 35,000 calls per second. Perhaps their tech people never heard of this newfangled feature on phones called "Redial".

If you already had your first shot, you are exempt from the residency requirement.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
https://www.wftv.com/news/florida/st...HA7X2ZWDEZJMM/

Part-time or full-time residency but not domiciled in Florida, apparently. A lease, a Florida government ID, a utility bill, the proof required is all over the place. Some articles say only at "government-run" sites, which may mean that the Publix grocery chain may not require it.

Some people here who pay for Internet access from the local cable company figure they can use that as their utility bill. Who knows?

Yet another mess on the horizon. One county required appointments by phone. You can guess how that went. The county said they had 1,000 people waiting to take calls. When the time came, they had 35,000 calls per second. Perhaps their tech people never heard of this newfangled feature on phones called "Redial".

If you already had your first shot, you are exempt from the residency requirement.

Ray
Redialers are responsible for clogging phone lines if there is any kind of phone tree or recorded greeting... after about 15 seconds of no caller voice, the called number hangs up.

A number of folks who've had problems getting their state unemployment dept on the phone have been using redialers and do not know when their calls were answered and subsequently dropped. Redialers work best when calling numbers directly answered by people.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:57 AM   #3

Publix changed the info on their vaccine page where you have to provide proof of residency. I live just across the border into Alabama and I was planning on trying to get a shot there, but I can't now. I am 69 and Florida age restriction is 65 and up. Alabama is still following the 75 and up age restriction.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2021, 05:52 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Here are the Guide Lines on residence requirements for FL. This was posted on different sign up sites and news outlets. FL just not have enough vaccines for the entire county, This is a copy and paste from Publix site.
  1. Valid Florida driver license issued by Florida State Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV).
    OR
  2. Valid Florida identification card issued by Florida State Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV).
    OR
  3. If a customer cannot present #1 or #2, the customer can prove satisfactory Florida residency by presenting a copy of any two of the following items if they reflect a Florida residential address (Note: A P.O. box or commercial/business address is not sufficient and the two items cannot be from the same category):
    • Category A: a deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet, OR residential rental or lease agreement
    • Category B: a utility hookup or utility work order dated within 60 days before the date of vaccination
    • Category C: a utility bill dated within two months of the date of vaccination
    • Category D: mail from a financial institution, including checking, savings, or investment account statements, dated within two months of the date of vaccination
    • Category E: mail from a federal, state, county, or municipal government agency, dated within two months of the date of vaccination
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
NXR

This has to be the most Florida rule ever:

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/wp-...ccinations.pdf

1) a resident of the State of Florida able to demonstrate residency consistent with the criteria set forth in 381.986(5)(b) Fla. Stat.

What is FL 381.986(5)(b)?

381.986 Medical use of marijuana

(5) MEDICAL MARIJUANA USE REGISTRY

(b) The department shall determine whether an individual is a resident of this state for the purpose of registration of qualified patients and caregivers in the medical marijuana use registry. To prove residency:

1. An adult resident must provide the department with a copy of his or her valid Florida driver license issued under s. 322.18 or a copy of a valid Florida identification card issued under s. 322.051.

2. An adult seasonal resident who cannot meet the requirements of subparagraph 1. may provide the department with a copy of two of the following that show proof of residential address:

a. A deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental or lease agreement.

b. One proof of residential address from the seasonal resident’s parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the seasonal resident resides and a statement from the person with whom the seasonal resident resides stating that the seasonal resident does reside with him or her.

c. A utility hookup or work order dated within 60 days before registration in the medical use registry.

d. A utility bill, not more than 2 months old.

e. Mail from a financial institution, including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than 2 months old.

f. Mail from a federal, state, county, or municipal government agency, not more than 2 months old.

g. Any other documentation that provides proof of residential address as determined by department rule.

Yeah, they're using a marijuana law as the basis for proving Florida residency for COVID shots.

"G" seems to be the loophole. We just heard on the news that if a resident provides a letter attesting that a non-resident lives with them, then that will provide proof sufficient to get vaccinated.

There was no mention of notarization nor of a requirement to state how long the non-resident has lived with the Florida resident. But I'll bet that everyone of those letters will be turned over to the Florida taxation and vehicle registration authorities.

Ray
Old 01-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #6

The residency makes sense since the states are getting allocations depending on their population. Added travelers takes away from the residents.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2021, 10:48 PM   #7

vaccine tourism

Last Sunday's CBS morning show told of rich people from Africa and Southeast Asia paying up to $30,000 to fly to Flordia and stay until they received their 2nd free shot, then flying back home.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2021, 05:24 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
The residents of Fl, which I am one, are the ones the pushed the Governor to make the residents only rule. At first he said it was federal vaccine and all US citizen would be eligible. People came when the word spread from across the nation, now I see posted, from around the world. It had to stop!!
Residents flooded phone lines and emails to News outlets, County and State Dept of Health and the Governors Office. Vaccines are issued by state, not for the entire country. The Governor finally agreed we cannot vaccine the entire nation.
In one day, 41,000 non residents got vaccines, in one area, 3,000 more than residents. The residents of FL are mad, Are we going to be stuck at home all summer because greedy people are coming in from all over the world taking the FL allocated vaccines? Now resident requirements are going to be enforced and look for FL residents to help. As mad as they are, look for them to rat their neighbors out. If people want a shot, spend a full summer here or get your shot where you do is the attitude of the locals.

It has been on the news that people are trying to scam the system and are being denied. Sorry, a 3 month seasonal rental and they just came in after Christmas, should not give a person priority over someone that lives in the stated full time. A full time resident is counted on the census as this is the place of residency and how vaccines are being distributed. If getting a shot is that important, place of claimed residency has to be considered. If the system scamming continues, I look for residents to go on a FL drivers license only, phone and email campaign.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

It's amazing how far people will go to take advantage of someone else, aka Scamming. I'm all for having to show a FL drivers license to get vaccinated. I heard a person saying they have been flying into FL from NY to visit family, every 6 weeks - so much for stay at home orders, they are also the ones taking advantage of our vaccination policy.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Vaccines are issued by state, not for the entire country. The Governor finally agreed we cannot vaccine the entire nation.
In one day, 41,000 non residents got vaccines, in one area, 3,000 more than residents. The residents of FL are mad, Are we going to be stuck at home all summer because greedy people are coming in from all over the world taking the FL allocated vaccines?
From today's RV Travel newsletter found at https://www.rvtravel.com/rvt-984b/

While some year-round Floridians have cried out in alarm that snowbirds to the Sunshine State could ace them out for COVID-19 vaccines, a new report seems to indicate otherwise. A report by the state’s health department on January 13 indicates that of all the 774,768 vaccinations given, only 29,510 were given to non-Florida residents – less than 4% of the total of those getting the jabs. That hasn’t quieted the disturbed masses, evidently. Speaking to non-Floridians, “We’re first. Get to the end of the line if they want to come,” Florida resident Judy Allen told a local NBC TV station on Friday at a vaccine clinic in Sanford, Florida, north of Orlando.

Not to mention that the federal government is paying for the vaccines, not the states, but we won't go there...

I wonder what the real story is.

Even based on the Florida resident population versus the snowbird population, which is very diminished this year, I doubt there is any way the number of snowbirds getting vaccinated outnumber the residents. Anywhere. It's simply not plausible, in my opinion.

Florida has a population of 21.5 million, of which 20% are 65 or over. That's 4.5 million Florida residents aged 65 or older.

Most studies seem to peg the Florida snowbird population at around 1 million in a normal season. While this is not a normal season, let's say that the snowbirds still account for 1 in four of the 65-and-over population, even though a half-million Canadians are missing.

Yet more snowbirds are getting vaccinated than residents? Sorry, that's simply not plausible.

More likely the difficulty is the total incompetency of the Florida distribution system.

Lee County doing it by phone and proudly announcing they had 1,000 people standing by for phone calls? And later the county manager admitting they had 35,000 calls PER SECOND?

Other counties doing it first come-first serve? WTH? Old people were camping out almost 24 hours in advance at the vaccination sites. What did they think was going to happen?

And using Eventbrite for online registrations, a system that has been known for years to be incapable of handling large events and is usually suited for webinars and small conferences? And that has been susceptible to "bots" doing automated sign-ups?

But don't worry. Governor DeSantis proudly trotted out an old veteran and proclaimed him as the one millionth recipient of the vaccine! Uhh, until his own health department said they actually were at 850,000...

And with Florida's middle-class income pegged as $26,000 a year, well, we spend over $10,000 during the four months we spend each year in Florida. If we were here for a full year, we would be spending more after-tax income than the average middle class Floridian makes in a year before taxes. Isn't there some old saying about not biting the hand that feeds you?

Lies, damn lies, and statistics are well in play. Just another day in the neighborhood.

Oh, and while I am age-eligible although my wife is not, we're both former healthcare providers. We decided we would wait until we get back home in three months so the older population here, snowbird or otherwise, would have a better chance. I know, just one person, but everyone is just one person.

Ray
Old 01-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Ray, in response to your post and it is not meant to be personal in anyway.

It depends on what news source a person reads and wants to believe. Me personally, and I live here full time, I believe my local news source. They are doing in field reporting locally. If they slant towards the residents.....good for them.

The post is about FL residency and I fully agree with the new rules no matter what other of state publications say. It was people from other areas pushing the system that got the rules changed, hopefully for the best for FL residents.

If the "you owe us" additude starts, maybe the Governor will change it to FL drivers licenses only.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
NXR

I always thought it odd that it was not residents-only from the beginning.

But in thinking it over, there is a sizeable long-term non-resident at-risk population here that could just as easily overwhelm the local health systems as well as the residents could. I figured that was what DeSantis was trying to prevent. It made sense that way.

For us, we looked at the county-by-county statistics and the non-residents versus residents infection rate before deciding what we were going to do this winter.

Presuming the data is accurate, non-residents account for an astoundingly small percentage of the total infections. Our worst odds at infection were close to 1 in 2,600 (non-resident infections versus the total county population).

And then the new mutations that are supposedly more contagious and maybe more deadly popped up to skew that calculation but we were already here.

It's not so much as a "you owe us" that I fear as it is an "us versus them". There's a bit too much of that going on nowadays for me.

Anyway, this is a good discussion and thanks to all for keeping it civil and on-topic.

Ray
Old 01-24-2021, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The residency makes sense since the states are getting allocations depending on their population. Added travelers takes away from the residents.
I agree,
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #14

I have lived my entire life here in Sarasota, which happens to have the best beach in the world, which attracts people from all over the states and world.
Most "residents" in FL came from the north - most move down and try to slam the door behind them so other people won't use the frail resources we have.
We, as residents have always winced as we saw Snow Bird season arriving - twice as much traffic, people not knowing how to drive (the way we do) AND the inability to camp in our own state during this time. So my focus now is on my inability to camp. We have learned to tolerate this time of each year but are much happier when April arrives.
Do I like the people I meet from the north (everyone is from the north with few exceptions) - sure. We just don't like the inconvenience the influx of people brings. 1,000 people move into FL permanently a day, so we have that problem also.
That being said, yes, businesses appreciate/depend on the influx of money from the snow birds. Since a camper is not paying a Hotel tax, it saves them money (locals pay the same rate to camp unless there is something going on I don't remember), which they can spend in the community. So we're used to the Snowbird phenomenon.
Now add the vaccine scammers to this tolerance and now you see why we are sounding off.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
roof, florida