Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Is anyone wearing masks again? I'm vaccinated but considering it while indoors shopping. I'm seeing more people wearing them but not like 6 months ago.
I'm vaccinated 6 months ago and back to working in people's homes in my normal self-employment. When I arrive at the door I ask them if they would like me to wear a mask, but most of the time they're not wearing a mask, and vaccinated, so I don't wear a mask.

If they ask me to wear a mask, I wear a mask and I don't mind at all. In fact I'm kind of on the fence of whether I should be wearing a kn95 now, as they say the vaccine can have less effectiveness after 6 to 8 months. However I'm not wearing them in the stores, and most of the clerks aren't wearing them either, and I think I'm going to stick with that for now. I do hope they do approve a booster ASAP, and I'll be first in line to get one.

Also hoping that more people come around and get vaccinated, because that's the only way we're going to end this, or at least get it to the point where it's manageable.
tap4154 is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark,
Hope all goes well with you and the DW with the virus. I mean no disrespect regarding your post but I feel it is only honest to say this.

Your entire story is based on the assumption you were exposed in a (Subway) restaurant. While it may seem so and I might have made the same assumption but it really is not proof of where you were exposed. If some/others draw the same conclusion from what you reported it could really turn out to be inaccurate information.

This is the unfortunate situation being fostered by those in charge and we are all falling prey to it. We assume wearing a mask will stop or reduce the chances of spreading this virus to a greater degree than the science tells us. The reported science we hear and read is muddled at best.

All any of us can do is get the shots. Next we can limit our exposure and social distance ourselves.

Over the last November & December holidays we spent at our Daughters home in Conway. We even ate out some. In addition 5 to 7 of us guys have been meeting weekly before the pandemic at a pizza bar. Once the pandemic hit we started meeting at a different a house each week for beers and burgers. We did this every Friday early evening like 5 to 7-PM. We did stop durning the fall holidays and when the cold winter hit us. Other than those times we did meet and we seldom wore masks.

Since Spring and early Summer we decided to again meet at a bar which serves food as well. The early rule was to wear your mask until your are served. So that's what we did. Once the mask mandate was lifted later in the summer nobody was wearing a mask and that included the servers. This is a crowded bar and outdoor seating is available. We did meet outdoors if indoor tables were full or until it got way to hot.

One of the guys wife came down with covid so he quaranteened for 10 days. No one else in the group has come down with covid. There were a few others who attended the weekly gatherings but decided to stay away when we began meeting in a bar.

All during this entire time meeting at this bar none of the servers have come down with covid. All servers have to be over 21 and we meet for happy hour from 3 to 6-PM. After all the beer is only $1.

The servers are exposed (8 hours) every single working day in a crowded bar and yet were not infected. How does that work if masks are needed to keep this under control. Maybe just maybe they developed a heard immunity with the constant exposure however severe or slight the exposure.

Those few guys who stopped attending our indoor and outdoor gatherings are fine and those of us who exposed ourselves at a bar are also just fine. Maybe we developed the heard immunity while the others were spared because they were not exposed. Who is better off? Those who have built some immunity or those who were never exposed???

We live in AR. We were one of 7 states that never completely shut down. yes I wore a mask when we were told we had to. We attended weekly church services. We both shopped every week and I went to stores at least twice a week buying what was needed to finish projects. We also camped every month at least once.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:49 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
We let our guard down for awhile. Then we had a niece fly in for a weekend visit 3 weeks ago, She brought Delta with her. I didn’t catch it but my wife did. No major complications but wife was pretty ill for 4 days. Niece went home and ended up in hospital. She has improved and predicted to be released sometime this week.

One of the conditions of her visit was that she had to be vaccinated. Found out 2 days ago from her husband that she lied to us. He said they don’t believe in vaccinations. May not have made any difference whether she was vaccinated or not with this Covid variant, but lying has made her permanently persona non grata.

Just ordered another year supply of Kn95 masks ,looks like it is going to be a long haul out of this mess.
She lied to you and she's paying the price. If you two hadn't been vaccinated, she could have killed you. If people don't "believe in" vaccines, they need you at least tell you the truth.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:50 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeybitsko View Post
I totally agree, I will defend anyone that wishes to wear a mask or any other fashion accessory.
I will defend anyone that wishes not to wear a mask or any other fashion accessory.
For now, we are a semi free society.

+1. Even though we were a bit unlucky, we support everyone's freedom.
The way I look at it, I probably now have Delta antibody's.
Props2 is offline   Reply
Old 08-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #47

Several thoughts.

Virus particles are really small. Smaller than smoke particles. If you can smell smoke when wearing your preferred mask, the mask is providing minimal at best protection.

The longer you wear any mask, the more particles build up in it. The longer you wear that mask, the more likely the particles will work their way thru and into your body.

Only N95 and better masks really work, and then only for a limited time. Change them often. Wear them properly, if they aren't somewhat uncomfortable, they aren't doing the job.

At present, we have 2X people dying from cigarette smoke on a daily basis to those dying from Covid. Think about that.

The big push seems to indicate that only the vaccine protects you. Plenty of information out there that indicates that surviving the virus provides better protection. Why doesn't already having anti-bodies count?

The protocols for treating Covid have improved significantly over the last year. The treatments demonized because Trump recommended them actually work.

I am concerned that these brand new vaccine designs may cause harm in future years. If you are in the high risk group, the risk is justified. Why are we pushing the vaccines on the under 30 YO group who: 1. have very low risk of dying from Covid, and 2. are at higher risk of future medical problems that we won't know about for years? Note that 16-18 YO males have a higher risk of dying from the vaccine than that lung issue that has been tightly linked to getting two doses of the vaccine.

At this point, anyone who wants to get a vaccine can get one for the price of the time needed. I am not interested in wearing a mask because it provides minimal protection to someone who isn't interested in protecting themselves.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
If the surgical mask did not work. I don't think surgeon's for the better part of 100 year would have worn them. It's been well studied that it reduces germs and post surgery infection.
Get the kn95 masks. They are far superior to the blue surgical masks, they fit better and do a much better job of filtering. You can get them very cheaply now. Blue surgical masks are more about preventing the surgeon from expelling particles on to the patient, but the kn95 will do a much better job protecting you from inhaling droplets.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #49

Jayco Owners Club
Regarding N95 masks, they do work for what they are rated for which is to filter 95% of all the particles larger than .3 microns which is a lot better than the masks that most people in the public are wearing.

With that in mind and you can verify this with your own surgeon if you have one or know one as I did not too long ago, no decent surgeon will perform a surgery on a patient even with having followed a sterile surgical scrub procedure, sterile surgical suit, and sterile gloves, sterilized room, sterilize tools, and with everyone wearing a surgical N95 mask if the surgeon or anyone in the room has or has recently had a virus or bacterial infection. The reason is that even with all of the procedures mentioned, the potential for a virus (or bacteria) to be transmitted to the patient is very high even when all of the safety precautions are taken. So does an N95 mask work, yes, but still not good enough for a surgeon or any of the staff in a surgical operating room if anyone actually has a virus.
CRV2 is offline   Reply
Old 08-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
She lied to you and she's paying the price. If you two hadn't been vaccinated, she could have killed you. If people don't "believe in" vaccines, they need you at least tell you the truth.

It is a weird situation. Though this niece is in her 40’s. We have only known her for 2 years. She was a result of my late SIL’s teenage pregnancy and was given up for adoption She found us through a DNA search. She also doesn’t fit the stereotype of vaccine deniers, she is well educated and has a public service job.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
At this point, anyone who wants to get a vaccine can get one for the price of the time needed. I am not interested in wearing a mask because it provides minimal protection to someone who isn't interested in protecting themselves.

Not true. Children under 12 and many immune compromised people cannot protect themselves. Lets wear the mask for them.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply
Old 08-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #52

Do you wear clothes when you go out?

Hat, scarf, gloves, socks, shoes.........mask

Simple...........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply
Old 08-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
One of the conditions of her visit was that she had to be vaccinated. Found out 2 days ago from her husband that she lied to us. He said they don’t believe in vaccinations. May not have made any difference whether she was vaccinated or not with this Covid variant, but lying has made her permanently persona non grata.

Just.
Now that's just rude and inconsiderate. That would tick me off to no end. Absolutely no excuse for that.
jleonard is offline   Reply
Old 08-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunrollin View Post
I will defend anyone's right to wear a mask anywhere they wish. It does seem to offer a level of comfort to many people. By the same token I hope people will respectn my decision regarding my own level of safety.
A person's decision not to wear a mask is their right. However, they should not try to impose that right on those of us who are taking this stuff more seriously. Even if a person thinks I'm crazy for wearing a mask, they should still realize it's important to me and should therefore show some respect by donning a mask and/or staying out of my personal space.

Kinda like smoking, a person has the right to do it. That doesn't mean they have the right to blow their smoke into someone else's face.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I'm vaccinated 6 months ago and back to working in people's homes in my normal self-employment. When I arrive at the door I ask them if they would like me to wear a mask, but most of the time they're not wearing a mask, and vaccinated, so I don't wear a mask.

If they ask me to wear a mask, I wear a mask and I don't mind at all. In fact I'm kind of on the fence of whether I should be wearing a kn95 now, as they say the vaccine can have less effectiveness after 6 to 8 months. However I'm not wearing them in the stores, and most of the clerks aren't wearing them either, and I think I'm going to stick with that for now. I do hope they do approve a booster ASAP, and I'll be first in line to get one.

Also hoping that more people come around and get vaccinated, because that's the only way we're going to end this, or at least get it to the point where it's manageable.
I called Walgreens the other day and one of the first things I heard from the recording was that the booster was available, no appointment necessary.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:34 AM   #56

We have both been vaccinated. In our home base when not traveling, all of our relatives have been vaccinated, other than a few nieces and nephews that are too young to get the vaccine.

If we are around family that has been 100% vaccinated we don't wear masks, but we do practice social distancing (minimal loose hugs, no kisses, lots of hand washing). If around the unvaccinated children we will wear masks unless eating, and avoid any touching including hugs.

Currently with the Delta variant we wear masks 100% of the time when in a structure other than our motorhome, including prior to entry and until we are clear of the exit. This is to minimize impact on the unvaccinated from any virus we may be carrying.

Wear a mask to protect someone else from wearing a ventilator.
hilgert is offline   Reply
Closed Thread