Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #1

New Mexico - Does traveling in an RV constitute a self-quarantine?

As I understand it, NM requires all travelers to quarantine for 14 days upon entry. It would seem to me that living in an RV constitutes a very effective self-quarantine. Has anyone traveled in NM since they imposed this rule and if so what was your experience? Are they actively enforcing this rule? Thanks
wilee0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #2

https://www.newmexico.org/covid-19-t...r-information/

Just do it....simple
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilee0616 View Post
As I understand it, NM requires all travelers to quarantine for 14 days upon entry. It would seem to me that living in an RV constitutes a very effective self-quarantine. Has anyone traveled in NM since they imposed this rule and if so what was your experience? Are they actively enforcing this rule? Thanks

Yes, you can quarantine in your RV. We spent two months this summer in NM under this restriction and were advised to do our grocery shopping before entering the state. Just stopped in (greater) Muleshoe Texas to re provision, stopped once for fuel in NM and proceeded as usual to our NM destination and pretty much stayed isolated for two weeks. Yes, did a few hikes, but never closer than 100' from others and did no shopping/restaurants, etc during that time.

And, as already stated, if just passing through, no issues-- you are welcome to stop of fuel, but not for restaurants, shopping, etc.

No idea how strict enforcement is-- probably depends on the location, severity of COVID spread there and your behavior. All reasonable IMO.

I can tell you that the restriction appeared to be effective. In Angel Fire where we were, through early September when we left, there were zero cases of community spread COVID in the county. The few cases they had were visitors who came in infected and were diagnosed there.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #4

Also be advised that the Navajo and other nations make their own rules. They are getting hit very hard by covid, and the reservations may be under curfew or completely shut down at times. Check ahead if you need to pass through tribal land.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #5

"Traveling" is not part of quarantine, stationary in one place and no contact with others is quarantine. The entire purpose is to prevent spreading any illness to other parts of the community or other areas of the country.
Some may disagree, that is their opinion, mine was just stated.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
Also be advised that the Navajo and other nations make their own rules. They are getting hit very hard by covid, and the reservations may be under curfew or completely shut down at times. Check ahead if you need to pass through tribal land.

Correct. Look at the number of roads into reservations that are closed (except to local residents): https://nmroads.com/mapIndex.html?#

Many of those reservations had no/restricted entry this summer when we were in Northern NM.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
"Traveling" is not part of quarantine, stationary in one place and no contact with others is quarantine. The entire purpose is to prevent spreading any illness to other parts of the community or other areas of the country.
Some may disagree, that is their opinion, mine was just stated.
While I tend to agree with Ray's position as the best approach, the New Mexico Travel Advisory FAQ makes specific allowance for RV and other travel into and through the state. They require quarantine, but specifically allow travel with multiple stops within the state as long as you follow their requirements for isolation from other people.

I reached this FAQ link by following Old Biscuit's link, https://www.newmexico.org/industry/r...19-impact-faq/
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
While I tend to agree with Ray's position as the best approach, the New Mexico Travel Advisory FAQ makes specific allowance for RV and other travel into and through the state. They require quarantine, but specifically allow travel with multiple stops within the state as long as you follow their requirements for isolation from other people.

I reached this FAQ link by following Old Biscuit's link, https://www.newmexico.org/industry/r...19-impact-faq/
A quote from your link:
"Does that apply to people in RV’s as well?
Yes. Travelers must self-quarantine wherever they are staying."

I take that to be a continuation of the 14 days quarantine or be traveling in-state for less than 14 days.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 12-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A quote from your link:
"Does that apply to people in RV’s as well?
Yes. Travelers must self-quarantine wherever they are staying."

I take that to be a continuation of the 14 days quarantine or be traveling in-state for less than 14 days.
Ray, just want to clarify New Mexico's expectation/definition of self-quarantine, which from their travel advisory website, appears slightly different than yours.

You wrote: "Traveling" is not part of quarantine, stationary in one place and no contact with others is quarantine.

Per the website I linked, they do allow for travel from place to place, as Wolfe described, as long as you maintain their expectations for self-quarantine, which are basically to avoid contact with people and perform only "essential" activities. There may be room for interpretation, but reading all their FAQ's as a whole, it is clear that RV travel is allowed as long as you quarantine yourself to your RV, wherever you are stopping for the night. I think the following quote/example they provide would apply.

Question: What if travelers are simply passing through New Mexico to get to another destination in a different state?

Answer: "This is not a time to shop for souvenirs, visit state parks or sightsee. Please recognize that if you are traveling amid a global pandemic you are bringing the risk of a highly contagious and lethal virus with you and taking it with you as you go. You must wear a face-covering if you are in public while in the state. Please limit your activities to only the essentials."
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Ray, just want to clarify New Mexico's expectation/definition of self-quarantine, which from their travel advisory website, appears slightly different than yours.

You wrote: "Traveling" is not part of quarantine, stationary in one place and no contact with others is quarantine.

Per the website I linked, they do allow for travel from place to place, as Wolfe described, as long as you maintain their expectations for self-quarantine, which are basically to avoid contact with people and perform only "essential" activities. There may be room for interpretation, but reading all their FAQ's as a whole, it is clear that RV travel is allowed as long as you quarantine yourself to your RV, wherever you are stopping for the night. I think the following quote/example they provide would apply.

Question: What if travelers are simply passing through New Mexico to get to another destination in a different state?

Answer: "This is not a time to shop for souvenirs, visit state parks or sightsee. Please recognize that if you are traveling amid a global pandemic you are bringing the risk of a highly contagious and lethal virus with you and taking it with you as you go. You must wear a face-covering if you are in public while in the state. Please limit your activities to only the essentials."
We agree.

Tags
travel