RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:07 PM   #1

Maine Travel Questions

Lobsterquest
Every other year I take the family on a trip to Maine (we're in Virginia) mainly for scenery and lobster eating. This year we've tentatively planned it for the 1st 15 days of September.

Because of COVID-19 I have been checking the official Maine website and it says we, being out-of-staters, have to quarantine for 14 days. This would make our trip pointless to attempt.

Are any of you good people currently visiting Maine and can give me current info on RV'ing in Maine, specifically Acadia and Bar Harbor?

Thanks in advance.

El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I plan to head to New Hampshire for a month in Sept/Oct and spend a week or so in Maine so Iíll be watching this.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:48 AM   #3

Maine

I am from Maine and my wife and I are currently spending the summer in a campground in the Northwestern part of the state. We are officially now Florida residents and do the snowbird thing as full timers, spending summers in Maine and winters in southern Florida. We arrived in Maine on 4 June 20 and as a result of current restrictions imposed by the Governor of Maine, we had to quarantine for 14 days. Since arriving, we have spent 3 days travelling to Ogunquit and 4 days in Bar Harbor. Each time, prior to check-in, we had to sign a Maine form that certifies we have quarantined. All hotels and campgrounds are using this same form, which is still in effect today. It is a very tough situation when you are travelling to an area on vacation and have limited time. It is also very hard on hotel and campground owners, as they are losing revenue. The Governor has been very tough on this issue in spite of a lot of push back by the opposite party and business owners.
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #4

Will a recent test help?
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #5

A recent test won't help, you could get the virus from the test site on the way out.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A recent test won't help, you could get the virus from the test site on the way out.
Exactly!
Old 08-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, we are foregoing travel to stay in one place and avoid COVID19. There are always other years we can travel, provide we live through this mess.

Ken
Old 08-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #8

We entered Maine, legal as can be, following a Covid 19 test less than 72 hours old. That is the alternative to the quarantine. We got our test in VT on Monday, got the results by phone on Wednesday and entered Maine on Thursday.

This is from the Keep Maine Healthy website:

How many days prior to my visit to Maine should I get a COVID-19 test?

Visitors should have a sample taken for a COVID-19 "PCR" test no longer than 72 hours prior to arrival in Maine. The result must indicate the visitor is COVID-19 negative. Alternatively, the visitor may commit to quarantining upon arrival in Maine for 14 days.

https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restartingmaine/keepmainehealthy/faqs
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ron, but in those 72 hours until you get the test results you need to self quarantine as you could be exposed to COVID19.

Ken
Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Ron, but in those 72 hours until you get the test results you need to self quarantine as you could be exposed to COVID19.Ken
Duh! We met the guidelines and were welcomed in. Using your logic we could have caught it 5 seconds after the test.
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #11

We are currently visiting Maine in the areas the OP mentioned. As others have said, you need to fill out and turn in a form at each campground, hotel, or whatever. After that, no one really bothers you one way or another. Wear a mask, use common sense, and you'll be fine.

Soft shell is going for $5 per pound, if you know where to look. It's sad to see the relatively empty campgrounds and some of the businesses that have closed, but it's nice that it's quieter than usual for this time of year.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds great to me
Old 08-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First, I'm not trying to suggest that one should minimize the threat this COVID-19 poses to people. Observe safe health practices at all times.

From this website: https://gds.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...ccca0fbbfe0c7c is the following statement: Visitors from CT, VT, NH, NJ, NY and those with negative Covid tests within 72 hrs of arrival are exempt from the 14-day quarantine. Businesses may require a Certificate of Compliance.

Our daughter and family live in NH, we live in VA. We had been wanting to visit them for some time, but, NH required (until early July) that non-residents must self quarantine for 14 days after arriving in NH. In early July, NH changed that policy to allow non-residents to meet the 14 day self quarantine by observing a 14 day self quarantine in their home state before arriving in NH. So, we did our 14 day self quarantine in our home in VA (OP's home state), loaded our motorhome and drove to NH. Upon our arrival there, the campground that we stayed at required that we sign a certification that we had quarantined for 14 days before arrival.

Prior to our arrival, I had a conversation with the staff at the NH campground that we stayed at to confirm that they were comfortable with our strategy. They were.

The New England States (ME, VT, NH and others) allow their residents to pass freely across state boundaries.

So, our logic was that by self quarantine at home in VA for 14 days before arrival in NH, we were treated the same as NH residents when we arrived and signed the certification. It seems logical that we would, therefore, be allowed to travel throughout New England with the same restrictions as NH residents.

We did make one afternoon trip from NH into Maine for a picnic on the beach; masks, social distance, never left the car during the trip to/from the beach, etc.

So, I believe that it's possible to observe the spirit of the quarantine restrictions without spending 14 days in self quarantine after arrival in ME.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #14

If I were you, I wouldn't come here... the .. number of people not wearing masks has increased as summer visitors have decided to come, and there there is the faction in Maine, that feel masks make certain appendages tiny and it makes them upset...

If you do decide to come, you can arrange to be tested at Maine Med in Portland ( call ahead) and with negative test results you do not have to quarantine.

The gov has all but ordered masks when in public... I wish she would add fines, so people would be more inclined to wear them, despite their personal freedoms... ( cough)

JJSimonds is offline   Reply With Quote