Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #15

Whether the hospitals are right or wrong in the firings does not make those treated any safer by putting in large amounts of Temp staff. In Gary's state one health care operator is at odds with 32,000 employees over spouses. Where do you think they could find half that amount of qualified people? Multiply that by each other state, it leaves us very susceptible to heathcare errors
Dieselgem is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #16

I am just hoping that I am very wrong!
Dieselgem is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 01:32 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Please read this.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f296/rem...um-554213.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
My daughter is a labor and delivery nurse. Her hospital required vaccinations for all staff. Out of her 11 nurse unit, 3 are saying they won’t get it. She is worried about the OT she will have to have after the 1 November due date. However the stories coming out of other hospitals show that many complain but a minuscule % actually refuse in the end. She believes most of her fellow nurses will end up getting it, especially since they have seen the horrors of COVID in a pregnant patient. I do believe the entire thing is hyped up for political reasons. That being said, snowbird locations have ALWAYS had a shortage of health care practitioners in the winter. Case in point, I had a bad fall in Quartzsite a couple of years ago. My hand needed stitches, and I needed X-rays for my knee and elbow. It took heading 45 minutes away to wait for hours in an over crowded ER. Hospitals and clinics just can’t staff for seasonal surges enough.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #19

The improving news is that Covid hospitalizations are trending downward in a number of states and counties; unfortunately still rising in others...

But... if you need to make extensive plans for emergency medical care for a known condition, your travel plans may be incompatible with your health care needs considering the current status of hospital and E.R. capacity.

That said, employers are free to set the conditions and terms of employment. Employees who do not meet those conditions for arbitrary reasons and reject mitigation or accommodation have, in essence, told their employer "I quit." It's called "at-will employment" and absent either a personal services contract or collective bargaining agreement, it's the law in many states. It's a labor relations issue fueled by manipulative social media posts that exploit exhausted workers who don't have the time to do their own research and simply glance at FB or Twitter.

Finally, this too shall pass. We've had 19 months of change and upset; getting the train back on the track is not instant and there will be further issues before it happens.

Keep your meds stocked and your list of facilities. If you show up in an ER with a problem, there's still a very good chance you'll be seeing a NP, PA or MD in fairly short order in many places.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:44 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
"your travel plans may be incompatible with your health care needs considering the current status of hospital and E.R. capacity"...

"there's still a very good chance"...

"in fairly short order"...

"in many places"...

"Good luck"...

The last statement says it all.

Dios ayudanos.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #21

Spartan Chassis
Let me tell you about my friend Don. He was in his 80s and got the vaccination right away, and died from Covid 3 months later. Don't let fear of the"what ifs" rob you of life's joy. But I speak as one who isn't afraid of death because my eternity is secured.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Let me tell you about my friend Don. He was in his 80s and got the vaccination right away, and died from Covid 3 months later. Don't let fear of the"what ifs" rob you of life's joy. But I speak as one who isn't afraid of death because my eternity is secured.

Amen brother.
Rob_M is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
Chuck in the 32 years we've been in Florida the traveling folks have been fine. Likewise it's been the same in PA. But this is very different, we are talking hospitals losing a big part of regular staff. Not just supplementing due to seasonal changes. Good trained medical staff is at a premium. I just really believe the quality of the care will be severely impacted by a large shift in regular staff for temp help.
Medical personnel are all trained in the same way. They do procedures the same way.

I wouldn't be concerned.
twogypsies is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Medical personnel are all trained in the same way. They do procedures the same way.

I wouldn't be concerned.
Agree. There are a lot of locum doctors (the equivalent of a traveling nurse) because they like travel, want to pay down truly obscene educational debt, decided they don’t want a single practice, etc. And travel nurses have been around for many, many years following the weather just like we do. There are more of them now because salaries are high due to high demand. My daughter said if she didn’t have a husband and kids she would join them! All medical folks have to pass certification requirements.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2021, 07:57 AM   #25

First let me get this part out of the way , I am not anti-vax and my decision to not get the shot is not political , It doesn't matter what party is running the country we were not getting the shot either way , there is just too many unknowns at this point and not enough information to make me comfortable in taking the shot especially now knowing that there are effective therapeutics out there to treat this virus . My son , who is also an Army Veteran lost his job at a hospital in upstate NY , he was medically exempted from the Pfizer and moderna vaccine so that left J&J which he refused due to being treated for a heart issue and his own doctor told him not to take it . The hospital panel didn't care , he was told to get the shot .
He was in the trenches from day 1 of this debacle risking it everyday and getting the pink slip was his reward .... the best part of this story is he was fired on a friday and had another job on the following tuesday for more money , less stress and better benefits so it all worked out for the better , funny how it happens like that in life .
Defiant530 is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #26

So, I'm in healthcare... In our hospital, like most, only 60% of healthcare workers voluntarily got the shot in the first 6 months it was available...

We can leave the politics out of it. But for those that are blindly pursuing the COVID vaccine, food for thought:

1) If 40% of health care providers had to be coerced to get the vaccine, why do you think that might be?
2) If doctors and nurses are willing to quit, rather than get the vaccine, why do you think that might be?

The COVID vaccine does have serious potential side effects, that we see folks getting every day.

If 40% of mechanics didn't want to use a certain oil in their car, would that raise an eyebrow?

If 40% of employees at the grocery store didnt want to buy certain milk products, but 60% thought they were great... would you eat/drink it?

Not saying the vaccine is bad, its a good thing. But be aware, there are side effects and unknowns...
bpu699 is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #27
Community Administrator

This thread is now closed. See post #17

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
safety