Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #1

Planning an RV trip? Should you get your COVID shot/booster just before you go?

We're heading out on another RV trip this weekend and I was concerned about getting my Pfizer booster shot. I thought it would be worth giving my experience and whether or not it will impact my next RV trip.

I got the Pfizer booster shot at Publix yesterday. I told the pharmacist we were planning to take our Airstream on a several hour drive in a couple of days and if she thought the side effects might affect the trip. She said it's hard to tell. You may have a sore arm, might have flu like symptoms (body aches, slight fever etc) or no side effects at all.

In my case I woke up with a sore arm, but nothing that will prevent us from taking our RV trip.

These are my experiences only and your reactions may vary. Just to summarize how my shots affected me in terms of if I'd leave on a RV trip or not:

1st Pfizer shot - Sore arm at night. Hardly felt it the next day - would definitely not impact RV travel plans

2nd Pfizer shot - Arm was much sorer than the first shot. I definitely felt a bit out of sorts the next day with body aches and a very slight fever (maybe 99 degrees). I might have delated my RV trip on this one.

3rd Pfizer shot (booster) - I got this one late in the day (around 6 pm). Did not feel anything before I went to bed. Woke up a few times with a sore arm. Nothing too bad. Next day, arm is still sore, but no flu like symptoms. Would definitely NOT impact an RV trip.

Again, everyone's reactions will vary, I just thought it would be helpful to making RV trip decisions to post my personal experience.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #2

Not sure where you were headed to camp. Me, I would not have taken the booster right before a trip unless I knew upfront that I'd be staying in a crowded campground or park.

But as you said, we're all different. We all gotta do what we feel is best.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Not sure where you were headed to camp. Me, I would not have taken the booster right before a trip unless I knew upfront that I'd be staying in a crowded campground or park.

But as you said, we're all different. We all gotta do what we feel is best.
Yup, not advocating shots, just giving my experience. This time around it would not affect my RV trip.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #4

My first two of Moderna just gave me the sore arm, so I don't expect any worse from the booster. My undertanding of the Moderna booster is that it will be about 1/2 the volume of the first two, so maybe even less of a sore arm. I would proceed with the trip myself.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2021, 11:05 AM   #5

Just throwing this out for thought. It is my understanding the shots are not fully effective for about two weeks after injection so unless it is an extended trip why not just wait until you return and not worry about a possible reaction?

Ronnie
Old 09-29-2021, 11:10 AM   #6

DW and I got the Vax in April. Wife is immune compromised so we try to be extra careful. We both had only sore arms for both doses.

DW got the booster two weeks ago and has been miserable since. Cough, fever, nausea, chills. Finally started to eat a couple of days ago. Starting to show signs of improvement.

Due to her compromised immune system she takes forever to heal from most problems but this is hard on both of us.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobReab View Post
DW and I got the Vax in April. Wife is immune compromised so we try to be extra careful. We both had only sore arms for both doses.

DW got the booster two weeks ago and has been miserable since. Cough, fever, nausea, chills. Finally started to eat a couple of days ago. Starting to show signs of improvement.

Due to her compromised immune system she takes forever to heal from most problems but this is hard on both of us.
I can definitely see how that would affect RV travel plans. Hope she feels better soon!
Old 09-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtbuck12 View Post
Just throwing this out for thought. It is my understanding the shots are not fully effective for about two weeks after injection so unless it is an extended trip why not just wait until you return and not worry about a possible reaction?

Ronnie
I don't know if that applies to the booster or just the initial shots. I would imagine the effectiveness of the booster would take a similar amount of time. I just wanted to get mine as soon as possible even if it potentially impacted my RV travel plans. And since we take frequent, short trips, there really is no "good" time to get it.

I also want to get my flu shot but even though the CDC says there is no issue in getting a flu shot and COVID shot at the same time (https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid...covid-vaccines) I'm going to wait a few weeks because my flu shot last year definitely kicked my butt for 3 days and it would have resulted in a ruined/cancelled RV trip.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

Glad to see this discussion. I have similar concerns.

I am currently on a solo RV trip and will last more than 6 months since my second Pfizer shot.

Except for grocery shopping, my RV travels do not have much risk of covid exposure.

My concern is having a reaction while isolated. Often I do not even have a cell phone signal.

I could get the booster at a pharmacy near a hospital and hang out in a parking lot until I felt I was having no reaction.

I also have a concern about waiting till I get around family. My biggest risk factor for exposure is family catching at work or school and giving it to me.

In either case, I think the risk is small and much less than the risk of traveling.

However, I think it is always better to have family around it during a medical crisis.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
On my return from Mexico in April I got the Johnson & Johnson one and done. Wasn't my choice but that's what they were offering that day.

Recently received the e-mail that a booster was available for me. Pfizer. Log on at 10:00 AM and the first available appointment was 10:15. Musta not been busy. I went at 3:00 PM. No sore arm, got up next morning, headed for the campground, about noon I felt a little feverish, weak, achy. By a little after supper I was feeling fine again.

By contrast, I had my shingles Vax this summer. First shot. Nada. Went got the second shot, next morning I was achy, tired, unbalanced. Went the entire day that way. Second day, some of the same. By noon felt ok again.

I think the point is everybody reacts a little different, but from what I've seen and heard from friends the worst is about a day of minor flu like symptoms.

With that, a good friend, who was fully vaccinated got a breakthrough case. High fever and trouble breathing. BUT the upside, in less than 2 weeks was back to 95%. I'm still feeling effects from when I had it last February, although mine was before vaccination and was still, I guess by standards, a pretty mild case.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I deliberately planned my booster shot for the Friday afternoon we wouldn’t be traveling , just in case we got side effects. DH had no issues other than a slightly sore arm. I felt like I got hit by a truck! Much worse than the first series, and I was glad we planned a nice, quiet weekend. I woke up Monday morning at 3:00 am when my fever finally broke and I started sweating. I felt perfectly fine after that. So I definitely agree with timing your shots so you can stay in one place, just in case.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I had almost the same experience with the Pfizer shots as the OP. First shot - sore arm. Second shot - felt like I had the flu for about 18 hours. Booster - sore arm.

Difference is, I got my second shot at 9 AM in the morning and was in my coach heading out for a 200-mile drive by noon. Got to the destination and while discussing dinner plans with the Lovely and Talented Mrs Gypsy, started feeling sick. But was fine the next day. I guess I didn't even think about the reaction until it occurred. I'm very glad it didn't hit until we got parked, but it was not so bad that I couldn't have finished the drive.

So we left last week on a 2 month trip. I got the booster jab the first day they became available, giving me plenty of time to get over any reaction before departure. But the booster gave me no reaction except a sore arm.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 10-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #13

This discussion reminds me of something I heard many years ago.

Driving with the flu impairs your driving skill as much as much as being intoxicated.

I have had to keep going a few times with the flu because of family emergencies. It does not affect your judgement like booze.

Experience tells me to park the MH if not feeling good.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #14

I felt terrible after the third Pfizer shot for a day and got better after that.
Get the shot and be stationary somewhere for 24-36 hours would be my advice.
doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply