RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Have you started ignoring COVID-19 Topics?
Too political 27 21.09%
Too much conspiracy 21 16.41%
Too argumentative 25 19.53%
Too repetitive 26 20.31%
Too much conservative slant 16 12.50%
Too much liberal slant 20 15.63%
TOO MUCH EVERYTHING! 51 39.84%
NO, Don't ignore them at all. 31 24.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2020, 04:40 AM   #57

The "I have the right group" amaze me with their rants. Like a bunch of spoiled kids.
The governments of the country are trying to keep you safe. Wear the mask, wash your hands, stay 6 ft away and stay home. The same advice given to people during the 1918 flu!

And if you haven't figured it out yet, avoid buying Chinese made food and products. At the very least, the job you save just might be your own.

Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 12:20 AM   #58

Kinda like a mask:

- If we all run around naked and someone pees on you, you get wet right away.

- If you are wearing pants, some pee will get through but not as much. So you are better protected.

- If the guy who pees also is wearing pants, the pee stays with him and you do not get wet.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:37 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post

Flattening the curve? Remember? What changed?
Nothing. Los Angeles *could* be 2 weeks from running out hospital beds; Houston is close. Hospital admissions in Arizona are back up and reaching ICU limits. In places where the re-opening happened sooner, so are the new cases, and the ratio of positive tests to number of tests continues to rise, especially among the more youthful. Half the new hospital admissions in California are persons 18-49 y/o. The idea was to keep the curve... uh... not curving up. That's not happening.

The human behavior that resulted in the significant up-tick in infections and hospitalizations is from denying that distancing, masks, hygiene, and staying out of public spaces for lengthy times will go a long way to slowing the spread of infection.

Relying on the masses to do the right thing(s), consistently, is a fool's bet and is why we will continue to see this 'cycling' of infections. We're not done with the first wave and the Wave 1.5 could be as bad or worse than v1, just in different places initially. What will be instructive is to compare infection rates between locales that waited longer to re-open; did the extra time result in a lower, greater, or similar infection rate compared to places that re-opened sooner? Were there differences in the use of infection control techniques?
Old 06-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Nothing. Los Angeles *could* be 2 weeks from running out hospital beds; Houston is close. Hospital admissions in Arizona are back up and reaching ICU limits. In places where the re-opening happened sooner, so are the new cases, and the ratio of positive tests to number of tests continues to rise, especially among the more youthful. Half the new hospital admissions in California are persons 18-49 y/o. The idea was to keep the curve... uh... not curving up. That's not happening.

The human behavior that resulted in the significant up-tick in infections and hospitalizations is from denying that distancing, masks, hygiene, and staying out of public spaces for lengthy times will go a long way to slowing the spread of infection.

Relying on the masses to do the right thing(s), consistently, is a fool's bet and is why we will continue to see this 'cycling' of infections. We're not done with the first wave and the Wave 1.5 could be as bad or worse than v1, just in different places initially. What will be instructive is to compare infection rates between locales that waited longer to re-open; did the extra time result in a lower, greater, or similar infection rate compared to places that re-opened sooner? Were there differences in the use of infection control techniques?
Wow. How authoritarian of you. We have heard since February that we are going to run out of hospital beds, so I'm glad you're still carrying that water. Of course a very small number of places actually did, and perhaps there will be others. But even more hospitals (almost all of ours) wound up laying staff off because there is no work and your scenario didn't and won't materialize nearly everywhere. Which is also why your grand plan of authoritarianism is the more foolish bet. Some states and some countries never shut down (widely derided in media) and did not go to their demise. They implemented requirements and guidelines that made sense where they were.

There are many, many people (I would estimate a very strong majority of the national population) who actually need to earn a living and eat, and have also not experienced the results of all the breathless predictions. Most are taking wise precautions. A few are being stupid, but stupidity is not illegal.

Case counts always go up. Cases counts rise when you test - that's what they do. It is always additive. Watch the case counts if you want. I'll put my money down that they go up. Every time. A year from now, I'll still take that bet.

Viruses always cycle. Coronaviruses are going to be with us forever. This is COVID-19 after all. There will be a COVID-20. We will need to both survive and to live our lives. Live long and prosper, solo guy.
dn325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #61

Covid information overload. A working person does not have the time to research to discern what is fact or fiction. Just like many topics on the internet.

Far to many people believe just because someone has a title or degree means that they are an expert.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Kinda like a mask:

- If we all run around naked and someone pees on you, you get wet right away.

- If you are wearing pants, some pee will get through but not as much. So you are better protected.

- If the guy who pees also is wearing pants, the pee stays with him and you do not get wet.
Works well for farts!
Old 06-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc1470 View Post
If you looked at statistic's that showed that a group (A) of 19,969,408 people died in a known period of time and you looked at another statistic that showed another group (B) of people in the same time frame only suffered a loss of 500,882 who would you be more concerned about and why? It can be proven that group A was not wearing mask and group B may or may not have. What would you suggest to change the numbers?
So one suggestion or comment to change these numbers was Group A was not smart enough to wear mask so we cleaned the gene pole a little. The other comment are the governments of the country are trying to keep you safe and the implication was, mask are one way they are doing that.

In group A every last one of them were sheltered in place. Not a single one had been outside of their place of residence until they were removed by force. This act resulted in their deaths. So would a mask help them? I do not see how. In the case of group B many were forced into close quarters were others, in many cases health concerns were an issue. Would wearing a mask help? It is very hard to determine for certain.

In both cases the governments which are supposed to be protecting these people did not. These are world wide cases and all have happened since the beginning of 2020.

The comment made about Group A having the freedom of choice is a total lie, they were given no choice at all. The comment of governments of the country are trying to keep you safe, I would question how much truth is actually in that statement.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc1470 View Post
Yes I am aware of the claimed purpose of the mask. Thank you for pointing it out though.

I asked why you did not go to a different tire store if you were so bothered. Still wonder why you did not do that. I also asked if you were aware of the potential problems using masks. Maybe check out these links on OSHA standards and what it appears that mask may do.

https://youtu.be/MxaY28cS5QQ

https://youtu.be/ibnExOcaFjg

Still think mask are for everyone?

Wow what an ad for stupidity that 1st video is. I didn’t watch the 2nd.
So this “science expert” shares the device with 3 children without sanitizing it !
Air inside the mask is also exhaled air which has a lower oxygen % ! Did he test it in front of his mouth without a mask?
Old 06-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post
Wow. How authoritarian of you. We have heard since February that we are going to run out of hospital beds, so I'm glad you're still carrying that water. Of course a very small number of places actually did, and perhaps there will be others. But even more hospitals (almost all of ours) wound up laying staff off because there is no work and your scenario didn't and won't materialize nearly everywhere. Which is also why your grand plan of authoritarianism is the more foolish bet. Some states and some countries never shut down (widely derided in media) and did not go to their demise. They implemented requirements and guidelines that made sense where they were.

There are many, many people (I would estimate a very strong majority of the national population) who actually need to earn a living and eat, and have also not experienced the results of all the breathless predictions. Most are taking wise precautions. A few are being stupid, but stupidity is not illegal.

Case counts always go up. Cases counts rise when you test - that's what they do. It is always additive. Watch the case counts if you want. I'll put my money down that they go up. Every time. A year from now, I'll still take that bet.

Viruses always cycle. Coronaviruses are going to be with us forever. This is COVID-19 after all. There will be a COVID-20. We will need to both survive and to live our lives. Live long and prosper, solo guy.
Welcome to the forum DN,
It is good to here some fresh common sense.
It seems it is not so common anymore.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post

Nice to have similar thoughts based on facts

Hospitalization was low in this area with reassignments and layoffs

Few deaths as well

The media are doing their best to stir everyone up
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #67

Folks, please put your locations under your avatar or in your sig.
When you say "my area", or "this area", no one knows where that is.

Oh, and Houston isn't close to running out of hospital beds.

Carry on...

Old 07-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Folks, please put your locations under your avatar or in your sig.
When you say "my area", or "this area", no one knows where that is.

Oh, and Houston isn't close to running out of hospital beds.

Carry on...

What's the point or reason for the poll?

FWIW, when viewing the forum on an iPhone in mobile mode avatar locations and signatures do not display.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #69

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are those don't and won't; those that may or will on some occasions; and those that do. I doubt if any one is going to change many behaviors except those in the middle group. LoL
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Wow what an ad for stupidity that 1st video is. I didn’t watch the 2nd.
So this “science expert” shares the device with 3 children without sanitizing it !
Air inside the mask is also exhaled air which has a lower oxygen % ! Did he test it in front of his mouth without a mask?
From the CDC on mask.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26...3l3fXLhxMP_bXs

Scroll down to the Face Masks section.

"In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I2 = 30%, p = 0.25)"

They don't work for this purpose. Again they are great for cleaning out the bin or sanding drywall. Not for stopping a virus.

These studies were done in multiple countries and at different time periods. We have been trying to stop viruses for a long time. Not even the legendary N95 is going to stop everything. Even better is suddenly the cute cloth mask your grandma made is going to do it?

But please wear them if it makes you feel better.