Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is this mess changing your purchase plans?

This may be the wrong section and if it is, please forgive me. Mods if you feel the need to move please do so.
We purchased our ORV in December before this mess started thankfully.
My question to those that are in the process or were planning on purchasing your RV/Trailer this spring has this "pandemic" caused you to change your plans and if so, why?
Personally if we were planning to purchase in this time period I would continue with it for a couple of reasons:
A- keep the economy going, our economy is getting lambasted and we need to do what we can to keep our financial lives as well as the general economy strong.
B- diversion. By going about our lives (with due precautions) you maintain your sanity and hey, who doesn't enjoy looking at RV's. A healthy diversion from the daily doom and gloom is a good thing.
C- financial. Dealers are going to be very motivated to move units.

Discuss in a civil manner.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #2

We're now on the 'already purchased' side of the fence, but just barely.

We contracted for the purchase of a class B in September 2019 knowing the build date would be January or possibly February, 2020.

We were notified the unit was ready for pickup in late February, and made the purchase on February 27. While driving home I wondered if we were getting all dressed up for a party that wasn't to be. And that's how it evolved. We drove the new Galleria from Michigan to our home in Maryland. It was in our driveway for about a week, and then we parked it in a storage facility without taking a first trip, because things were changing so quickly for the worse. I'm guessing we may be able to get out and about with it in 2021.

I'm glad we bought it, but waiting for the fun is gonna be a long one.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
This may be the wrong section and if it is, please forgive me. Mods if you feel the need to move please do so.
We purchased our ORV in December before this mess started thankfully.
My question to those that are in the process or were planning on purchasing your RV/Trailer this spring has this "pandemic" caused you to change your plans and if so, why?
Personally if we were planning to purchase in this time period I would continue with it for a couple of reasons:
A- keep the economy going, our economy is getting lambasted and we need to do what we can to keep our financial lives as well as the general economy strong.
B- diversion. By going about our lives (with due precautions) you maintain your sanity and hey, who doesn't enjoy looking at RV's. A healthy diversion from the daily doom and gloom is a good thing.
C- financial. Dealers are going to be very motivated to move units.

Discuss in a civil manner.

BPTS
Thanks for question..it hasn’t changed my potential purchase plans once the self imposed isolation is completed...nice you used the word “mess”...thank you.

Take care
Coops
Old 03-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think Im still on track for a winter 2020 purchase, but the hit my investment accounts to took isn’t instilling a lot of confidence. Hopefully we’ll see some corrections upward by then.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You just won’t be able to go anywhere
Old 03-21-2020, 07:02 PM   #6

We were on the verge of going from our TT to a new class B. A less than satisfactory test drive delayed our shopping while we considered other models that weren't locally available. Then the SHTF. I expect larger discounts will be available but production may slow down as well. I would not be unhappy if we had bought a new B. Having your own restroom is a good idea, even for local travel.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One month away from picking up a new rig. Hope everything will still be open.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #8

We were thinking about updating our 2008 fifth wheel, but have since discussed waiting for another year and maybe getting a recession RV deal.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #9

I am not in that position, but I would be waiting. We were looking at a couple of other toys.

Reason 1, there will be amazing deals coming up soon.
Reason 2, interest rates will be way down.
Reason 3, we will be moving any available money into stocks soon. This will hopefully increase or assets.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
WE did put off the purchase of our new toad for the time being.

I wonder how many out there are upside down on their loans and are now out of a job and have to sell. So sad.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #11

We are leaving our house for groceries only.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:46 AM   #12

we put ours up for sale a couple months ago.
nice lady asked a few questions.

then the bug hit and lady wants to buy it. they had just sold their camper.

things are a little crazy. yes. but.
lady will be getting a lightly used portable. bathroom, bedroom, cooking facility. along with a self contained generator with a large reservoir of fuel. if things get crazy where she lives, no problem.. throw some extra food in, along with your hunting gear and head for the highway.

and that will put me in a spot. i won't have the above described asset and its abilities... i will honor our offer to sell. but i can not replace mine for the same money.

if the s keeps htf folks with campers have a huge advantage.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
We had planned to finish our new home base rv port home in Florida this spring and trade our MH for a smaller new model this summer / fall. We are having trouble even getting the home construction done as workers and govt inspections are drying up. We have re thought our plans again. Two years ago we were going to purchase a new DP and continue to travel full time , but we didn’t like the construction on what ever saw compared to what we have . So as they say once again the jello is stirred. Fortunately we have a more than ample , stable ( as stable as can be in these times ) SS / Pension income. But our emergency ira investment accounts are down 30% today and the planner feels it could be 50% before this is over.
We will complete the rv port home asap and sit tight with what we have. Fortunately we own everything. My personal feeling is this will be much worse than 2008 to the rv industry. I doubt many manufacturers will survive . Used prices will be in free fall with people owing way too much and upside down with income turmoil . New purchases should be non existent , purchasing a new rv is a extravagance that should not be done now by just about anybody not floating in excess cash Assuming this continues a couple months more.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #14

I read that Winnebago has suspended production.
Closed Thread

Tags
purchase