Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You do have a valid point there. I live in the country, not quite in the sticks, but far enough. When I do my "loop" I am never more than 3-4 miles from home. If I did have a breakdown, which is quite unlikely, I could call my son who lives next door to me and have him come with one of my tractors and tow me home.
Lynn
Hi Lynn,

That's good your son could come get you :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
My 03 diesel has a bit over 128k miles and a little over 1000 hr on the generator. I have owned it since new/dealer demo coach. It is normally used often enough that I don't need to think about exercising. However, I throughout its lifetime I have ensured the generator get run every 4-6 weeks, and have not let if sit beyond 60 days w/o driving it 30 min or so.

DURING THE LOCKDOWN: Right now, it was used the first week of March. I had to replace the ATS so ran the generator to test the new one out about 2 weeks ago. If we are unable to make our next engagement the first week of May, I will drive it 30 min anyway. Our "lockdown" gives leeway for solo activities … different areas are doing it differently.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
To each their own on reasons.....

You say you don’t drive your rig because you don’t want to risk a breakdown. Do you apply the same reasoning to your daily driver vehicle? If anything with a motor sits too long, it can cause risks too.

Just a thought.
I am 100% confident with our daily drivers, I am about to drive one to a store later where the shopkeeper will put the non perishable groceries in the trunk (paid for over the phone).

I am always a bit weary about out class A as have some issues with it which have had been now resolved by Cummins.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #18

Keep in mind... there's really no reason to take it for a drive. Snowbirders leave it sit for 3-6 months at a time. There's no harm done just so you don't start it up and let it sit in one place - that's when it's bad to do.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Keep in mind... there's really no reason to take it for a drive. Snowbirders leave it sit for 3-6 months at a time. There's no harm done just so you don't start it up and let it sit in one place - that's when it's bad to do.
We’re just coming into spring up here after being parked since November. That’s longer than some Snowbirds park down South in one spot. I don’t like square tires along with other moving parts seizing up. Just a drive around the countryside so I’ll be able to use it again someday.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Well, you may get away with that in a dry, low humidity climate.

I'm not. Recently took mine out after sitting about 4 months, and had to break one of the front brake caliper pads free. Rusted to the rotor !
Old 04-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #21

I put a Peletron in front of it and let it exercise itself.

Couldn't help it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
We’re just coming into spring up here after being parked since November. That’s longer than some Snowbirds park down South in one spot. I don’t like square tires along with other moving parts seizing up. Just a drive around the countryside so I’ll be able to use it again someday.
How do you rate? I'm south of you and we're getting a hard snowstorm with 2-3" on the ground now.
Lynn
Old 04-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #23

We are taking it to the beach again today.
If we get chased off we will just drive back home.

Gas is less than $1.50 gal. and we can't take a trip.
I am going to write my congressman.

There ought to be a law.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Last week we loaded the RZR into the toy hauler's garage and met friends for a week of boondocking and RZR riding on BLM land an hour south of Tucson. That's the best way to exercise your equipment - use it. And yes we're on lock down but I'm ignoring it.
IGNORING IT !
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Last week we loaded the RZR into the toy hauler's garage and met friends for a week of boondocking and RZR riding on BLM land an hour south of Tucson. That's the best way to exercise your equipment - use it. And yes we're on lock down but I'm ignoring it.
Sounds like your stance is "It's all about ME".
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
I store my rig at a friend's farm. Nice asphalt surface with wild cats running around so have never had a mouse problem.

We last used the rig on March 8th. Normally I would drive up, check fluids, start generator and turn on the AC (even when cold outside), drive rig for about 30 miles and park it. I like to do this monthly at a minimum.

Here, we are told to stay home except for essential reasons. Exercising a rig is not essential but I can do this without any exposure to anyone.

What do others think about exercising during this period of time?
According to Cummins there is no need to drive your MH monthly.]
FWIW, our MH had been stored in a barn for 8 years due to owner illness when we bought it. The drive nor generator engine have NEVER had any issues from not being started during those 8 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #27

We exercised the MH today. Took it to the beach.
I guess the "close" order does not mean everyone.
Just to keep large gatherings away.

Fired up the grill and skillet to make fajitas.
And Margaritas...
Old 04-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #28

Took our rig out for an 45 minute run yesterday for the second time since the lock down was ordered in Florida.

I do not know where everyone was going but there were plenty of cars on the road in NE Florida! Maybe going to the grocery stores to stock up for Easter?

I know that it does not hurt a DP to sit, but feel that it is better to take it out for a spin and keep everything lubricated, batteries fully charged etc.

Besides that, it is just fun and it got us out of the house for a nice ride down the road!!!