Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 722
Higher RV Repair Labor Rates and Longer Wait Times

Recently my dashboard blower/motor failed (bad bearing) and needed to be replaced. I fortunately have not needed repair work since Covid began and was shocked to learn of the higher labor rates and backlog of repairs at my two "go to", privately owned RV repair businesses in the greater Houston area.

Both businesses have been able to retain all of their technicians by increasing their compensation. Their higher staffing costs are being passed on to customers in the form a higher labor rate which is now $150 / hour versus $135 / hour pre-Covid.

Also, the amount of repair requests have grown dramatically during the Covid era with both businesses having backlogs of 4-6 weeks (was 2-3 weeks pre-Covid).

And if the larger / longer backlog isn't bad enough, the availability of parts has increased to 4-6 weeks if they are available at all. Both RV repair businesses are having customers bring their RV's in for repair diagnosis (which has a 3-5 day wait time), then come pick-up their RV after diagnosis and bring it back in 4-6 weeks later when parts arrive. Prior to Covid both businesses stored RVs on-site for 2-3 weeks until repair work completed.

Are other areas of the country experiencing higher labor costs / very long wait times for RV repairs that didn't exist pre-Covid or is it just a Houston thing?
__________________
Mike & Cindy in Katy, TX
2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 5,444
Just like campgrounds, when they are booked to capacity as far out as they care to schedule, they quickly realize they can raise their rates with no reduction in customer volume. Same for used RV sales, orange juice, tooth paste, and just about everything else. Iíll find out if my favorite upholstery guy has done the same next week. Iíll prepare myself for the probability that he has.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gigattime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,641
Yep. We are still waiting on parts ordered at the beginning of September. Cincinnati, Ohio.

Luckily it's the off season for us so still plenty of time before camping resumes. However, I am hoping doesn't go into spring. Dealer said could be early March based on what they are seeing.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 436
Yep it's the same all over. I am very grateful that I can do just about everything myself, it's paying off now more than it ever did before. Parts are a problem both price wise and availability but most of the time can wait or workaround.
__________________
Brian, 2011 Winnebago Via Class A on Sprinter Chassis
Tucson, AZ
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/1040577.png
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
D20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 538
$150 per hr is a bargain from what I have seen.
__________________
2021 Newmar Bay Star 3626
D20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
Senior Member


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,524
I called for an appointment at the Winnebago factory service center thinking I was calling early for an April appointment. Every Monday in April was booked. I snared a Wednesday appointment, which since I am leaving it there. Also said they would order parts as it might take that long to get them.

Didn't even ask the labor rate.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,152
Blowers are not that hard.. do it yourself.. get at any auto parts store.. they can match up.. only 3 or 4 tiny screws..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
__________________
2000 southwind storm, workhorse custom chassis with 7.4l vortec
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 09:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bhammond1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 329
Same in Michigan. I had a little repair on one of our basement doors. I couldn't get anyone that does RV repairs interested so decided to tackle it myself. The door is aluminum framed with a polished stainless front panel. The panel had to be replaced. The local sheet metal house had to wait 2 months for the material and pay 4x the price of just one year ago. The fix is done and looks like new.
Also, did a recent full service, last year cost $650 for the engine and gen, this year close to $900 for the same work.
__________________
bhammond1980
2007 Haulmark 3301ds
2019 Ram 1500
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 1,767
My local Freightliner Oasis dealer went from $95 to $105 an hour. Smaller shop in a small town in northern Iowa. Tiffin service center went from $95 to $115, or so I have heard, in Alabama. We had to get work done in Las Vegas. The Freightliner work was $176/ hour. The RV coach work (different shop) was $189/hour. Ouch! Prices vary by location, and if it takes a bit of a raise to keep good techs working, so be it. I would rather pay a bit more than to not have experienced folks in the industry.
__________________
2018 Tiffin RED 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2021, 11:06 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 66
Labor rates.

There are some places in Florida charging $200.00 an hour. Many of us are able to perform needed repairs on our coaches much of the time for electrical and plumbing and other mechanical repairs. You tube and lots of forums are a big help also. I feel bad for those that have no electrical or plumbing or mechanical abilities as they are are forced to seek dealership or repair facilities waiting for parts or for a service appointment and the paying high out of pocket prices. We are fortunate to be able to do what we can and if not I have a Freightliner service center near us with a great relationship with the service manager and workers as well as a good RV service center that I have known the Service Manager for many years. You can never have too many friends. Stay safe, Stay well and Happy Holidays.
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
puttin's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Recently my dashboard blower/motor failed (bad bearing) and needed to be replaced. I fortunately have not needed repair work since Covid began and was shocked to learn of the higher labor rates and backlog of repairs at my two "go to", privately owned RV repair businesses in the greater Houston area.

Both businesses have been able to retain all of their technicians by increasing their compensation. Their higher staffing costs are being passed on to customers in the form a higher labor rate which is now $150 / hour versus $135 / hour pre-Covid.

Also, the amount of repair requests have grown dramatically during the Covid era with both businesses having backlogs of 4-6 weeks (was 2-3 weeks pre-Covid).




And if the larger / longer backlog isn't bad enough, the availability of parts has increased to 4-6 weeks if they are available at all. Both RV repair businesses are having customers bring their RV's in for repair diagnosis (which has a 3-5 day wait time), then come pick-up their RV after diagnosis and bring it back in 4-6 weeks later when parts arrive. Prior to Covid both businesses stored RVs on-site for 2-3 weeks until repair work completed.

Are other areas of the country experiencing higher labor costs / very long wait times for RV repairs that didn't exist pre-Covid or is it just a Houston thing?



Oh hell yes. Here in Ca. the labor rate is $200 in most places and the wait times are the same or worse than there- with the same routine for diagnosis and repair appointments. Some of my not very mechanically-inclined friends have been victims. In my view these problems will continue forever.
__________________
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35-J
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,076
I own an automotive repair shop and can confirm this is a widespread issue. I had no choice but to up labour rates 2 times, but very minor so far. I am bleeding money, so I need to reup, probably another 5% yet again.

I've been hit with rate hikes on everything, from internet (5%), phone (5%), natural gas (17%), insurance (63%!), electricity (8%) and more. All this really hit me the past 3 months. Some people are lining their pockets and it's really exaggerated.

Parts procurement is no picnic. I have been tending to pre-ordering parts even MORE than before, sometimes up to 2 weeks in advance. Parts cost has gone up on many things, batteries (20%), tires and wheels (30$ and more per unit).
__________________
2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD gas 6.0 dually
1994 K1500 Suburban shop mule and plow truck
2006 Lakota 29RKT 5th wheel
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: oregon
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I own an automotive repair shop and can confirm this is a widespread issue. I had no choice but to up labour rates 2 times, but very minor so far. I am bleeding money, so I need to reup, probably another 5% yet again.

I've been hit with rate hikes on everything, from internet (5%), phone (5%), natural gas (17%), insurance (63%!), electricity (8%) and more. All this really hit me the past 3 months. Some people are lining their pockets and it's really exaggerated.

Parts procurement is no picnic. I have been tending to pre-ordering parts even MORE than before, sometimes up to 2 weeks in advance. Parts cost has gone up on many things, batteries (20%), tires and wheels (30$ and more per unit).
Shutting down a ecomony is one thing, starting back a ecomony that took 200 yrs to build? That is where we..that is where all of us are at today.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2021, 06:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
ShelbyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyezOpen View Post
Shutting down a ecomony is one thing, starting back a ecomony that took 200 yrs to build? That is where we..that is where all of us are at today.
Yep, though the economy has now recovered and exceeds pre-covid levels, there is no guarantee a new variant won't upset things. And of course the 800,000 dead won't recover. If labor costs are higher than pre-covid, hopefully some of that is going to the techs. Thankfully, RVs are a hobby so we can just park for awhile if repair costs don't suit us.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Tags
air, repair



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hourly labor rates and extended warranty 24D Newmar Owner's Forum 9 05-25-2021 05:51 PM
Caliper stuck, are these labor rates a little excessive? Forkyfork Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 124 06-05-2018 07:35 PM
Factory Labor Rates ewlee Newmar Kountry Klub (NKK) 3 06-17-2017 12:15 AM
Shop Labor rates in Oregon deandec Class A Motorhome Discussions 10 07-05-2015 05:22 PM
Labor Rates corprimo Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 15 05-21-2014 11:37 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.