Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
NXR

How COVID-19 kills and why we can't save you (by a surgeon)

35 minutes and easy to understand. He made this on March 23rd.

https://youtu.be/4J0d59dd-qM

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
laj

well now,,guess i’ll just clean a few issues out before i hop in. [emoji23][emoji23]
Old 04-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #3

Guess I'll have to tell my daughter in-law and my good friends daughter that they're supposed to be dead. As they both just got over it! Bummers
Old 04-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Guess I'll have to tell my daughter in-law and my good friends daughter that they're supposed to be dead. As they both just got over it! Bummers
Really? Did you actually watch the video?
Old 04-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #5

Wait! Wut? What happened to Itchy's reply?

And the first place I go for an informed discussion of the CV19 pandemic is a Weight Loss Surgeon.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

And the first place I go for an informed discussion of the CV19 pandemic is a Weight Loss Surgeon.
The itch was scratched. This weight loss surgeon gave a better explanation then any video i have seen.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

Naw, the first place to go for any informed discussion is u-toob. Then drill down some for the weight loss/epidemiologist. You can find him listed between Weight Gain and Weight Regain. Obviously in the Pandemic Sciences section.

Personally I think u-toob is great for videos of dancing kitties and how-to's on toilet repair.

Remember -- the more you click, the more they make!
Old 04-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #8

Glad I didn't click.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #9
NXR

While I have no idea whether Dr. Duc Vuong is a good surgeon or not or whether he is a good human being or not, I consider his video to be yet another data point for me to consider in my learning path.

Surgeons, regardless of their specialty, are not just cutters with no knowledge of anatomy and physiology or microbiology. I have an 18-year medical career in my background and I worked as a fire department paramedic (and firefighter) for fifteen years including certification as an instructor for Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS). So yeah, I usually can tell when someone is an outright phony.

While it was a bit of a memory stretch for me but I found nothing inaccurate or misleading in his video. I have thousands of hours of training and clinical experience in my background in addition to thousands of hours of emergency response field experience. Unless you're on a dedicated big-city fire department, about 80% of all fire department responses are for emergency medical and not fires.

At the start of the video Dr. Duc Vuong establishes his education credentials by showing his MD diploma from Texas A&M in 2000 and his certificate showing he completed a five-year surgical residency in 2005. He also talks about a few other things he's done.

Some of these are interesting comments as they would relate to giving and receiving advice from people with unknown bona fides, such as what occurs on RV'ing forums.

Perhaps we should all follow Dr. Duc Vuong's example and start listing and showing our bona fides on our online forum profiles so that people know who they're taking advice from?

Ray
Old 04-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
While I have no idea whether Dr. Duc Vuong is a good surgeon or not or whether he is a good human being or not, I consider his video to be yet another data point for me to consider in my learning path.

Surgeons, regardless of their specialty, are not just cutters with no knowledge of anatomy and physiology or microbiology. I have an 18-year medical career in my background and I worked as a fire department paramedic (and firefighter) for fifteen years including certification as an instructor for Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS). So yeah, I usually can tell when someone is an outright phony.

While it was a bit of a memory stretch for me but I found nothing inaccurate or misleading in his video. I have thousands of hours of training and clinical experience in my background in addition to thousands of hours of emergency response field experience. Unless you're on a dedicated big-city fire department, about 80% of all fire department responses are for emergency medical and not fires.

At the start of the video Dr. Duc Vuong establishes his education credentials by showing his MD diploma from Texas A&M in 2000 and his certificate showing he completed a five-year surgical residency in 2005. He also talks about a few other things he's done.

Some of these are interesting comments as they would relate to giving and receiving advice from people with unknown bona fides, such as what occurs on RV'ing forums.

Perhaps we should all follow Dr. Duc Vuong's example and start listing and showing our bona fides on our online forum profiles so that people know who they're taking advice from?

Ray
One of my flaws is i need to know the whys and hows and just not the feels.

For those like me that find the science interesting here’s a podcast.
https://think.kera.org/2020/04/02/th...man-pandemics/

Krys Boyd’s radio show on KERA NPR in Dallas is an award winning show that is mostly about interviewing authors and authorities. She is one of the premier interviewers today because she not only reads their books and or articles she also reads others perspective on the topic.

In this podcast you will find out that COVID-19 was discovered I believe in 2015 in bats and there were warnings that it could process itself into a pandemic. You will also learn that the virus is a mystery when it comes to affecting humans because it is so new infecting us.

As for the video this thread is discussing the doctor is knowledgeable and a very good communicator. The communication skills probably comes from dealing with patients with morbid obesity issues.

Wear a mask, I wear a neckerchief because I’m vain, the old version of the younger working class that shake their heads when they see me out and about. Wash your hands. And most importantly, stay at home.

We are New York, Dallas, south Florida, just have to wait our turn.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I stumbled on Dr. Vuong's videos a few days ago and found the two videos I watched informative. I didn't agree categorically with every stat that he gave but still thought the videos were worth watching for me.

It makes sense to me that this virus is passed through aerosolization. I mentioned this a couple of days ago. I figured we would also be told to wear masks all the time.

Without a miracle the virus is months away. We can't wait that long to get back to work IMO. Hopefully everyone other than the hotspots (major cities) goes back to work soon.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I stumbled on Dr. Vuong's videos a few days ago and found the two videos I watched informative. I didn't agree categorically with every stat that he gave but still thought the videos were worth watching for me.

It makes sense to me that this virus is passed through aerosolization. I mentioned this a couple of days ago. I figured we would also be told to wear masks all the time.

Without a miracle the virus is months away. We can't wait that long to get back to work IMO. Hopefully everyone other than the hotspots (major cities) goes back to work soon.
Unfortunately the homemade masks won't stop aerosolization but will block droplets and similar. Every little bit helps.

Even though his video was made two weeks ago, his projection as to the early April numbers, while seemingly very high at the time, turned out to be low.

I think the biggest short-term breakthrough will be a titer test (antibody levels). People who test good for antibodies can go back to work and will have documentation. As long as this thing remains stable.

But it does bring up the whole "Show me your papers" problem. And that is not a small problem because it will be a big fight to keep it from being forever. I can just see the RealID cards being made to store such medical data in the future.

Ray
Old 04-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Unfortunately the homemade masks won't stop aerosolization but will block droplets and similar. Every little bit helps.

Even though his video was made two weeks ago, his projection as to the early April numbers, while seemingly very high at the time, turned out to be low.

I think the biggest short-term breakthrough will be a titer test (antibody levels). People who test good for antibodies can go back to work and will have documentation. As long as this thing remains stable.

But it does bring up the whole "Show me your papers" problem. And that is not a small problem because it will be a big fight to keep it from being forever. I can just see the RealID cards being made to store such medical data in the future.

Ray
The problem is many/most are still at work. If we're waiting for everyone to have a vaccine or antibodies than we're in trouble.

If our enemies know that a new virus = shutting down the American economy than this might never end. Every year or two we'll be likely to see the next virus. I don't personally think this particular one was on purpose but the next one may be.

I guess having almost Pandemic level ICU and ventilators could be part of the solution. I don't know really. Being somewhat self reliant as far as the treatment drugs go has to be discussed at least.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #14

They just announced that 3 to 15,000 deaths are expected in Ontario Canada.
Closed Thread