Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #29

New product announcement.

Washable toilet paper.

Can be washed at least 5 times.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #30

I'm guilty of replying without reading to the end....

I buy extra grocery staples when things are on sale. Oh look, large elbow macaroni is on sale, buy 2... that kind of thing... and I end up with enough dry goods and canned goods to carry me for a couple of weeks at least. I think "hoarding" is when a person buys above normal (for them) quantities in anticipation of future inability to acquire in spite of no actual lack of product(s).

In your example, Pete, you're not hoarding - you're maintaining your inventory as you're using it.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:31 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
On the East Coast, having supplies on hand for extended periods is prudent because of hurricanes. As such, other than normal resupply as we use the perishables, I have had no need to set aside and special provisions. In fact, the RV has always been part of my emergency plan in case we need to get out of the way of a big blow. The only increase in my buying is because I am eating out less.

As for my 401, it has turned into a 201! Guess I'm going to have to live about four years less than I originally thought!
Old 05-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
New product announcement.

Washable toilet paper.

Can be washed at least 5 times.

With a little elbow grease you can get most of the stains out too.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevescoach View Post
Pertaining to food, hoarding is keeping food stored that has gone bad. It should be thrown out but the hoarder cant come to terms with that option. She also keeps 100s of newspapers in the house instead of kicking them to the curb each week. She never donates or discards clothing so every closet is full floor to ceiling. Spare bedrooms are not accessible due to the piles of clothing and other assorted garbage. Garbage literally.....i say she because im talking about someone i personally know who is a hoarder.
Stalking up on food or buying extra supplies to live off during a state of emergency is not hoarding.
A person keeping food that has gone bad would be a person that is not hoarding properly. The definition of hoarding being to collect or amass items to be used at a later date. The opposite of your last sentence.

Unless that person intended to use the tainted food to poison a bitter spouse in order to collect on a life insurance policy.

Problems arise when people begin attempting to hoard after the state of emergency. This is known as panic buying.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:12 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
I full time in a 26 foot TT, so my freezer is like gold, so I vacuum seal stuff for it.
Being single and having lots of time on my hands. I started years ago of having a list that's very/kinda, accurate of everything I have at any given point. NO,, im not OCD, just got sick of having 8 part opened chili spices. I took this stay at home time to inventory everything, and still had 2 or 3 of some spices.
I love canning. I left northern MN last fall with 22 single srvs of canned sweet corn, and down to just a couple left. ( found a secret to canning corn, just add some sugar to it before water, and its unreal) A taesty loaded vegi soup is great for canning.
Having different rice and beans in dry form works great. At any time one can make chili, I have 4 srvs canned chili also. I have to admit, that when the hording started, I couldn't find yeast or flower, so im sitting on 8 bags of cookie mixes and 4 bread box mixes. I don't eat a lot of fresh eggs, and they go bad before used, so I get 12-24 at a time and dehydrate them, powdered eggs. They keep foreverish, and are great for using in baking and cooking. Meatloaf and or cookies, you cant tell the diff. Taking tomatoes and making sundried tomatoes, with dehydrator and or tomato powder, is space saving and tons of flavor.

Great positive thread, hear.

PS, A great hot chocolate, and or chocolate shake rsp to keep dry on hand is.
5 cups powdered milk// 1 cup powdered sugar/// 1 cup non dairy creamer/// Baking coco to taist, or add fresh fruit at time of making a shake. Or any loved extract.
I use a 2.5 cup food processor. 2 TBSP vanilla, some water and ice, mix, then add 6 heaping tablespoons of goodness, and process, and add more ice till over flowing. It will need to be eaten with a spoon, or you have to get the BIG straws.
Chocolate shake at any time and no ice cream in freezer. That takes care of the fix of dairy for the needed day.
Yes sir, the vacuum sealer suckemupper and freezer is your friend. Fresh Venison, salmon, steelhead, walleye, mushrooms, crab, oysters and razor clams. Plus Costco, hey, maybe I am a hoarder after all. Or maybe I just like to eat good. Stock up and stay safe and healthy everyone.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Old 05-09-2020, 11:16 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have not seen real hoarding or panic buying,,, yet. I hope we never do and things are actually getting better in stores. But, But, without naming countries, things could and possibly are going to heat up once they realize we are getting it together. This is just the beginning of conflict, that has been ramping up for some time. The rest of the world was just collateral damage. It won't be hoarding, it will be several steps beyond that. Personally I think it is pointless to have much more than 3-4 months of survival supplies if you want to call them that. Somewhere around 4 months without the ability to re-supply we are done. And don't even think about living off the land.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #36

"Hoarding" is just the word you use about other people when you don't plan ahead and all the toilet paper is gone when you get to the store.

It's like, when I watch my spending, I'm thrifty, but when the guy I don't like does the same thing, he's a skinflint.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 05-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
A person keeping food that has gone bad would be a person that is not hoarding properly.
I am not an expert on any of this, but we buy some canned goods from Costco and they always come with expiration dates which are generally 12-18 months in the future.

I was always told as a child that canned goods were probably good until the next ice age so I don't know if those Best By dates are really meaningful. I am not referring to stuff "canned" at home, but rather to stuff like canned tuna fish or canned chicken or canned ravioli.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I am not an expert on any of this, but we buy some canned goods from Costco and they always come with expiration dates which are generally 12-18 months in the future.

I was always told as a child that canned goods were probably good until the next ice age so I don't know if those Best By dates are really meaningful. I am not referring to stuff "canned" at home, but rather to stuff like canned tuna fish or canned chicken or canned ravioli.
That may or may not be true. Why take the chance?

It is easy enough to rotate through a supply of perishable goods. A month or two past an expiration date? Sure, go ahead and use it. Keeping goods that are years past that date is a waste of shelf space.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #39

I look like a big hoarder right now. As I am headed north in 3 days, so all things off the walls, heavy things divided as best I can on the floor, most canned heavy goods out of the cupboards and in milk crates. Truck bed will look like I just drove around early Sunday morning going to ( when we used to have) yard sails. I use the bunkroom for nothing but storage, so hang a curtain to hide said stuff, but needs to be taken out for travel. (ummm ) I was wondering why the rear right TT tire wore more than the other 3. Hence bunkroom was overloaded during travel.
You people with basements have it made, put in basement, close door.
When I get to the summer spot, ill go through some stuff and sell it. ( then ill need it)
Like my other post, I am not OCD, but keep a list of where what is so I don't have to rip the hole place apart to find something I know I have, but where.
The old bikers had it down, black shirt, black jeans, black boots, black sox. But that was also back in the day the bikes had a total loss oil system, and maybe they wore white, and it looked black. Pass out on ground with arm through bike rim so no one steals it. (YEP) ive been to some fun parties.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantley View Post
My Thought is having a year's supply of food is excessive. The only way you will need a years supply is if there is some sort of apocalyptic disaster that we have never experienced other than the movies!
In that scenario there will be a lot to worry about, not just food. A month maybe 2 months supply of food is adequate in our modern society.
Preparing for a world that is inaccessible for an entire year is futile.
I can imagine personal disasters, these families in the Church tend to the father works, mother stays home with the kids lifestyle. So if Dad gets laid off in an economic depression having a year long supply of items would not be a luxury.

And we still have economic slumps, there have been several in the last 20-30 years after all. And folks today could have been forced out of work back in March and with no sign of being able to return to work in sight in some states. CA claims they will continue the lockdown until a vaccine is created, manufactured, distributed and administered to most of the population. And that could easily be next year some time, if ever. I have to say I doubt that will come to pass that state is already revolting.

But even in the Church this is wholly voluntarily no one conducts inspections.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #41
Commercial Member

thanks for all the replies. i dont think its hoarding, when a man obtains extra supplies to take care of his family and neighbors. even if its for a year. i am sharing with my daughters family, and one neighbor who was recently widowed.
thats what i believe we should do.
gathering anything, just for personal use and not being willing to share with others is what i consider greedy.
hoarding, to my belief is collecting trash, unusable items, and just plain junk, with no intention of getting rid of it.
wait, i just went into my out building and looked around. containers of bolts and nuts, plumbing fittings, electrical outlets, and boxes of stuff i dont know what is.
guess what, by my own definition, im a hoarder. i apologize in advance. to others who responded, im sorry.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Read almost all, many walks of life, opinions and styles....

I can remember the stories of grand parents , my dads, I only remember some tough times in late 60..early 70's , the gas, employment.. etc..

He and mom never really stock piled because they felt the need to be prepared be cause of another war, oppressive gov, or another war.. It was more about planning for tomorrow and a job loss or lower pay job. and buying at a good deal when you had a few bucks...

I would go shopping with parents, sales, stock up extra paper goods, canned food that could get used in good time.. maybe go in with a relative or neighbor for a cow or splt a half cow, some times a pig,,
We canned from garden to have 6-9 months of the good stuff.. We also hunted and fished....

Yes during this mess today, My wife and I have bought some extra stuff mainly only to limit travel to stores.. Currently we started to go tru the freezer and shelves to use up some stuff from Late feb/early march..

I dont have much canned or processed packaged food, I dont eat it, All that Canned veggies, potatos gravy , velveta ..... from the 70's have lead to 5 bypasses, 3 stints and eating like a rabbit now at 59.... LOL

Stay safe and enjoy life, live today to live tomorrow..
Closed Thread