Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:07 AM   #1

Outdoor interactions while camping.

Wow Freedom at last! According to the NewYork Times there is not a single provable instance of out door transmission of the virus through casual contact. Read it for yourself. Go back to Living Free and enjoying the RV life.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 04:45 AM   #2

This was known a year ago, and now that the NY Times reported it, we're free to leave off our masks outside ?

Probably not going to happen for months.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #3

Several other publications reported it long, long ago.

I think one of the Atlantic articles in my post brought up how much easier this would have been on all of us if the lack of outdoor spread had been recognized much earlier and a bit more normalcy brought to our lives had outdoor activities been promoted instead of shut down.

Hard to say if it would. have helped or hurt. There's a whole faction of people that would have decided they didn't need to mask up anywhere.

I could have appeared as just another inconsistency in recommendations, rather that the result of further understanding of the virus.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I agree. Anything stated by the media or bobbleheads with no/limited medical experience has no credibility in my books. Medical experts, yes. Last I read yesterday was new cases were still occurring at 40,000+ "daily". To rich for my blood to now throw caution to the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
This was known a year ago, and now that the NY Times reported it, we're free to leave off our masks outside ?

Probably not going to happen for months.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I agree. Anything stated by the media or bobbleheads with no/limited medical experience has no credibility in my books. Medical experts, yes. Last I read yesterday was new cases were still occurring at 40,000+ "daily". To rich for my blood to now throw caution to the wind.
Stay cautious, no harm in that. Just donít project your fears on others who may me less cautious. Many examples out there where States are winning the COVID-19 battle while eliminating unnecessary restrictions.

Enjoying the Great outdoors is one of the healthiest activities we can do for ourselves.

J.J.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #6

We played football, baseball, lacrosse, track, softball, and soccer in Utah. No outbreaks at or from any of those events.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Wow Freedom at last! According to the NewYork Times there is not a single provable instance of out door transmission of the virus through casual contact. Read it for yourself. Go back to Living Free and enjoying the RV life.
Except maybe Dr Carson at the rallie, and what about the 6 to 8 at the rose garden. But is it provable?? Or would a reasonable person accept it's not provable but a very high degree or certainty it was outdoor transmission?

We feel more comfortable outside. But we still use caution. We always talked to people outside but keep our distance. DW can't get the vaccine so we are careful.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #8

I have had both Vaccine shots
I wear a mask when shopping/post office/indoors where FOLKS are
I do not wear a mask in my yard.....or when having conversations with neighbors outside
I would wear a mask if at an outdoor event where FOLKS are

I will continue to wear a mask when seeing Doctors/Blood Labs etc until They no longer greet me wearing a mask

I also Wash my Hands just like Mama taught me many many years ago

I don't need any 'News' (hahaha) Outlet to inform me of what I can/should do
My common sense and life experiences are WAY more reliable then some 'News' (hahaha) Outlet that are nothing more then Idiot Talking Heads
Old 05-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Except maybe Dr Carson at the rallie, and what about the 6 to 8 at the rose garden. But is it provable?? Or would a reasonable person accept it's not provable but a very high degree or certainty it was outdoor transmission?

We feel more comfortable outside. But we still use caution. We always talked to people outside but keep our distance. DW can't get the vaccine so we are careful.
I think you mean Herman Cain, and he was at a packed indoor rally that lasted hours. And the Rose Garden event also had in inside event afterwards, where no one was wearing a mask. Most likely that's where they passed the virus.

I haven't been worried about outside since it began really, but just try to keep some distance and not stay in close or long proximity with any strangers.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #10

- to employ a little critical thinking ....
-Covid is spread by inhaling droplets from an infected person
-If one is outside and right beside an infected person who sneezes and the
wind isnt blowing, common sense says your likely to inhale droplets and
thus get exposed
- thus ... again ... employing critical thinking & common sense
- if one is at a windy beach ... the likely hood of infection would be very very
low
- if one were spread out playing in a cricket game, again the likelihood is
very very low
- if your at outside at an amphitheater concert sitting shoulder to shoulder
with little wind, it is possible to get exposed
- if your outside hiking a trail and someone walking in the opposite direction
who is infected sneezes on you as they walk by ... your very likely to be
exposed
- so my thinking says that being outside dramatically reduced the probability
but doesn't eliminate it and the specific nature of the event determines the
risk, but even in the best situation you could be exposed by someone who
sneezes right in your face. (has happened to me)
- people who have been vaccinated have the antibodies to fight off an
exposure. it you're exposed the antibodies will go to work and minimize
the infection. you can still get infected and still spread it but the infection
will
be minimized and stopped quickly
Old 05-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I have had both Vaccine shots
I wear a mask when shopping/post office/indoors where FOLKS are
I do not wear a mask in my yard.....or when having conversations with neighbors outside
I would wear a mask if at an outdoor event where FOLKS are

I will continue to wear a mask when seeing Doctors/Blood Labs etc until They no longer greet me wearing a mask

I also Wash my Hands just like Mama taught me many many years ago

I don't need any 'News' (hahaha) Outlet to inform me of what I can/should do
My common sense and life experiences are WAY more reliable then some 'News' (hahaha) Outlet that are nothing more then Idiot Talking Heads

Do you do not believe the shot offers you protection? You received it, so I would assume you believe it works? I do not understand the rationale to continue the precautions if you are protected?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #12

Had an interesting day, I work in people's homes, so I've basically been off for the past year. I've done a couple jobs, but have worn a mask as did the customer when I did so. Today the customer was fully vaccinated since January, and I've been fully vaccinated since early March, so we both talked and decided we don't need to wear masks while I worked in her home. By the way it was a new install dishwasher. She'd never had one before, and I did the entire job in about 3 hours. It was kind of nice not to have to wear a mask. Also was nice to do some work again!

But after I left I stopped at several stores on the way home, and I put a mask on when I went in, because it's just the right thing to do still. Most stores still want us to wear a mask, and I have no problem at all doing that. That said, I just heard that Trader Joe's are going to allow people in without a mask as long as they're vaccinated, but they're not going to ask for any proof. At least for now, I'm still going to wear a mask in there. Just out of consideration for the employees, because they don't know who's vaccinated or not.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:03 AM   #13

I can just see the non-believers shedding their masks now and lying that they're vaccinated. Who's to know? Except in a few weeks when the cases start rising again. What a mess we're in!
Old 05-15-2021, 12:31 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
Do you do not believe the shot offers you protection? You received it, so I would assume you believe it works? I do not understand the rationale to continue the precautions if you are protected?
The last sentence of the post by swduns just prior to yours sums it up pretty good:

"you can still get infected and still spread it but the infection will be minimized"

Being vaccinated does significantly reduce, but does not completely eliminate the possibility of you being infected and passing it on to others who have not been vaccinated and are more susceptible to infection. Just the latest example is Bill Maher announcing this week he tested positive during the weekly PCR testing for his show even though he is fully vaccinated.

The rationale is not knowing who is and isn't vaccinated and therefore some circumstances will remain for the time being where it's appropriate and necessary to continue on with masking and social distancing in order to reduce the risk for those who can't (or won't) get vaccinated. I'm glad to see the revised guidance for those who are vaccinated and I will take advantage of it when it's appropriate. I also have no problem continuing on with the recommendations that include masking and social distancing when indoors or in other situations where social distancing is difficult because it's not just about me, it's about everyone around me that I come in contact with.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
Closed Thread

Tags
camping, door