Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
That's because nobody wants to stand in line at HomeDepot to get in, and then stand in line to check out.

Plenty of other beaches in Florida still open. Apparently in Jacksonville they think the virus is more active from 11 AM until 5 PM because the beaches are still closed during those hours.
Home Depot has curbside pick up. I've used it twice. Zero contact except for the person taking my name.
Order online, they text you when the order's ready, drive down, park in designated spot, wait for your order to be brought out to your vehicle.
1st time my order was ready in 20 mins. 2nd time it took 2 hrs. Wait time at the store is about 10 mins. I sit in my truck with zero contact except for telling the HD lady my order#.
someone brings the order out and leaves the cart for me to load in my truck.

I sat in my truck and watched the line that is at a min 20 mins long move slowing towards the entrance.

Can't be any easier.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Please provide the link where Fox makes this claim. Who is John Oliver?

Nick

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/17/dr-...g-pool-deaths/
Old 04-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #17

Personal non-expert opinion: Especially at the state level, our politicians have been "captured" by their so-called public health experts, and they have allowed themselves to be backed into a corner with these overly extreme, contradictory and often confusing restrictions. Now they can't see a way out without admitting they may have been just plain wrong. In the meantime, they have all but destroyed the economy, and people's lives. Not to mention the Bill of Rights.

Don't get me wrong, there are places like New York City that are in real trouble. And nursing homes, etc., caring for especially vulnerable elderly persons are a real problem. (I'm right in the target zone for this thing: age 70 and diabetic.)

What is being done to our economy looks to me like using a hydrogen bomb to swat a freakin' fly.

BTW, remember that the early doomsday death toll predictions of 2.2 million Americans were based on totally unfounded assumptions. I read that College of London report, which has largely been discredited for just that reason.

My concern is that the extreme measures may turn out to have far worse effects than the disease itself.

In the meantime, DW and I are staying as safe as we can, with social distancing, face masks and frequent hand washing.

Blessings, and stay safe.

Roger
Old 04-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #18

ZERO contact??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Home Depot has curbside pick up. I've used it twice. Zero contact except for the person taking my name.
Order online, they text you when the order's ready, drive down, park in designated spot, wait for your order to be brought out to your vehicle.
1st time my order was ready in 20 mins. 2nd time it took 2 hrs. Wait time at the store is about 10 mins. I sit in my truck with zero contact except for telling the HD lady my order#.
someone brings the order out and leaves the cart for me to load in my truck.

I sat in my truck and watched the line that is at a min 20 mins long move slowing towards the entrance.

Can't be any easier.
How is this (zero contact??) Zero contact, is it,, was it,, made out of thin air, and transported out of thin air, and placed on shelf, then placed in basket, then was checked out, then delivered to you, out of thin air.
This is nuts, and most of you people are going off about nothing to do with the OP's original post.
Please, no harm intended.
I got a pizza yesterday, the box had to be touched at least 4 times before I got it, I had to do outside pickup, delivered by hand, by a person with no gloves or mask, that walked right up to me. I don't have a problem, with it, but its nuts, and overkill.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #19

We would like to visit with our family again. My wife has been doing the grocery shopping and errands for her parents, but has had no contact with them. Just leaves the items outside. FIL has COPD and is on oxygen, plus is also having progressively worsening dementia. MIL is very stressed having to care for him constantly. He fell last week in the house and cracked a couple ribs.

We would also like to visit our son, who has been struggling to recover from the virus. We have other family members nearby as well that we haven't been able to visit with since we're both in the age range considered high risk.

Other than groceries we haven't shopped, nor do we miss it all that much. Maybe if we had an urgent need for a repair item it would be different. We had some travel plans, but nothing that can't wait. We had some nice trips last year so missing a year is no big deal.

Even when some things get opened, places like bars, restaurants, theaters, etc., that have crowded conditions in confined spaces, may continue to struggle.

My hope is that as things open up, the virus cases and deaths don't spike up.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
We will follow the recommendations of the CDC and the scientists, not the politicians.
Same here.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #21

Im responding to the (original) post, of opening up, what are you going to do.
Im a winter Texan right now. I have paid in full, a seasonal spot in my northern MN hometown, for 2nd week in May.
I will make calls, to see if open and what local corvid (advised) rules are.
Its 1,560 miles and so far, have called a few places to stop for the night or nights, and they are open and fine. Ill call again just before leaving to make sure.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
baraff,

Following our so called scientist is what has gotten us into this closure. First they informed us that it was no big deal; nothing to worry about; less contagious than the common flu.

Now these same medical professionals tell us we can't open the nation up unless we have a vaccination, .....
Huh? FOX were the ones saying it was all a hoax.. backing their leader. I never heard medical professionals say we can't open up until the vaccination.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #23

Quote:
baraff,

Following our so called scientist is what has gotten us into this closure. First they informed us that it was no big deal; nothing to worry about; less contagious than the common flu. That's the only thing they've said that has been true.
Under pressure they came out and told us over 1 million Americans would die if we didn't lock down and even then we would see over 250,000 Americans die. Missed it big time!!!!!!
The only person I heard with similar comments was not a scientist.

I guess it depends on where you get your information.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post

I do not consider Fox news a reliable source. I checked their claim that 300000 people die in swimming pools every year.
Fox News did not report that as news. An opinion segment on Fox News interviewed someone who made those claims. Fox News themselves did not.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #25

Interesting conversation, it seems to me based a lot on political affiliation.

I read an interesting article by a doctor a day or so ago that basically said we would be safe when we all develop an immunity by either contacting the virus directly or through a vaccine. That seemed to make sense to me. I hope the vaccine is developed soon. Until then we will go along with the guidelines and be as careful as possible, but life does go on and there are necessities.

I think (hope) that our politicians are accepting and acting on the advice of "experts" in the different applicable fields, and I think many of them are. I think we are where we are because of that, and in the interest of saving lives. I just wish more was known about the "beast".

We're still planning on a "somewhat toward Fall" trip from OR to WV and back this year, in order to see the leaves turn back there. Hopefully, most of this will have subsided by then.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
Old 04-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
twogypsies

NO! You're wrong. Dr. Fauci said it multiple times in February. He also said it was not transferable from humans and that if you're young go on that cruise.

Dr. Fauci changes his mind almost daily and the talking heads just repeat it as if its gospel.

COVID 19 is no different from the normal flu. The number infected in the US is less than that of the normal flu for which we have a vaccine and the death totals are less than 1.5% which will drop when the true results of who has had it and survived.

Look at the numbers and what these talking heads are not saying. There are many medical sites, including the CDC where one can SEE the results and do the math yourself.

COVID 19 is a SARS virus and viruses are transmitted the same way:. i.e. through bodily fluids, contact, and the air. If you are around someone who is active (and most don't know they are contagious until its too late) or handled contaminated surfaces and touch your face, lips, nose, or eyes you've got it. How sick you get is determined by how strong your immune system is.

Look at the facts and live life - Richard
Old 04-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dix39

QUOTE: "I read an interesting article by a doctor a day or so ago that basically said we would be safe when we all develop an immunity by either contacting the virus or through a vaccine. That seemed to make sense to me. I hope the vaccine is developed soon."

Consider, COVID 19 is a SARS virus; the flu is a virus; the cold is a virus. We have an annual vaccine for the flu yet we see thousands die annually of the flu because they mutate annually. This C-19, if it doesn't die out on its own as the SARS did 11 years ago it will show up again but it will be mutated. Any vaccine they create will maybe lessen the side effects of the disease but many will become infected and unfortunately many will die UNLESS everyone locks themselves in their house/RV and I'm not even sure that would work unless you have several month's of supplies on hand way before they say its here.

Any vaccine developed still requires two 12 month trials and very timely FDA review of the first before the 2nd can be conducted unless they reduce the timeline.

Moving on and heading down the road SOON I hope - Stay safe - Richard
Old 04-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
baraff,

Following our so called scientist is what has gotten us into this closure. First they informed us that it was no big deal; nothing to worry about; less contagious than the common flu. That's the only thing they've said that has been true.
Under pressure they came out and told us over 1 million Americans would die if we didn't lock down and even then we would see over 250,000 Americans die. Missed it big time!!!!!!

Medical professionals are now questioning the use of ventilators in ICU and reporting that more than 50% of deaths are directly related to the use of them and that 80% of all patients on them are expected to die.

CDC infection rates and reported deaths (which are grossly inflated) due to COVID-19 are BELOW those for the common flu for which we have vaccinations.

Now these same medical professionals tell us we can't open the nation up unless we have a vaccination, which their best estimate is 12 months but the FDA regulations require two 12 month human trials with each receiving FDA approval which lengthens the timeline to almost 36 months. Just like the SARS epidemic vaccine work stopped after 12 months because it had passed.

For me and mine, we will continue to protect ourselves, probably using masks when out in public during high infection periods just as we do with the normal flu precautions, stay away from sick people as best we can, wash our hands often.

As for me and my house we will continue to be careful BUT the minute travel restrictions are lifted I'm hitting the road, which I hope will not be too long.

Drive safe and Enjoy - Richard
This I can agree with. I don't consider NPR any more reliable than Fox. I trust TMZ more than the big networks. In the end, I am responsible for Me. When things open up I don't plan on being the first one in the door.

This thing is just perfect, predict a huge number to die so you shut everything down. Then they don't die and you take credit for shutting it down to save all the lives. Now that proves that shutting it all down worked. Not that it was all bogus. I am sad for those that have lost their lives just as many do every year from the flu. But this year I am also sorry for those that have lost everything they have worked many years for. We will get through this and many more will still die. You, are responsible for You. Act wisely. The days of a handshake and a hug are over.

We all have to get released so we can get captured again in the fall.

In a chance meeting with a Dr of a large near hospital that just received the OK for antibody testing I told him my symptoms in January and he said I probably had it, as did many of my friends and neighbors.
Closed Thread