Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2020, 06:12 AM   #1

Opening up, what are you going to do?

With pressure from their states residences, some perhaps many state governors are considering opening up their states. Allowing non-essential business’s to open but suggesting continuing social distancing.
I woke up yesterday with a toilet leaking at the base, failed wax seal. I went to my neighborhood Lowes at about 2pm and you would think they were giving away free grills or something it was so crowded. I wore my mask but few others did. Recommended social distancing was impossible to practice, too many people.

Florida has opened up Jacksonville Beach, but to my knowledge no others are open, but they will soon. Florida has cancelled school for the remained of this year, a no brainer with only a month left.

I predict under pressure many governors will open up their states to normal business by May 1st with recommendations to practice social distancing and wear a mask. Public parks will soon follow.
I have booked reservations for RV parks from late July to September. I’m waiting for Cuomo to open up the NY park reservation system. It’s not possible to make reservations for anytime at NY parks right now. I’m interested in the Finger Lakes region not the city.

What are you going to do when your governor opens up your state for business? Are you going to restaurants, perhaps a bar, maybe the beach, book a public park, meet with friends, Walmart? How long will you wait to do this?

I live in a county in FL with confirmed cases (as of Monday morning) of C-19 of 205, and 3 deaths, out of a population of 554,000. The confirmed cases does not of course reflect how many people are contagious with C-19 which may be many more, no one really knows. In the last 4 weeks I’ve been to stores maybe 4 times. What is the likelihood of coming in contact with someone who has C-19. Impossible to predict, but probably with the numbers above, not probable.

Anyway have you given this some thought and if so what are your plans when your state hangs out the “open for business” signs. Will you consider your age or other health related issues in deciding?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2020, 06:20 AM   #2

We plan to practice social distance and frequent hand washing, just like we would do during any flu outbreak. Otherwise, life should go back to normal for us as long as we don't have any underlying health issues.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We will follow the recommendations of the CDC and the scientists, not the politicians.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #4

Actually the first estimates of what your probability of encountering a person with covid are beginning to come in. Boston hospital did a quick test. The tested 200 people walking past the hospital and found around 30% had or had recovered from covid.

When that number reaches 80% we are within 2 weeks of cautiously breaking quarantine.

I do carefully vet my sources and am always ready to revise my plans on new evidence.

I do not consider Fox news a reliable source. I checked their claim that 300000 people die in swimming pools every year. (Actually John Oliver's staff checked the claim). The numbers he found were closer to 4000. I do consider John Oliver to be a much better source, but even he agrees he is not the best source for mortality data. The CDC is a good source, but caution is now required because Trump fires Federal civil servants if they disagree with him. Checking out CDC claims against other reliable sources is now called for.
I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Old 04-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #5

X2. But will tend to still be more conservative due to age.

"There's no cure for the common birthday" (John Glenn on his retirement from Congress to be a senior astronaut)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
We will follow the recommendations of the CDC and the scientists, not the politicians.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
Old 04-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Actually the first estimates of what your probability of encountering a person with covid are beginning to come in. Boston hospital did a quick test. The tested 200 people walking past the hospital and found around 30% had or had recovered from covid.

Perhaps the preliminary data from Boston reflects the chances of encountering a person with C-19 in a densely populated area. It would be interesting to see data like that from mid size cities.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
Old 04-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #7

The difference between Lowes and Home Depot is Lowes lets everyone in and Home Depot has occupancy limits. Each store, each state, each Gov is going to react differently on how they intend to reopen.
I highly doubt that very many states open up much on May 1st. The big issue is PPE. My state has plenty of beds and ventilators but not enough test kits and PPE. When things do open up there will be a higher demand for PPE. It's one of the 5 parts in my states requirements for opening back up.

As for me, I'm 67 and have borderline underlying conditions but am not obese. I'm in pretty good shape as far as being able to hike, mtn bike, road bike and do just about anything. I've read a few stories about men younger than me in better shape getting hammered by Covid. Age is a big factor as is health IMO. I still go out about 3 times a week for shopping. I do wear a mask and find it's about 30/70 in favor of wearing masks where I live.
If a miracle were to happen and everything opened back up I'd still practice social distancing and wear a mask. The virus is still very lethal right now so just because businesses open up doesn't mean the virus is gone.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:

When that number reaches 80% we are within 2 weeks of cautiously breaking quarantine.

I do carefully vet my sources and am always ready to revise my plans on new evidence.

I do not consider Fox news a reliable source. I checked their claim that 300000 people die in swimming pools every year. (Actually John Oliver's staff checked the claim). The numbers he found were closer to 4000. I do consider John Oliver to be a much better source, but even he agrees he is not the best source for mortality data. The CDC is a good source, but caution is now required because Trump fires Federal civil servants if they disagree with him. Checking out CDC claims against other reliable sources is now called for.
Please stay home indefinitely.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Please provide the link where Fox makes this claim. Who is John Oliver?

Nick
Old 04-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I woke up yesterday with a toilet leaking at the base, failed wax seal. I went to my neighborhood Lowes at about 2pm and you would think they were giving away free grills or something it was so crowded. I wore my mask but few others did. Recommended social distancing was impossible to practice, too many people.
That's because nobody wants to stand in line at HomeDepot to get in, and then stand in line to check out.

Plenty of other beaches in Florida still open. Apparently in Jacksonville they think the virus is more active from 11 AM until 5 PM because the beaches are still closed during those hours.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
........ Who is John Oliver?

Nick
John Oliver is a British comedian and a former writer for "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" that now has his own show on HBO, "Last Week Tonight", which is a satirical view of the week's news. I'm not sure I'd call it a reliable news source.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #12

The pressure to reopen not real, unless you consider the yahoos gathering for the cameras are representative of the masses.

We are waiting until later in the summer when hopefully masks are available to the general public and some local attractions are open.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
John Oliver is a British comedian and a former writer for "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" that now has his own show on HBO, "Last Week Tonight", which is a satirical view of the week's news. I'm not sure I'd call it a reliable news source.
There are a lot of those, some are networks.

For a number of years comedians have been very good at providing a good source of information for people who don't watch the regular news.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
baraff,

Following our so called scientist is what has gotten us into this closure. First they informed us that it was no big deal; nothing to worry about; less contagious than the common flu. That's the only thing they've said that has been true.
Under pressure they came out and told us over 1 million Americans would die if we didn't lock down and even then we would see over 250,000 Americans die. Missed it big time!!!!!!

Medical professionals are now questioning the use of ventilators in ICU and reporting that more than 50% of deaths are directly related to the use of them and that 80% of all patients on them are expected to die.

CDC infection rates and reported deaths (which are grossly inflated) due to COVID-19 are BELOW those for the common flu for which we have vaccinations.

Now these same medical professionals tell us we can't open the nation up unless we have a vaccination, which their best estimate is 12 months but the FDA regulations require two 12 month human trials with each receiving FDA approval which lengthens the timeline to almost 36 months. Just like the SARS epidemic vaccine work stopped after 12 months because it had passed.

For me and mine, we will continue to protect ourselves, probably using masks when out in public during high infection periods just as we do with the normal flu precautions, stay away from sick people as best we can, wash our hands often.

As for me and my house we will continue to be careful BUT the minute travel restrictions are lifted I'm hitting the road, which I hope will not be too long.

Drive safe and Enjoy - Richard