Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

Individual rights of asymptomatic disease spreaders vs their obligations to society

Mary Mallon, aka Typhoid Mary, was the first disease super spreader identified in the United States a hundred years ago. There is no way of knowing how many people died from being infected with typhoid fever directly by her or by the many people she infected.
Her case brought up many questions about how to deal with super spreaders to protect innocent people they may come into contact with when they refuse to take any action themselves to protect others.
The following links tell her story and the stories of public health officials attempts to stop her from spreading the deadly disease. I post them in the hope we can learn from them and discuss them in a civil adult manner in reference to protecting ourselves and others from further misery and death in our present crisis.
https://www.history.com/news/10-thin...t-typhoid-mary
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kionasm...h=32906dbb1e3e
I wear a [emoji40] to protect myself from others but just as importantly to protect others from me just in case I am an unrecognized asymptomatic COVID virus carrier. I only wish everyone I come into contact with when I must go out in public would show me and others the same courtesy and consideration.
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
3 proven deaths, estimated by some to be as high as 50. She was identified as a carrier and forcibly isolated until she died at 70 years old.

Interesting story - another one is Tony Labella’s

Typhoid, a bacteria infection, had a mortality rate of 25% then.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #3

You do know that a common cold can kill a compromised person.

How about the flu or other cummunicable disease out there ?

Are we going to live the rest of our lives with masks on.

Driving kills people, should we stop driving ?

The most likely place to find a helping hand is on the end of your arm. Protect your self by wearing a good mask.
twinboat is offline   Reply
Old 03-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #4

MY take on all this is that the overall responsibility is mine to not get sick. I have been wearing a KN-95 mask in public since back in early March 2020 when they were still easy to purchase. I still wear one every time I am in public.

I don't go out to eat, get my haircut, go to family gatherings & don't go the the gym. But, we still do all sorts of things, but do our best to stay out of locations that are known to spread the flu and this new virus.

These are MY choices. If all goes well my wife will have her second vaccination in two weeks and I will have mine by the end of April. Then we can start to add in a few of the places we have stayed out of.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply
Old 03-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You do know that a common cold can kill a compromised person.

How about the flu or other cummunicable disease out there ?

Are we going to live the rest of our lives with masks on.

Driving kills people, should we stop driving ?

The most likely place to find a helping hand is on the end of your arm. Protect your self by wearing a good mask.

Let's look at the numbers ........

Flu deaths 2018-2019. 36,400 died

Driving deaths 2019. 34,200 died

Common Cold deaths 2019. 26,000 died

Total. 96,600 died

Total Covid deaths in one year. 500,000 & counting.

That's a HALF MILLION + of our grand parents , father's , mother's , son's , daughter's , brother's , sister's , aunt's , uncle's , cousin's , nephew's , niece's ..............

More people have died in ONE YEAR than all our soldiers that gave the ultimate sacrifice in all the world wars combined .

Please don't equate normal , everyday disease's with a Pandemic .

If we hadn't instituted masks , social distancing and quarantine we could easily be twice the lost lives . If we had implemented these guidelines earlier and embraced the science , the number could be half what it is today.

People are entitled to their own opinions , but not their own facts.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply
Old 03-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #6

BILL GAIL: I agree with everything you stated. This virus can't be compared to the flu or anything else.
twogypsies is offline   Reply
Old 03-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
BILL GAIL: I agree with everything you stated. This virus can't be compared to the flu or anything else.

X2

Had both vaccines and still wear a mask.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #8

I believe everyone should have the right to live their life as they wish, until it starts affecting other people. Want to drive your car 150 mph? Go find a race track you can rent and have at it, but don't do it on the street. Want to swing your arms? Again, have at it until it hits my nose. The same thing goes for any other type of behavior that may have detrimental effects on other people. Very few of the rights ensconced in our constitution are unlimited. We have the right to free speech, but that right does not extend to yelling "fire" in a crowded building. As has been said by very sage minds before "with rights come responsibilities". Many, many people today seem to forget about the responsibilities part. I'll climb down off my soapbox now.
arcaguy is offline   Reply
Old 03-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do not want coronavirus stay home. Some of us do not have a choice. I need my paycheck to survive. It is a personal decision. I follow the rules and have many masks. I try to stay away from people. I still take my rv out for small trips. Last summer we did a coast to coast trip during these trying times. We had no troubles besides one rv park cancelling us days before we were to arrive. I am actually more isolated travelling then I am at work. Got my first vaccine today. Second dose in 3 weeks. I am sick of the whole situation. I am going to have a mask burning ceremony when this stuff is all over.
Charles L is offline   Reply
Old 03-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post

Total. 96,600 died

That's a HALF MILLION + of our grand parents , father's , mother's , son's , daughter's , brother's , sister's , aunt's , uncle's , cousin's , nephew's , niece's ..............

More people have died in ONE YEAR than all our soldiers that gave the ultimate sacrifice in all the world wars combined .

If we hadn't instituted masks , social distancing and quarantine we could easily be twice the lost lives . If we had implemented these guidelines earlier and embraced the science , the number could be half what it is today.

Vaild concerns for safety of others and yourself. I too wear a mask in public and will continue to do so but I do realize that others will not. Some are lazy, don't care or genuinely believe its hyped up or their personal right. I see both sides but ultimately its up to an individual. I do however think there is a financial motivation or incentive to over report positive test results or Covid deaths and I'm sure some here have already read this story:

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-questions-raised-after-fatal-motorcycle-crash-listed-as-covid-19-death

This is only one report. How many incidents like this go unreported? What is the true fatality count?

In my home state during the early weeks and months of the outbreak a state health official said that community spread infections are most likely greater by a factor of ten and possibly 100 over the actual positive test results. 488,000 positives in Minnesota thus far. Multiply that by 10 and your at 4,880,000 out of a pop. of 5,657,342 (2020 census). Could be higher or lower, who really knows.

Anyway you look at Covid management it has been a cluster. Lots of conflicting information.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply
Old 03-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #11

Yes, 500,000 deaths is tragic. The mask does not save anyone's life. Everyone dies sooner or later. If death is a result of covid depends on an individual's own health and immune system.

My mother at 82 had the first vaccine shot and died with in a week. 50 people or 30% of the nursing home patients and staff got sick at that time and I believe there were other deaths. Theory is it was either the vaccine, or the lady giving the shots had covid. All covid mask wearing and other protocols were in place. My father at 84 has had both shots and didn't have any side effects at all.

Typhoid Mary was proven to have the disease. I have not had covid. Yes, quarantine those who are sick or even asymptomatic. Last year this time, I was, along with the rest of the country, put under house arrest for 2 month with out committing a crime and with out having covid. I have had my ability to shop, dine out, worship, socialize, etc.. taken from me for about a year now. I have not been a threat to anyone during this time. And during this time the majority of family, friends, and coworkers are "essential" and still have to go to work.

The covid policies assume that everyone is a carrier when in fact, odds are they are not. Even after 1 year into this, only 8% of the population has gotten sick from covid. The other 92% have not been a threat to anyone. Yet businesses are shut down, incomes are lost, education is not happening, etc..I will agree that the 8% would probably be higher without all the precautions, but we will never know to what extent. Quarantine the sick, not the healthy. If someone is afraid of covid, they can quarantine themselves.
Dr Obbins is offline   Reply
Old 03-05-2021, 05:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post

Total. 96,600 died

500,000 died with covid (supposedly). But how many died of covid?
We really don't know.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:46 PM   #13

Those that choose to wear a mask(s) to protect themselves from the Covid should continue to wear them if they so choose, or your state/locality require it. It also protects me from those that are wearing a mask. If you are concerned that I’m not wearing one stay away from me (6 ft) and I’ll stay away from you. Life is full of dangers that we all make decisions on how to handle them.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply
Old 03-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
500,000 died with covid (supposedly). But how many died of covid?
We really don't know.
Exactly. If a guy had a massive heart attack but tested positive for Covid what did he die from? There is a better than 50% chance he will be counted as a Covid death. Unless of course he was in a NY nursing home!

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply
Closed Thread