Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Future of RVing

Wife and I have been considering full-time rving, but with all that's going on we are having 2nd thoughts. Here are a couple concerns: 1) What impact is covid going to have on crossing state lines and availability of rv parks? For us the whole idea of rv living is to travel America and see all 49 states. That means lots of rv campgrounds. Is it going to mean that when a vaccine is available you must prove you've taken it or you're not going anywhere. Many of us are not willing to take government sponsored vaccines for various reasons, but that's a discussion for another time. 2) With riots popping up everywhere and hostilities rampant, are we vulnerable like sitting ducks. Hate bringing this stuff up, but it seems these are today's realities.

Please share your candid thoughts. Thanks.
Eddie
Dallas, Texas
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #2

ref state borders your guess is as good as anyone's. i've read about and seen YouTube videos of state border checkpoints in Florida looking for people sick from Covid. don't know if tests are done, simple forehead temp scans or just a bunch of questions. those who test positive, admit they are positive or just have license plates from certain states are asked to self-quarantine for 14-days. not sure how that is enforced or if enforcement is even attempted. not sure how this affects travelers passing through. i have read online that only the feds can shut down interstate traffic and then only under certain conditions but, and this would be a worst worst case, should CV-19 approach The Walking Dead status you can bet tribalism will be the rule.

based on what i've read and other online sources it seems that most RV parks, public and private, are open but what rules are in place likely vary from park to park.

riots, violent disturbances...seem to be largely confined to urban areas. i've wondered about this also. some of the...participants...seem to be attacking anything and everything. the mob wants what the mob wants at that moment. there is no rhyme or reason to the mind of the mob. a motor home, 5'er, travel trailer even a truck camper or a teardrop trailer and even RV park can convey wealth to some in the mob and in the mob's mind wealth = the enemy. i subscribe to the twitter feeds of whatever police jurisdiction we find ourselves in on the theory that anything violent going down would result in a twitter alert.

be safe. keep aware of events in whatever area you find yourself in or to where you are headed. learn to trust your 'spidey sense'. good luck.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #3

Eddie, how can you not want the Covid vaccine if/when it becomes available? Right now you, me, everyone is a sitting duck because we can all get Covid. I certainly will be first in line to get the vaccine if it is available AND effective. Guess you may be too young to remember polio and how dangerous that was.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #4

This is not polio or even close. To the OP, we've been in 11 states since April. We haven't had a single problem.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Eddie, how can you not want the Covid vaccine if/when it becomes available? Right now you, me, everyone is a sitting duck because we can all get Covid. I certainly will be first in line to get the vaccine if it is available AND effective. Guess you may be too young to remember polio and how dangerous that was.
the "...and effective..." part is key. and i'll add the known side effects. neither will likely be known for a while so being "first in line" may be a crap shoot. but go right ahead...someone has to break trail.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
the "...and effective..." part is key. and i'll add the known side effects. neither will likely be known for a while so being "first in line" may be a crap shoot. but go right ahead...someone has to break trail.

Jonas Salk administered the first dose of his polio vaccine to himself, and then to his own children.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Jonas Salk administered the first dose of his polio vaccine to himself, and then to his own children.
ok. so?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:18 PM   #8

Half serious.... if worried about rioters / looters how about a Nitrous Oxide system? Yes laughing gas like a Dentist uses - gas the crowd then bug out.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #9

None of it is going to last forever.

It's likely there will be a vaccine in a year or two. Until then we may have to be inconvenienced to be safe.

Protests are already petering out, in large part because the protesters are getting what they want, which is to be heard.

I think what will happen is that a bazillion new camper owners are going to discover that there's no place for them...or for us...at the campgrounds. In a year or two a bazillion cheap newish campers will be for sale in attempts to get rid of that expensive backyard paperweight.

So I'd suggest you hold for a while and reassess the situation then.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #10

First and foremost everybody has to take control of their own lives, body and mind. Second, wasn't it today announced that Wahun China has started administering Phase II not III completed testing vaccine to their military and others?

To each their own, but a couple of things we are trying to keep in perspective to keep our sanity during all this is that:

a) SARS, another strain of Coronavirus, was 2002 to last death I believe in 2004 (2 years) and whilst there is talk that a vaccine was produced it was never administered for it. Nothing seems to last forever, but in the great words of the financial world, whilst past performance might not be indicative of future performance what else can we go by?

b) There is absolutely no way on earth when a vaccine does come out we (and we have underlying health conditions) would consider having it based on how many things in bygone years folks were exposed to with unknown future issues/side effects. Heck, probably not a good example but look at Asbestos, some 30+ years later before it was properly linked to major lung issues. My aunt had a hip replacement in Ireland a decade plus ago and it was poisoning her and several others, the lawsuit payouts were a joke and after removing and replacing for her at several years later at 86 she passed shortly after. There's tons of other examples. We choose to observe for a while before having vaccine, and as said before to each their own. Can't see all king pins in government having their own exposed to the first vaccines like Mr Polio did can you?

Also FWIW for the OP as another perspective: We still have some FT Canadians in Montana right now, that left Canada back in October/November 2019 for a Mexico caravan they ran, where they were when the March announcements came out. They didn't panic, felt safe in Mexico and carried on and crossed the border into the USA no problem a month later, and have been boondocking their way all around the western parts of the USA, and soon will head East IN THE USA to cross into Ontario around August time. Just sharing, and reading many boondockers websites like We're not lost we're RVing, Fate Unbound and many many others they all quote feeling safer out there doing that, than being stuck in higher populous areas for sure. They use Masks, Gloves and high sanitizing when traveling/filling with gas/groceries etc when exposed around others, as do we.

If everyone would take consideration by doing what they can to limit how this spreads right now from what we've been told "right or wong", who knows???? but at least more containment would help ensure things stay open and open up more hopefully. With cases on the rise again, then we have to prepare for this so called second wave, but with knowledge and experience now that we didn't have the first go around.

OP, you and you alone are in control of how you chose to live your life, government restrictions of course that have to be adhered to, but where there's a strong enough will, we all find a way

Happy Travels and don't sweat the small stuff, this too shall pass............... eventually!
Old 06-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Horn View Post
Please share your candid thoughts.
2020 is not the year to start full timing.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Do you have any idea what goes into many vaccinations?
Old 06-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Horn View Post
Wife and I have been considering full-time rving
Please share your candid thoughts. Thanks.
Eddie
Dallas, Texas
If your ready go for it. There will always be something that will come up. Deal with it when it does.

My parents were always going to do that. Talked about it a lot. Bought a boat and the MH that I now have. They did a very little RVing and then this or that came up and before you knew it Mom was gone.

Start in your own state. Visit the parks and what ever else it has to offer. As you get comfortable than move into the next state. Nothing says you can not full time within 300 miles of home base.

DW and I have been to Canada several times but since we are not able to do that right now we are hitting the parks close to home. We visited a state park that is twelve miles from home base couple weeks ago. Another couple showed up that we have been friends with for years so had a great time even though it did rain most of the time we were there.

I sure would not look back five years from now and say I sure wished it had done. Do it while you have the chance. You have no idea what tomorrow will bring, I would not even worry about it. Enjoy today. Let tomorrow take care of itself.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:37 PM   #14

Eddie Horn: If you're planning to go full-time this year, I think I'd wait until things settle down.... and they will... hopefully, after November.

The riots will stop when it gets too chilly for them; if not before. Then they'll loose interest altogether. There has always been something or other to protest about since early times and they've always gone by the wayside eventually and things have gone back to 'normal'. Plus, they are in big cities where they can get the attention. Just stay out of the cities.

There are many intelligent researchers in the world and a vaccine will definitely become available; but not this year. Vaccines are safe. Millions and millions have gotten them and they have been successful.

We will never have long-lasting bans on crossing the state lines. Commerce needs travel.

This is a freak year and I'm sure next year will be much better when things calm down.... and they will.

Full-timing is an awesome lifestyle. We did it for 16 years. There will always be places to stay. Many scares you're hearing now are from those who are vacationing; have specific destinations and quite often, are looking for the best RV park with hookups. If you can be flexible and get off the beaten track I can assure you there are places to stay. You said you want to see the country. Plan to travel the secondary highways through the countrysides to do that. There probably won't be the RV 'resorts' or fancy parks but I can assure you, there will be places to stay. The small towns have city and county parks. If you can dry camp better yet. The national forests are gorgeous along with all public lands.

Volunteering in parks is a way to pay back. You'll feel good about helping out; it would give you purpose and the icing is that you will receive a free place to park in beautiful surroundings. We did it for 4-6 weeks at a time in places we chose to explore more thoroughly. Being able to actually live in a national park is overwhelming. You are truly appreciated by park personnel. Give it a try as you travel. It doesn't have to be a camp host. There are many more interesting things to do. Our speciality was giving lighthouse tours.

Don't give up your dream!
Closed Thread

Tags
rving