Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
This discussion reminds me of something I heard many years ago.

Driving with the flu impairs your driving skill as much as much as being intoxicated.

I have had to keep going a few times with the flu because of family emergencies. It does not affect your judgement like booze.

Experience tells me to park the MH if not feeling good.
Also... almost any OTC cold or allergy remedy that has the word "nighttime" in the name will impair operators similarly to alcohol: pilots studied after use showed impairment even though they were 8 or more hours from dosing. The impairment was measurable for 24 hours.

I'd discounted the effect of illness on driving ability, thanks for posting this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Not a bad plan, but as others have said, the booster's effectiveness won't kick in till two weeks after the shot has been administered, so you're still roughly at the same protection level you were before the shot.

I leave the adult decisions of to get or not to get to folks individual judgements, but just recommend scheduling doing it at least three weeks before your departure date, that way you will have a chance for your immune system to ramp up antibody production to the expected levels, and have a buffer to handle any immune response symptoms that might come from the shot.

I doubt I will be getting the booster soon, simply because I'm not within one of the groups that would be considered for the Pfizer booster at the moment, but for me, I had an inflammation reaction to the second shot, where everything joint wise ached and the digestive inflammation issues I have flared up for a time.

It took about two weeks or so before those symptoms started to ease to where I was feeling moderately normal again.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply
Old 10-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #17

We're waiting for the Moderna. From what I've read about the lasting effectiveness of the Moderna vaccine, I'm not worried about waiting. I'm leave for conference on Thursday, small group all the usual precautions. We'll get our boosters sometime after I return home and a few weeks before our December trip. I am going tomorrow for my flu shot. I know it is late for the conference, but I need to get it.

DH and I had a slightly sore arms after his two shots. I had a nagging headache for about a day following my shots. The senior flu shot knocks me on my butt! Last one put me down for about 3 days.
Charming is offline   Reply
Old 10-18-2021, 04:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
We're waiting for the Moderna. From what I've read about the lasting effectiveness of the Moderna vaccine, I'm not worried about waiting. I'm leave for conference on Thursday, small group all the usual precautions. We'll get our boosters sometime after I return home and a few weeks before our December trip. I am going tomorrow for my flu shot. I know it is late for the conference, but I need to get it.

DH and I had a slightly sore arms after his two shots. I had a nagging headache for about a day following my shots. The senior flu shot knocks me on my butt! Last one put me down for about 3 days.
I was going on a short trip and my Pfizer booster was no more than a sore arm. Less problems than my 2nd shot as I recall. I did put off my flu shot a week because the flu shot last year had me feeling really bad for 2 or 3 days last year. This year it was just a sore arm. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason as to which shot will impact your travels.

The Shingles vaccine was a different story. First shot I felt bad for a few days. 2nd shot I had fever and aches and was basically in bed for 2 days. I'd still take it again, just not if I had anything planned for the next few days.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply
Old 10-18-2021, 10:47 PM   #19

I got a Pfizer booster on Saturday. I got shots #1 & #2 in January because I work with a high risk population and the local health department moved me to the front of the line. They did it again on Friday by calling my office and asking how soon I wanted to get the booster.

I had a little soreness though Sunday and a bit of a headache that might have been stress related. Either way, the protection is well worth a little temporary discomfort.
rlmesq is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 10:25 AM   #20
IC2

We get our Moderna booster shots on the 31st so no trips planned for a while. The last two regular shots were feeling poorly for a few hours after the first and barely noticed the second with zero arm pain either time. ope this next is so inconsequential as far as how we feel afterwards.
IC2 is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #21

No trips planned for the near future but wife and I just got our Moderna booster vaccine. Glad that they are available and have no problem if they are required every so many months.
Funengineer is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #22

When we got our booster shot, I was complaining to my wife of 48 years how much my arm hurt. Holding it and rubbing it I was hoping for a little TLC. "You goofs'" she said "you got the shot in the other arm"! Sometimes the "best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry".
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #23

We got our Moderna boosters day before yesterday. Yesterday, we had sore arms and felt a little fatigued and achy. But today, we're fine. The injection site on the arm is still a little sore, but not much. Otherwise, we are back to normal and ready to go. And, we got the boosters while we are on the road.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #24

Can't hurt to get it sooner rather than later. I was shocked when I got on the CVS site on Saturday to see if I could get in line and it came back with availability for two days later. I get it tonight during what the weather guys are say will be a real gully washer. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #25

I walked in to CVS this morning without an appointment and got the booster as soon as the vial thawed out.
John Boy is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
I walked in to CVS this morning without an appointment and got the booster as soon as the vial thawed out.
As I stated earlier, I decided to wait to get a booster until I was parked next to my son's house. The mistake I made was not making an appointment ahead of time. Extra week being around grandkids who go to school.

Did not occur to me to just walk in.

I did have some covid symptoms morning before. A dry cough was most likely from bowing dust caused by 45 mph winds in the desert.

No reaction the booster.

Got the jab at a grocery store with a pharmacy. Gave a 10% off coupon for next food purchase. My beer was also on sale. I was down to less than 50 bottles.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #27

We both got our booster shots last Tuesday(Sams Club), Wednesday DW felt draggy and I was feverish and chilling. Both of us had sore arms for 3 days.

We feel this reaction was because we both contracted the virus in Sep.; getting the booster shot now(and flu shots next week) before leaving for Florida was wise, instead of waiting until we arrived in Florida.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply
Old 10-29-2021, 09:44 PM   #28

I had a worse reaction to my recent high dose flu shot than I did the Moderna vaccines. Symptoms were basically a night of shaky chills.

I get the Moderna booster early next week at my Doc's office. Because it is a lower dosage, I don't expect any adverse effects. However, I did schedule it so I had a week before our next camping trip. Better safe than sorry I guess.
Ldubs is offline   Reply
Closed Thread