Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got first MODERNA vaccine shot!

Glad we did not leave S TX. In our Encore park someone posted Cameron County was given out shots to over 65 yo.
Spent 4 hours in car getting scheduled for the following day, yesterday. Only 65+
Spent 7 hours, of which 3.5 in a 3.5 mile backup. Then another 3 hours in a field parked waiting with several thousand cars.
6 pull thru fire station garages each had 3 stations. Took just 1 minute. Well organized.
Had to fill out easy forms.
Shots are about 1cc
Got a form to come back in a month. To be used also as proof of vaccination.
But if you dont like long lines, wait until you can get shots like for the flu at your docs office.
Slight arm soreness only.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great to hear it went well for you, even if you had to spend most of the day in your car. My parent in Arizona already got their first dose and are scheduled for their second. Eventually they will get around to us 59 year old young-ins’ :-)
Old 01-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #3

Good news for you!

It is obvious that where you live determines how easy, or difficult, it is to get the vaccination.

Where I am, my county set up a website for residents to register. Once registered in the data base, you would get an email notifying you to sign up for an appointment which was scheduled within the next two days. No need to daily check the website or to call anyone.

We arrived at our vaccination site, Disneyland parking lot, for the 1:45 appointment about an hour early. Lines were fairly short and we were sent to lines organized by appointment time. Things went quickly, about an hour total, and we were done and on our way home before 2 pm. Two weeks later, I checked back on the website and I had an appointment already scheduled for my next dose.

Hearing how difficult it is for some to even sign up for an appointment, makes me appreciate how it was organized for me. Why every area does not have a single, one-time master registration system, is beyond me. Once registered, the stress of "not knowing" is removed and it simply becomes a waiting game.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats on the first one. I go for my second in 10 days. I had to drive 2.5 hours but when I got there it took about 18 min including the 15 minute observation time.

My DW does not turn 65 till this summer so we are waiting on hers and hoping to get it by April. Until then we will continue to self isolate in our rig here in SW Florida.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The DW and I got ours yesterday. We were scheduled at a WA National Guard site. Arrived an hour early and were home before the scheduled time.

The Guard is doing an outstanding job.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:41 PM   #6

Our county is still not past the first priority which includes age 75+. We've signed up to get an email alert when they open it up to the next group. Then we can get on the actual list for the vaccine. It would be impossible to navigate this w/o some computer literacy. It's a real shame there hasn't been a better plan.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #7

Good News. Here in Georgia it took two weeks of phone and internet searches to make our first shot appointments. We had to drive over an hour each way. .We go back in 10 days for the second shots.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Back in 1975 or 4, I got the swine flue vaccine. That was set up the right way. I went in a National Guard Armory. Filled out some forms, got a shot with an AIR gun device, waited a few minutes and we could leave. This vaccine is all type of messed up

My 2 options are make an appointment it I'm lucky next week for what ever vaccine they are using. Ohio you get a time slot.

Or, the VA called me today to see If I want the vaccine. They should be calling me next to schedule the vaccine. VA will be using Moderna.

DW can not get the vaccine, so I figure if I get the vaccine I limit her chance of getting covid by 50%
Old 01-30-2021, 08:01 PM   #9

Both my daughter (a teacher) and my niece (a court clerk) got their first shot and are both having a reaction, arm pain, rash, inflammation....seems that they got part of the same batch that is causing issues in CA. Lots of local people here are having second shot reaction which include week long diarrhea.....my daughters not to excited about the second shot....
Old 01-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #10

i received my 2nd Moderna vaccine shot Friday, today I ached all over, headache, left shoulder was difficult to move. Tonight I feel fine again, I hope it works.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I got the Moderna shot last week. Appointment was relatively easy and the shot took about 20 minutes including the 15 minute observation time. I have had no adverse effects. Not even a soreness at the injection site. I go back for the 2nd shot Feb 24th.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:03 AM   #12

Our county and state are still in the 75+ stage, but that changes on February 8th. I will be eligible then (69), but my wife will not be. The county public health departments has started to do clinics for the shots and at different locations. I will try to get mine if I can get it the first week I am eligible. I have a contract on my current home and we could be moving before the second shot. But all of this depends on if the supply of the vaccines improve. Alabama is giving the first shot and holding the second shot back.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #13

I was able to get my first shot about a week ago. Our county has had a shortage of vaccine so we started looking outside of Erie County. We first found availability in Corning, about two hours away. While we were waiting for that date to come up, we found availability in Niagara Falls, about 45 minutes away. We took the appointment in the Falls and cancelled the Corning times. Worked out well so far. Number two is set for mid February so we should be good to go soon, we hope.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Good news for you!

It is obvious that where you live determines how easy, or difficult, it is to get the vaccination.

Where I am, my county set up a website for residents to register. Once registered in the data base, you would get an email notifying you to sign up for an appointment which was scheduled within the next two days. No need to daily check the website or to call anyone.

We arrived at our vaccination site, Disneyland parking lot, for the 1:45 appointment about an hour early. Lines were fairly short and we were sent to lines organized by appointment time. Things went quickly, about an hour total, and we were done and on our way home before 2 pm. Two weeks later, I checked back on the website and I had an appointment already scheduled for my next dose.

Hearing how difficult it is for some to even sign up for an appointment, makes me appreciate how it was organized for me. Why every area does not have a single, one-time master registration system, is beyond me. Once registered, the stress of "not knowing" is removed and it simply becomes a waiting game.
I live in Huntington Beach and like everyone had problems with the Android Othena app, then they updated it so I was able to get registered on Jan 17. Have been in the "waiting room" since, and last night got the email that I could schedule an appointment at Soka University. Going to go down there today at 3:00. So it took exactly three weeks from the date I registered.

Agree about the "not knowing" thing. There simply isn't enough information provided to tell us what's going on. Have been on the Nextdoor app communicating with people and that helps a lot. In fact I called the Orange County Health Agency and talked to a guy, and he explained everything, that you just wait until you get a phone call. I've heard that both Disneyland site and Soka site operate fairly smoothly. And like you, most people get in and out in less than an hour. It's only about a half hour drive for me to either one.

That said, I'm very grateful that I'm going to be getting the first shot today! I'm 66, and California is letting anyone over 65 get the shot.
Closed Thread